RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > Blogs > thomaspryan
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Rate this Entry

An Original NewMar NewAire

Posted 07-07-2019 at 06:36 AM by thomaspryan
Updated 07-30-2019 at 12:20 PM by thomaspryan

RV Projects: Fixing a Goof on the Roof -- 7/7/2019

When we first got our NewAire, the rearview camera was flakey; it kept cutting in and out. With the DW watching the monitor, I climbed up the rear of the coach and jiggled the wiring around the camera itself. Sure enough, we determined there was a gamey wiring connection.



I got up on the roof and found that the wiring junction between the long cable running from the front of the coach and the shorter camera cable in the rear had been sealed and anchored in a huge glob of Dicor sealant.

Hmmm.

I carefully removed the Dicor glob, remade the wiring connections, and then committed a serious goof: I tried to seal and anchor the exposed wiring junction using Eternabond Repair Tape, a great product but definitely not the right tool for the job.

It did not last, of course.

After about a year, the camera returned to its flakey ways, so I recently climbed back up onto the roof, pulled off the Eternabond tape, and started over.

Pictured below is the wiring junction that I needed to find a weatherproof way to secure to the roof (you can see the remnants of the Enternabond tape across the top of the picture):



It seemed the only reasonable fix would be to devise a solution that would enclose and protect the cable connections, and then seal that enclosure to the roof in a weatherproof manner - sans tape.

So of course, we headed to Home Depot for ideas. The DW suggested we look in the plumbing aisle, and this is what we came up with:



Yup, it's a 2.5 inch PVC end cap and a set of 1 inch L-brackets.

I modified to PVC cap to allow mounting of the brackets...



...and I made mouse hole openings for the larger long run cable and the smaller camera cable.



Next, I used Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant over the wiring connections and roof, screwed the cap assembly down, and sealed over everything: the cap base, the brackets, the wiring, the works.



Finally, because PVC is UV sensitive, I painted over the whole mess with Dicor 2 Part EPDM Rubber Roof Coating.



This is what the final fix looks like:



Yes, we are left with a dimple on the roof. But short of rerouting the front to back cable a better way, this is the best solution we could come up with.

It's certainly better than my misapplication of Eternabond tape, which is a good tool for the right job; just not this one.

So l can live with it. For now.

Click here to learn more about our 2001 NewAire.

Products Summary Section

Eternabond Repair Tape

Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant

Dicor 2 Part EPDM Rubber Roof Coating
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 227 Comments 0 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments

 
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.