Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
02 Adventurer TV replacement

Has anyone replaced the old TV in a 02 Winnebago Adventurer with a new flat screen TV?

If so could you share any information and pictures of what you did. We are wanting to replace our old and outdated TV.

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #2

Hey Ron.

Replacing the existing tube TV above the dash is very easy to do. I replaced the old TV in our Itasca a few years back. If your existing TV surround is plastic like mine is this is a simple job for sure. It's probably easy if you have a wood cabinetry surround too. I wanted the largest TV I could possibly fit in the area. I selected a 42".

There are lots of great threads detailing exactly how to replace the TV above the dash. Several guys have done a great job and kept the new TV inside the existing cabinetry.

If you go to the link below I posted pictures in a thread last year that showed my digital TV installed in our Itasca. I would be glad to describe the process of how I removed the old tv and installed the new one.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/upgr...na-357173.html
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
Has anyone replaced the old TV in a 02 Winnebago Adventurer with a new flat screen TV?

If so could you share any information and pictures of what you did. We are wanting to replace our old and outdated TV.

Thanks,

Ron
Ron,
The end result of a new TV installation is all dependent on how energetic you are. The "Plastic Surround" , as mentioned above, was at least on ours, just a backside facade that covered up the main, steel structural support for that rather large boat anchor, 100 lb. Sony that was installed from the factory in our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD. All these coaches are a little bit different. Some simply don't mind LAYING a larger LED flat screen on top of the existing face frame.

I couldn't do that. I wanted our installation to look as if it was factory done. So, I went through all the painstaking effort to butcher out all that factory steel support and re-design the face frame for the new LED 32" we bought for it. Based on the calculated remanufacturer of the face frame to accommodate the TV, a 32" was the largest I could go with.

So, again, depending on how you want yours to look when the job is complete, there's lots to take into consideration. By the way, if you end up cutting that steel structure out, be very protectfull of your eyes. I ended up getting an ultra small steel splinter in one of my eyes from using an air saw and, that cost me a visit to the eye doctor and about $350!

The new LED TV I installed was/is a mere 8 lbs vs the 100 lbs that the outgoing boat anchor weighed. So, there was absolutely ZERO need to keep that ultra large, ugly looking, no need for, steel structure. And, cutting it all away, provides for a much cleaner and nicer looking, factory finish. Good luck.
Scott

P.S. I too did a write up on my total job. Let me know if you'd like any pics of the various stages.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #4

Your '02 ought to be like the '03 in this thread?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Ron,
The end result of a new TV installation is all dependent on how energetic you are. The "Plastic Surround" , as mentioned above, was at least on ours, just a backside facade that covered up the main, steel structural support for that rather large boat anchor, 100 lb. Sony that was installed from the factory in our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD. All these coaches are a little bit different. Some simply don't mind LAYING a larger LED flat screen on top of the existing face frame.

I couldn't do that. I wanted our installation to look as if it was factory done. So, I went through all the painstaking effort to butcher out all that factory steel support and re-design the face frame for the new LED 32" we bought for it. Based on the calculated remanufacturer of the face frame to accommodate the TV, a 32" was the largest I could go with.

So, again, depending on how you want yours to look when the job is complete, there's lots to take into consideration. By the way, if you end up cutting that steel structure out, be very protectfull of your eyes. I ended up getting an ultra small steel splinter in one of my eyes from using an air saw and, that cost me a visit to the eye doctor and about $350!

The new LED TV I installed was/is a mere 8 lbs vs the 100 lbs that the outgoing boat anchor weighed. So, there was absolutely ZERO need to keep that ultra large, ugly looking, no need for, steel structure. And, cutting it all away, provides for a much cleaner and nicer looking, factory finish. Good luck.
Scott

P.S. I too did a write up on my total job. Let me know if you'd like any pics of the various stages.
Scott
Scott.

You did one of the best jobs in replacing the overhead TV. Can you post the link to your How To thread. I've read through it a couple of times and still enjoy it whenever it pops back up.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Hey Ron.

Replacing the existing tube TV above the dash is very easy to do. I replaced the old TV in our Itasca a few years back. If your existing TV surround is plastic like mine is this is a simple job for sure. It's probably easy if you have a wood cabinetry surround too. I wanted the largest TV I could possibly fit in the area. I selected a 42".

There are lots of great threads detailing exactly how to replace the TV above the dash. Several guys have done a great job and kept the new TV inside the existing cabinetry.

If you go to the link below I posted pictures in a thread last year that showed my digital TV installed in our Itasca. I would be glad to describe the process of how I removed the old tv and installed the new one.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/upgr...na-357173.html
Tom, the link you posted, I can't open any of the pictures.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Ron,

Scott
Yes I would very much like to see the pictures of the installation.

Rom
Old 04-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Tom, the link you posted, I can't open any of the pictures.
Lets see if they will work this way.

I removed the old anchor (tv) and bolted an articulating, multi angle TV mount directly to the steel framework that held the original TV. The mount I used was about $100 and made for TV's that weigh up to 100lbs. The 42" Smart TV I bought weighed about 18lbs. The TV mounted this way is solid as a rock and doesn't move at all when traveling. My TV hangs over the edge of the plastic fascia by several inches. I have a bungee attached to the mount and to the forward most part of the steel frame. The bungee pulls the TV snug against the plastic fascia of the original cabinetry. I use the area behind the TV for storage of large items like motorcycle helmets and stuff.

The whole job took about 45 minutes start to finish. I like having the larger TV because the 16:9 aspect ratio of modern tv's make images much smaller than a comparable sized 5:4 display.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes I would very much like to see the pictures of the installation.

Rom
Scott did a fantastic job removing the boat anchor and steel frame and rebuilding the cabinetry to fit the new TV. It looks factory. A few other guys have done the same thing or similar. It takes a little time but the finished product is very good.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #10

Hey gang,
Thanks for the nice comments on my TV job(s). While it was sort a pain, both jobs were actually quite fun knowing that, in the end, we'd end up with waaaaaaaay nicer and more modern TVs. Not to mention, I'd go up about a 1/16th of a mile per gallon by getting rid of that much weight. Anyway, here's my thread on the great TV changeout. There's plenty of nice folks on here that helped me make the decision to do ours.
Scott

New TV, let the games(or headaches) begin! - Winnebago Owners Online Community
Old 04-20-2018, 04:05 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Hey gang,
Thanks for the nice comments on my TV job(s). While it was sort a pain, both jobs were actually quite fun knowing that, in the end, we'd end up with waaaaaaaay nicer and more modern TVs. Not to mention, I'd go up about a 1/16th of a mile per gallon by getting rid of that much weight. Anyway, here's my thread on the great TV changeout. There's plenty of nice folks on here that helped me make the decision to do ours.
Scott

New TV, let the games(or headaches) begin! - Winnebago Owners Online Community
Where did you get your TV mount?

Thanks,

Ron
Old 04-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK

Thanks for all of your help, suggestions and input. I found the direction and ideas that match my coach.

Now I need help with the wiring to the original sound sustem?

Thanks,

Ron
Old 04-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Where did you get your TV mount?

Thanks,

Ron
Ron,
I'm assuming you mean the mount for the new TV right? If so, if you'd take a couple of minutes and glance over my photos I posted in the link above, you'll come up on the ones that show the inside of the wooden face frame. I did like a few others and that was to search for a TV mount that I could use and, that would be somewhat easy to attach and, yet still provide me with the end result of a totally framed in TV. Using a commercially supplied mount, especially one that has all the pivot points, would have posed quite a challenge.

So, sat there, looking at the back of the TV and the back side of that existing face frame and, studied on what kind of mount I could build, that would be easy to install and, would provide for an EXACT centering of the TV inside that face frame. Well, the idea that I used, was in all reality, quite easy. They say that pictures are worth a thousand words so, I'll try and use a lot less than a thousand.

Basically, I created a wooden mount/frame, that sits WITHIN the back side of the factory face frame. Here's how it works. The first thing that's needed to be done is, do whatever alterations are needed to the factory face frame to accommodate the new TV INSIDE the factory face frame, just like the old one was. Once that's done, and whatever clearance in the total perimeter is needed, then, lay that factory face frame on it's face and, lay the new TV, face down, right inside the newly altered face frame.

Now, let's just say that you have 1/8" clearance all the way around the new TV. The next thing to do is, create some shims or spacers that basically are inserted between all four edges of the new TV and the inside perimeter of altered face frame. What those shims/spacers will do is, lock that TV in a centered position and will not allow it to move which, will goof up the finished look from the front side if this happens.

Then, because (at least in ours and many other Winnes/Itascas) the original factory face frame has "ears" on it, (those ears are wooden projections that protrude INTO the framing of the front cabinetry. And, those ears are what's used to actually mount the face frame to the cabinetry with small wood screws, two on each side, accessible from the inside of both adjoining cabinets.

I then cut a piece of I think, either 1"x10" or 1" x 12" pine that would fit in between the two mounting ears of the original face frame. I then added "ears" or mounting wood, to the ends of that piece of pine I cut. I then cut out, all that I needed on that piece of pine that would allow for access to any and all connections on the back side and, maybe even the side of the back (hard to explain). Now, all I had to do was/is, attach the two sets of ears together. OH, I almost forgot, I had to precisely drill the TV mount holes in in that 1"x10" pine. Then, use some, I think, 8mm screws, of the right length, to attach the wood, to the back of the TV.

Now, as you can see in the pics, the TV is mounted to the backside, inside the ears, of the original face frame. When that's done, since that original factory face frame is the actual TV mount, I re-drilled out the two small screw holes that are/were used for mounting the face frame to the two opposing cabinet face frames. I did that so I could install, (as you see in the pictures) two on each side, what's called "T-nuts". Those are used to actually mount the entire assembly, TV and face frame, to the original side sections of the opposing two cabinets.

As you can see, there is NO METAL mounting that new, 8 lb. LED TV in that original face frame. There was and is, no need for any metal in such a light application.

So, maybe this is more than a thousand words but, I kind-a wanted to you really understand how I mounted it. An, looking at it in the pictures, it's pretty easy to figure out how it was done. I hope I've described the mounting system I used/created so you'll understand it. Any questions?
Scott

Quote:
OK

Thanks for all of your help, suggestions and input. I found the direction and ideas that match my coach.

Now I need help with the wiring to the original sound sustem?

Thanks,

Ron
Ron,

It would take me 3 pages of explanation of how I setup my sound system. Yes, I had the original Winne/Itasca version of a make-believe "surround sound" system. But, that system is severely flawed. There really is no way to adjust it so the sound more like it should be.

So, in short, I ripped out the entire Winne/Itasca system and, installed a receiver/amp for the main speakers and, also a smaller amp for the two base/woofer speakers that are supplied by Itasca. When it was all said and done, it was a ton of work but, my sound is far, far better and more natural than it ever was with the original system.
Scott
Old 04-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Scott this will be very helpful.

Ron

Tags
ace, adventurer, replace, replacement, vent