Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2017, 05:35 AM   #1

03 Adventurer no power in Slide

So last month prior to leaving for a weekend trip to Bristol wife and i stayed in motor home. All was good. 3 days later we drive to Bristol TN for a weekend. When we get to the site we open up the camper and go to pick some items up. On our return it was getting dark and I went to turn on light above table and got nothing. Coffee maker was on and working but no 12 volt is working.

When i got home I crawled around and checked all the breakers i could find and nothing shows as bad. I downloaded the wiring diagram from Winnibago and still cannot find my issue. It appears wire MM and DJ are both missing power at the plug behind the sofa. I followed the wires best I can all the way to belo the stove in the galley cabinets and dont see power their either. DJ also goes thru the big block at the drivers side front and is wired to the dash compass. No power there either.

The issue really is on the diagram i cannot figure out where either wire really gets the power from the MH. I am guessing either a blown fuse, or a corroded wire. I did find some grounds under the battery rack that were corroded off and fixed those but the issue is the yellow wires have no 12 volts. There is a spare wire behind the sofa that has 12 volts, but i hate switching stuff unless absolutely needed. I'd like to find out why neither circuit has DC voltage. Anyone run into this or able to read the diagrams enough to figure out the beginning location....
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2017, 06:21 AM   #2

Update.... Check twice is the thing to do. After printing the diagrams I realized the wire was actually JG and not DJ. I went to test the wire again behind the sofa and found it indeed had power. What i also realized is the plug was still unplugged from previous testing. I plugged it in and all the lights turned on...So.... apparently the bunch of ground wires I found corroded off the frame behind the battery really was the issue, but being the plug was still unplugged the flow of electrons never made it to the light

Wife is happy she can see now....

now onto the pesky ABS light...
Old 05-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2ztx View Post
Update.... Check twice is the thing to do. After printing the diagrams I realized the wire was actually JG and not DJ. I went to test the wire again behind the sofa and found it indeed had power. What i also realized is the plug was still unplugged from previous testing. I plugged it in and all the lights turned on...So.... apparently the bunch of ground wires I found corroded off the frame behind the battery really was the issue, but being the plug was still unplugged the flow of electrons never made it to the light

Wife is happy she can see now....

now onto the pesky ABS light...
I have an '03 Suncruiser 35U and always like hearing when someone figures out their issues with a similar coach.

You mentioned the corroded grounds on the frame behind the battery tray. Under the steps I assume? I am curious why these damaged grounds only affected part of the coaches 12v system? I haven't looked real close at the battery grounds under the step. Maybe if I did I would understand there may be additional grounds on the system.

As far as the plug behind the sofa. I can barely see my electrical wiring behind the sofa but it appears to all terminate in a 4x4 square electrical box mounted to the outside wall of the slide. Is the plug inside this box or am I just not seeing it somewhere outside the box.

I should probably download the electrical diagrams and look them over before asking silly questions. I've had great luck with this coach but there will come a time when something throws me a curve.

Thanks for posting the update.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #4

The 4" box is for the 110 volt connections. I have the electric folding sofa so folded it flat and it gave me access to the 12 volt harness also. There is 3 harness's behind my sofa. One for sofa bed, one not hooked to anything then the one with 6 wires for lights. 2 wires are marker light wires, 2 are for the 12 volt lights under the cabinets and not sure on the other ones.

All the grounds terminate in certain places and digging into the manual showed them near the step. I also noticed that when i checked my propane on the panel the step went in...hence i started looking at the step and found the bundle of white wires with most of them corroded off. I removed all of them, replaced the connectors on the end and re bolted to the frame and not only did the step now not go out but my gauges appear to work now. (and my lights).

I enjoy working on my motor home but its a 2003 and seems like after i fix one item i get another one....
Old 05-14-2017, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2ztx View Post
The 4" box is for the 110 volt connections. I have the electric folding sofa so folded it flat and it gave me access to the 12 volt harness also. There is 3 harness's behind my sofa. One for sofa bed, one not hooked to anything then the one with 6 wires for lights. 2 wires are marker light wires, 2 are for the 12 volt lights under the cabinets and not sure on the other ones.

All the grounds terminate in certain places and digging into the manual showed them near the step. I also noticed that when i checked my propane on the panel the step went in...hence i started looking at the step and found the bundle of white wires with most of them corroded off. I removed all of them, replaced the connectors on the end and re bolted to the frame and not only did the step now not go out but my gauges appear to work now. (and my lights).

I enjoy working on my motor home but its a 2003 and seems like after i fix one item i get another one....
Got ya, that makes a lot of sense kb. Next time I fold the sofa down I will pay a little closer attention to the wires behind it.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, power, slide, vent