Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2017, 01:53 PM   #1

04 Journey 39W Fuel Cap.

We have the subject Journey. Fuel capacity 90 gallons.

I run until the gauge is in the yellow/orange?...often quite a bit into it. When I fill up it takes right around 60 gallons [58 to 63]. I know these tanks have a problematic vent line, but I take my time and feel that I'm filling as much as possible.

At what gauge indication point do you fill your tank, and how many gallons to you get in there? I feel like I'm "leaving a lot on the table".

I once ran long enough for a terrible SQUALKING to come over the air which I guess was urging me to get fuel promptly. Unfortunately I did not record the fill info.

What think you?

Thanks,
Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo88 View Post
We have the subject Journey. Fuel capacity 90 gallons.

I run until the gauge is in the yellow/orange?...often quite a bit into it. When I fill up it takes right around 60 gallons [58 to 63]. I know these tanks have a problematic vent line, but I take my time and feel that I'm filling as much as possible.

At what gauge indication point do you fill your tank, and how many gallons to you get in there? I feel like I'm "leaving a lot on the table".

I once ran long enough for a terrible SQUALKING to come over the air which I guess was urging me to get fuel promptly. Unfortunately I did not record the fill info.

What think you?

Thanks,
Ron
Well Ron,
We have an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. Ours has the 100 gallon tank. And yes, it most of the time, is a pain to fill, from either side. But, you ask how much to put in? Well, I fill it 'till it's full. Sometimes that means maybe as much as 12-15 gallons more than when it originally "clicked" off.
At that point, I fight it, clicking off, fill, click off, fill, click, fill, click etc. etc. etc. All the way up to the point at which I see the level in the neck. The coach is sitting about as level as possible, based on the average fueling dock. So, I'm not sitting at some precarious angle and either creating a bubble or anything.

So, filling it is just a pain, sometimes that process can take up to 15 or more minutes. The initial amount takes minimal time, based on no foaming of the fuel in the tank. It's only when the last 10 or more gallons are flowing. I like to resume the trip with what I'm pretty sure is a completely full tank. That way I'm at ease as to how far or how long I can go without stopping someplace that's crowded or high price etc.

I don't like inconveniencing people by taking too long to fill. I try and fill as fast as possible yet, the foaming and clicking off, take their toll on the filling process. When at home, I fill late at night at the most reasonably priced station. That way, it's not crowded and I get to choose my pump. But, on the road, I take what's available and choose the position wisely so as not to get bound up and have to disconnect.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #3

Thanks, FIRE UP...can always count on you.

I agree w/ all that you say...I do the same.

My question was not presented properly so I'll try to clarify. Tank capacity is 90 gallons, yet I seem able to only add sixty or so. The assumption is that twenty five or thirty gallons remains in my tank when I stop to fill up.
Is the "reserve indicator" wildly pessimistic or?

Thanks,
ron
Old 05-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo88 View Post
Thanks, FIRE UP...can always count on you.

I agree w/ all that you say...I do the same.

My question was not presented properly so I'll try to clarify. Tank capacity is 90 gallons, yet I seem able to only add sixty or so. The assumption is that twenty five or thirty gallons remains in my tank when I stop to fill up.
Is the "reserve indicator" wildly pessimistic or?

Thanks,
ron
Ron,
Sorry if I got out of control in my answer, I do that. Anyway, I sometimes wonder too just what kind of "real" reserve we do have. My coach has the LOW THRESHOLD warning when I seemingly hit the 25 gallon mark. One of my light bar icons lightup, "Check Info Center" to be exact and, when you look at the LCD info center, it's flashing LOW THRESHOLD-25 GALLONS.

But, if I were to stop right at that point and fill up, even after clicking a few thousand times 'till I see the level at the filler neck, there's no way I'd get 75 gallons into that coach, to bring it to the full 100 gallons, it's supposedly carries. I might get 60-65 or so in it.

So, to truthfully answer your question, pretty much can't.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #5

I try to fuel in lanes that have the "small" nozzle.

When it clicks off the first time ... I pull the nozzle out so that it is just barely in the filler ... usually a couple of clicks will get enough fuel that I can see it foaming in the neck ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:28 AM   #6

Thanks, Scott;

Sounds like 60 or 65 gallons is all that fits into a 90 gallon tank w/o running deep into the reserve function.

Thanks,
Ron

Tags
fuel, journey