RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #1

14 Itasca Meridian 42E thoughts/opinions

Hi guys, We're seriously considering trading our 15 Solei 36G in for 14 Meridian 42E for the much larger floorplan, towing capacity and because we want to take month long trips and feel the that larger Meridian would suit our needs better. They're giving us an awesome number trade in wise and quite honestly within 7K of the offers that I've had while trying to sell ours privately so we feel for a number of reasons that we're better off trading it. The Meridian only has 11k miles on it and was garaged while not being used since it was new. It's a beautiful coach inside and out and honestly looks showroom. It's has a bunch of added options because the owner custom ordered it. I'd love to hear opinions good and bad from people with either the Journey or the Meridian 42E seeing as they're both the same. WE love our 36G and love the floor plan but we want to travel and I've got a 24' aluminum trailer that my wife's Wrangler unlimited fits in perfectly along with my MX bike and a few other toys and the 36G tows her Jeep awesome but can't tow the trailer with the Jeep in it. Thanks guys, Mike

Digger29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think your floor plan is a flip of mine. Like me, you'll love your new rig.

Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The Meridian 42E is certainly a very nice coach. Be careful and make sure you do your homework.
Check pricing on both RVTrader.com and RVT.com for this coach (plus or minus 1 year) and rank them by price to see the high and low prices. Make sure you open up the search area to nationwide. Also do this for your current coach. This will give you some feel for the pricing.

I like that this model has the Cummins ISL and Allison MH3000. I would avoid the Cummins ISB and Allison 2500 for towing.

The only thing I don't like is the rear radiator design.
Does the coach you are looking at have the Aqua Hot system?
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #4

May want to see if the original Scwhintek slide mechanisms on driver side slides were upgraded to the improved Powergear Slim Rack system. Don't know if they've been an issue for the 42e, but they have had problems (mainly on the longer slides like the full wall slide on my Journey 36M) and plenty of posts in the forums on the topic. Not a deal breaker but something to be aware of as expensive to fix/upgrade if one fails.
Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:51 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Also, a 2014 model coach may have 2012 or 2013 tires and batteries so make sure you check the dates.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:25 PM   #6

Curious At what age should tires be changed out at?
Richcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Most recommend replacement at 7 years from the date stamped into the sidewall. There are some exceptions where you can have them inspected yearly until 10 years.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #8

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I was able to get his original build/price sheet from Winnebago yesterday and he did add some nice options to it but it doesn't have the Aqua Hot system. He already had both small slides upgraded to the Powergear system which in my opinion is just about as flawed as the Scwhintek system because we had 3 slide failures on our 15 36G with the Powergear system. I do everything by the book with the running coach running on high idle and leveled and we still had 3 failures in the first 8000 miles on it. We've only walked through it once and it's beautiful inside and out and now that we're doing the deal we're heading back over to really go over everything bumper to bumper on it. It's been garaged since day one and just clicked 11k mileage. He took awesome care of it because it really looks like brand new.

Digger29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca