RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
1998 Winnebago Rialta 22RC

I have a friend who is interested in a 1998 Rialta 22RC. It has 91,000 miles and the interior has been remodeled recently. The owner is asking $25,500.

I know nothing about Winnebago and am hoping you can guide us on this. What can you tell me about this model, good, bad, or ugly?

Your help will be appreciated!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Is the Rialta that rare that none of you guys know anything about it?

Old 02-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Is the Rialta that rare that none of you guys know anything about it?
Gas or diesel chassis? That seems awfully steep for a coach that old.

And yes, they are pretty rare. I don't personally know anyone that's ever owned one. I have seen one for sale, once, at Crestview RV down in Buda Texas. It was in the mid-teens just a couple of years ago, and in fair condition.

Has your friend looked at prices for a similar model on a nationwide search through RV Trader?

ETA - Holy Cow, I just did a web search on the Rialta. Dang, those things hold their values like a RoadTrek does. maybe I was looking at a LeSharo instead of a Rialta.

Rialta Heaven
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #4

Hi Joe,

I have seen a few on the road and in parks. I recall reading the toilet was a wet room though.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This Rialta is a gasser. I did a search on RVTrader.com but only came up with three.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
https://vermont.craigslist.org/rvs/d...805267215.html

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post

Too much difference in the year model to get much of a comparison. Thanks anyway!

Old 02-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #8

I had a 1998 Rialta FD (or perhaps the RD was the lettering) which had twin beds in the back, small 3-way fridge, and was powered by a Volkswagen VR6. Drove well handled well, got good mileage. Never had an issue with the mechanics. Don’t count on your local VW dealer to work on them. Most didn’t service them when they were still being built, can’t imagaine it’s got any better. Have the same issue with my Ford based Newmar.

Back then, may be different now, there was only one manufacturer (Continental) that made tires that could support the weight. (Single rear tires). I had several instances of rivering on the back tires. Like I said, may be better now, or could have just been the one I had.

What I liked: Small size, powered by VW, twin beds, easy to get into any and every where, and the mileage. It did have the feature (Motor Assist) that allowed the water heater to be warmed by the engine coolant which was a plus, although I found that if you go too fast, it would cook the wiring but again could have just been mine.

What I didn’t like can be summed up by rereading the first paragraph AND the bathroom. Absolutely hated it. It had an old style Pullman swing down sink that only emptied when you stored it back, and sometime, it would slosh out. To fully sit down on the toilet you had to extend the bathroom sidewalls lest you be sitting in the “hall”. Taking a shower was another piece of work. You had to hang a shower curtain everytime you wanted to shower, and you had to turn on a pump to pump the water from the shower pan into the holding tank. There were various filtering components that always clogged up and had to be cleaned lest you have a backup. Kind of like haveing your septic tank uphill....

And to pick nits (not with you) most RV dealers call these things a B Class, when in fact they are a C Class. Everything from the front seats back was added by Winnebago. What comes from VW was the cab and engine/tranny, and only the front drive wheels..

IMO that’s too much money for a 20 yo Rialta.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I had a 1998 Rialta FD (or perhaps the RD was the lettering) which had twin beds in the back, small 3-way fridge, and was powered by a Volkswagen VR6. Drove well handled well, got good mileage. Never had an issue with the mechanics. Donít count on your local VW dealer to work on them. Most didnít service them when they were still being built, canít imagaine itís got any better. Have the same issue with my Ford based Newmar.

Back then, may be different now, there was only one manufacturer (Continental) that made tires that could support the weight. (Single rear tires). I had several instances of rivering on the back tires. Like I said, may be better now, or could have just been the one I had.

What I liked: Small size, powered by VW, twin beds, easy to get into any and every where, and the mileage. It did have the feature (Motor Assist) that allowed the water heater to be warmed by the engine coolant which was a plus, although I found that if you go too fast, it would cook the wiring but again could have just been mine.

What I didnít like can be summed up by rereading the first paragraph AND the bathroom. Absolutely hated it. It had an old style Pullman swing down sink that only emptied when you stored it back, and sometime, it would slosh out. To fully sit down on the toilet you had to extend the bathroom sidewalls lest you be sitting in the ďhallĒ. Taking a shower was another piece of work. You had to hang a shower curtain everytime you wanted to shower, and you had to turn on a pump to pump the water from the shower pan into the holding tank. There were various filtering components that always clogged up and had to be cleaned lest you have a backup. Kind of like haveing your septic tank uphill....

And to pick nits (not with you) most RV dealers call these things a B Class, when in fact they are a C Class. Everything from the front seats back was added by Winnebago. What comes from VW was the cab and engine/tranny, and only the front drive wheels..

IMO thatís too much money for a 20 yo Rialta.
Thanks Tom! I'll pass that info on to my friend!

Old 02-15-2019, 04:03 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joe - there are always atleast couple of dozen or more of these at the Winnebago GNR every year. They are a true classic. They have their own club within WIT known as the "No-To-Bagos" - for all the smaller vintage coaches. You might want to Google that and perhaps you can get more info for your friend. Many of them have been completely renovated and updated even with new paint jobs. Good luck

bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago