Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2 Meridian Mysteries

I have a 2006 Meridian 36G. I have had it for 2 years. I have two mysteries that I haven't been able to answer. Hopefully you guys can. First, how do I get the actual motor home mileage to appear on the speedometer? It reads trip mileage and I can't find out how to change it. Secondly, above the bedroom tv that is a round black device that has wires connected to it from behind the tv trim. I have no idea what this is supposed to do. Look forward to the answers.

Wally
fudgeanyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgeanyone View Post
I have a 2006 Meridian 36G. I have had it for 2 years. I have two mysteries that I haven't been able to answer. Hopefully you guys can. First, how do I get the actual motor home mileage to appear on the speedometer? It reads trip mileage and I can't find out how to change it. Secondly, above the bedroom tv that is a round black device that has wires connected to it from behind the tv trim. I have no idea what this is supposed to do. Look forward to the answers.

Wally
Wally,
If I'm not mistaken, on your dash, that is, the area very close to all the gauges, you'll find a small, spring loaded, BLACK plastic toggle switch. ON EDIT: I just looked up a Meridian dash and, if the '06 is the same as an '07, the little spring loaded switch I'm speaking of is in the upper right corner of the dash panel. If you Push and hold it, ( for about 1-3 seconds), that will change your digital readout of trip mileage, to odometer. At least that's the way our '04 Itasca Horizon on the Freightliner XC Chassis works.

As for your bedroom TV "Orb", I have no clue, pretty sure our coach does not have that.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Mine is in the instrument cluster area on the right side. There's a black rocker switch that is spring return.

To switch to accumulated mileage, press and hold for a second or two and it'll switch from Trip to Accumulated.

To erase Trip mileage, only while displaying Trip mileage, press and HOLD the rocker until the trip mileage zeros.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Do you have the manuals that came with it? What chassis is it? Should have that info in the manuals. Ours is like going to the library!
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the quick replies. I have the rocker switch on the dash. I have tried pushing it but nothing happened. I never thought to try holding it down. I will give that a shot. I have my manuals but could find the answer to either of my questions. It is on a freightliner chassis. Hopefully someone will come up with an answer to my other problem.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Resetting the trip odometer will erase the current display and start counting at 0000.0 miles. A short press of the trip reset (less than 3 seconds) will toggle the display between trip mode and odometer mode. A long press of the trip reset (greater than 3 seconds) while in trip mode will reset the trip odometer.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The round black device is probably the infrared repeater that transmits remote control commands up to the front of the RV via that wire. As originally installed it controlled the satellite receiver box and/or DVD device, tuner, etc that were originally installed by Winnebago in the cabinets above the dash. If your TV's have been changed out from OEM setup and/or there were changes made to the original AV/TV setup, you will have to use a trial and error process to see what, if any, changes were made. On my coach the remote controller box was located in the space above the original TV.

I think the system was made by River Park back then. You may be able to find some old documents about it via Google searches.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Good afternoon Wally. Sorry I cannot help you with your odometer question as I have a Monaco coach, but I can tell you about the round black button above the TV in your bedroom. That should be the receiver for your remote to get the info to the TV when you select different functions on your remote. It help gather the signals from the remote and get them to the tuner. I have a Sony in my home bedroom and it has the same black button you are asking about. It plugs into the back of the TV. Hope this answers your question.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Also just to remind you, a long press of Trip Reset (>3 sec.) while in Odometer mode will toggle between Miles & Kilometers. I have done this once or twice by accident.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the help. I will check out the remote idea. I think you maybe right about the satellite system. When I bought the home I had to put in my own satellite receiver. I will look for connections for my receiver box. Two mysteries solved.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Update

I am sure everyone is waiting to hear how my two mysteries worked out. I attempted holding the rocker switch on the dash down for several seconds and nothing happened. I took the cover off the back of the dash and found only one wire attached to the rocker switch. After a little digging I found a wire that had the same fitting and size and attached it. I turned on the key and pushed the button and now I am looking at the actual mileage of my home. Thank you all for your imput. I am on to the second mystery.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:33 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

You didn't answer the second question, but as mentioned above, it is an IR repeater from up front. You will find another one on the dash, and maybe 2 more in the cabinets. The one in the rear is wired up front, not to the rear TV

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:55 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

The device in the bedroom TV cabinet has two wires attached to it. In the front cabinet above the drives seat I found a wire with a rubber piece on the end the is bent at about a 60% angle. At the far end is what looks like a glass bead. I think this is what is supposed to carry the signal. But nothing happens with my satellite remote. It may be that my remote is RF rather than IR. I am still working on it.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgeanyone View Post
The device in the bedroom TV cabinet has two wires attached to it. In the front cabinet above the drives seat I found a wire with a rubber piece on the end the is bent at about a 60% angle. At the far end is what looks like a glass bead. I think this is what is supposed to carry the signal. But nothing happens with my satellite remote. It may be that my remote is RF rather than IR. I am still working on it.
Just fyi, your cellphone video camera is probably IR-sensitive. Look at the remote with it as you push a button to see if you can see the IR led light up. If so, you can use that to check the IR repeater (with someone at the other end to aim and push a button on the remote).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Hi Wally, I too have an '06 Meridian 36G. Can't add anything to what you've been told here, but if you have any other problems, I might be able to help in the future.
Steve
Old 02-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

If the "button" in the bed room has nothing to do with the TV then it may be a thermostat sensor for the rear heat if you have multiple zones.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:46 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

It's an IR sensor for the IR repeater up front.. guaranteed..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:19 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the help. The button is for the IR remote for the television. My problem is the old Directv receiver I use has an RF remote and can't be changed to an IR like the new ones. Thank everyone for all the help as usual you all came through for me.