Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #1

2001 Adventurer 37G - Replacing batteries

Hey Guys:

I am ramping up for my solar install and am looking at replacing the existing batteries that came with the coach (2001 Adventurer 37G) when I bought it. I would be replacing two (2) Exide 12 volt batteries with four (4) 6 volt batteries to put into the existing battery compartment under the stairs. I have seen a few pictures where people have put in 4 batteries in the compartment, but I have measured that space and can't find any 6 volt that would fit side by side.

Also, for anyone that has done this with the same kind of compartment, did you move the positive stud out of the way or did you leave in place and force the batteries in?

Finally, there is a little lip in the front that limits the front to back space to about 14".

I'm pretty sure it can be done, as evidenced by the other posters. Just looking to get a confirmation from the group and if there was any strengthening of the compartment that had to be done because of the additional weight.

Thanks
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8547.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	219392  
Shiba_Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #2

I've read were some have gotten around this problem but getting a taller 6 volt battery. Only works if you have headroom in the battery compartment. Then over the years I've read several times of people beefing up their compartments with extra steel, extending or widening the existing compartment, adding pull out drawers, and others that found a new space to put additional batteries.

So keep searching the various forums for ideas. Something is bound to work for your situation.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #3

There is about 11-12 inches of headroom in there before it hits the stairs. I'm seeing the normal height of 6 volt batteries to be about 9.5 inches if you go about 200-250ah. I would think that some beefing up of the compartment would be needed but wanted to see how other people have done it before I go about fiddling with it.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #4

I have the same coach. I don’t know if you’ve had it on the scale yet, mine is pretty close to max weight. I’m thinking of doing lithium for the weight savings. Another idea is to buy another set of sealed batteries and relocate to a basement area.
Good luck
Old 09-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have two motorhomes, a 1999 Brave and a 2003 Adventurer. I was able to install 4 6 volt batteries and the chassis battery on the battery tray in the Brave , but not in the Adventurer. The Adventurer lacked about 1/2" in width. A friend with a 2005 Adventurer found the same. He relocated the chassis battery to the front in the engine compartment and then was able to install 4 GC2 6 volt batteries. He just bought a new motorhome and had the same problem. He decided to put an AGM chassis battery in the compartment behind the door. Worked out nicely. He also installed the solar controller and inverter in that compartment.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #6

I have had it weighed (not 4 corner) and saw that I was about 500 pounds light of the limit on the front axle and about 2200 pounds light on the rear axle. I thought about moving the chassis battery to the engine compartment but I am trying to make things as simple as I can.

The whole reason for the quantity of 6 volt batteries is to make sure that I don't run out of juice overnight. That might be overkill as I will have the solar for sunny days charging the batteries and the generator if needed on cloudy days.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Batteries

Had a 31 ft Adventurer with batteries under step. Originally came with 2 12 volt, group 27 batteries. I replaced with 3 group 31 under step.

AGM (NAPA) batteries made by "East Penn Mfg" On next coach 35FT Adventurer 35U batteries were in a compartment by the engine. Likewise used Group 31 AGM because the original batteries had to be removed to add water.

AGM batteries cost about $60 more than regular, but last longer and don't run out of water. Our newer diesel uses 6 coach and 2 engine batteries - All AGM group 31
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiba_Alex View Post
There is about 11-12 inches of headroom in there before it hits the stairs. I'm seeing the normal height of 6 volt batteries to be about 9.5 inches if you go about 200-250ah. I would think that some beefing up of the compartment would be needed but wanted to see how other people have done it before I go about fiddling with it.
I just measured my GC2 6 volt batteries. They are almost 11" to the top of the terminals.

Exide, Interstate and NAPA all state that their 6 volt deep cycle batteries are close to 11" high.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:19 AM   #9

I was thinking about doing 3 Group 31 batteries as an alternative. That goes into the whole 6 volt vs 12 volt debate. Right now, I am trying to keep it on the cheaper side. I don't want to go too cheap that I am getting crap quality, but don't want to go to the Rolls Royce of batteries either. Weight is always going to be an issue. Since the existing exide batteries are about 50 pounds and I would be replacing those with at least two new batteries, they would be like for like weight. If I add an additional group 31 battery, that would be added weight but weight that I can manage. I need to lose some anyways.

Currently the capacity that I have with the existing batteries has been fine for light overnight usage, but now that I have been looking at the article "The 12 volt side of things", the batteries were probably wired the wrong way and only using one batteries capacity. (+ to - to each battery but + and - to/from the coach were on one battery and not + on battery A and - on battery B)
Old 09-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #10

Twinboat:

I was going from memory and it's clear for about 5 minutes and then hazy after that. There have been too much that I have been looking at that I may have mistaken. Thanks for the correction.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiba_Alex View Post
I was thinking about doing 3 Group 31 batteries as an alternative. That goes into the whole 6 volt vs 12 volt debate. Right now, I am trying to keep it on the cheaper side. I don't want to go too cheap that I am getting crap quality, but don't want to go to the Rolls Royce of batteries either. Weight is always going to be an issue. Since the existing exide batteries are about 50 pounds and I would be replacing those with at least two new batteries, they would be like for like weight. If I add an additional group 31 battery, that would be added weight but weight that I can manage. I need to lose some anyways.

Currently the capacity that I have with the existing batteries has been fine for light overnight usage, but now that I have been looking at the article "The 12 volt side of things", the batteries were probably wired the wrong way and only using one batteries capacity. (+ to - to each battery but + and - to/from the coach were on one battery and not + on battery A and - on battery B)
Don't worry about the battery A to B wiring. Probably a immeasurable difference unless your drawing maximum amps.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #12

I had the 2000 37g. There was no way you would be putting 4 house batteries under the stairs in that coach. How about instead of four batteries, just buy two bigger high end ones. I only had two house batteries, and I could run my furnace for one and a half nights. I couldnt quite make the second night without running the genny in the day to charge back up. Other than that, I didnt find any problems. I usually run the generator for a few hours in the morning while cooking breakfast, and a few hours at night. Obviously, if at a campground with electricity, no problem at all.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:09 AM   #13

I have four GC2s and my chassis battery under the step in my '04 F53 based Adventurer. Chassis battery is in the middle. I think my Mom's '01 battery area is the same as mine.

Mine is very tight, and I did move the wire lug, but I made it all fit. I wonder if there aren't differences in year/chassis/model that make some units not have enough room? I need to go back through some threads myself (I put a post in the mods thread with a picture and link if you didn't see that) and look at Mom's, see if there are some obvious differences to be seen.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to sgordo88 Send a message via MSN to sgordo88 Send a message via Yahoo to sgordo88
I am curious what you finally did, Alex.
sgordo88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, batteries, vent