RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #15

Thank you! I will call him.

tiredeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #16

We added freon twice. When I did it I didn't know how much to add. It didn't seem cool enough. I then had a truck mechanic from work added freon and put gauges on it and idled it at 1500 rpm. It was cooling well then. I don't know if it could have leaked out or not. I will have to call him again and see if he will come over.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:54 PM   #17

Linda n nJim: The Winnebago has about 33,000 miles on it. Jim knew it wouldn't be a smooth ride. I (Karen) expected it to be smoother. Why else would someone put themselves through all the bouncing it does like an amusement ride. The dog is skeered to death and it gives me a headache. I (Karen) don't enjoy hearing Jim hit those wakeup lines along the highway every few minutes. I don't want to go back to a travel trailer, but they are sure quieter going down the road. You are right that they apparently didn't maintain it. Jim just found out that the outer bushing on both back and front sway bars are worn and need replaced. They are rubber and he thinks they should have been neoprene. He plans on calling around tomorrow. Jim also thinks the sway bars may have already been replaced with a heavier one. These are 1 3/4" in diameter. Is this bigger than the originals would have been?

We aren't offended. We have camped since we were kids, but wee have always had campers. I inherited a little money from my Mom last fall and wanted to try an RV. I really like lots of things about this Winnie. The heat and the ride are not fun!
Old 09-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #18

Karen.......... I am SO GLAD you have taken the initiative and are doing something to learn more about what you have by visiting this (and I'm sure other) websites and forums, and not just complaining about it. You will always find help here.

Learning to drive these things is easy. Learning to drive them WELL, takes time, practice and patience. I can go all day without hitting the rumble strips, but, I've been doing this for awhile. I would encourage you to keep at it and challenge yourself to get better, and fine tuning your suspension by installing the correct bushings among other things. Maybe give Jim a break, and even try driving yourself?

Lastly.......Linda and I actually live just down the street from you. We would be happy to be one of the resources you look to for help. Let us know if we can help!
Lindan n Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:07 AM   #19

You actually know where I live other than just the town? That's kinda scary considering we are starting to travel a bit. I thought people could only see the town. Yikes.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindan n Jim View Post
I'd be interested to know what tiredeere's expectation was prior to buying a 2001 Winnebago. As others have noted, the dash AC is designed to cool the cab of a pickup truck, not a 1,600 cubic foot uninsulated box. Cooling the coach using the genny and roof A/C is the most practical and common way of cooling while underway.

Plus the poor thing is 16 years old, and apparently was not previously serviced well based on the expenses for mechanical repairs incurred prior to their first trip. Depending on the miles it has on it, of course it will rattle. Most of the do to some degree or another. It gets pushed around by semi's Once again, what was the expectation?

I know I am going to insult some readers here, but I have personally run in to many new RVers that think their experience should be that their rig drives like a Cadillac, gets the mileage of a Prius, is as rock stable as their S&B house even while underway and somehow magically transports them across the country with no effort on their part, all the while having gnomes come out at night to fix, repair and adjust anything that annoys them to the slightest degree.

The solution? Educate yourself, learn everything you can about how it operates, how it drives and learn how to adapt your expectations to the reality of owning, driving and repairing a very complex house/truck hybrid. This mode of travel is not for the uninformed or the timid.

Flame away those who do not agree...........
I gotta say, this is a GREAT answer! No pussyfooting here, that's for sure. We get used to trying not to step on people's toes while trying to give an accurate answer.
OP,
While we'd all like perfectly operating rigs, 24/7, it just ain't gonna happen Pal. Some will be more troublesome than others. It's pretty much the luck of the draw. We have what we consider to be a very nice coach. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD either C-7 330 HP CAT.
We paid what we consider a lot of money for it right at 6years ago. IT had its share of rattles to and, it's a diesel pusher which is SUPPOSED to ride smooth and not have rattles, yeah sure.
Being pushed around by big trucks is an issue many RVers deal with on many coaches. There's a few tif bits that may or may not help. For one, even though we pilot a heavier diesel coach, when a big rig is coming at me, if I have the space and it's safe, I simply move to my right 6" to a foot or so.
That additional space sure cuts down on the air-blast effects on us. On rattles, all you can do is try and investigate to see where each one emminates from. Then, if possible, try and devise a remedy for each and every one. I have a friend who's done just that. As they traveled, they narrowed down all their rattles and, one by one, eliminated each and every one.

As far as the A/C is concerned, the. very first thing to do is, make darn sure each and every component of that system, including all doors (a/c housing doors that is) , condenser, dryer, fan(S), etc. are all functioning as designed.

An A/C unit in a gas coach CAN cool the cab area quite well but, that's ALL it's going to cool. We actually hung a sheet up to separate the cab area in one of our other coaches and that worked great.

If your coach is wandering, following road rain grooves or acting badly, we'll again, you'll have to make sure each and every component of that front end is in perfect shape and, if there's adjustments involved, make sure all adjustments are proper.

One final piece of advice, get that coach weighed, front, rear and total,. Do not worry about the 4 corner thing right now. Once you've got the weights, go to your tires tire chart and be guided by them as to what pressures to run your tires at. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:48 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You've got a leak in your air conditioner. Shouldn't have to add freon that often.

As far as the rough ride...If your tires are overinflated for the weight that's on them that will cause a rough ride and poor handling.

Weigh your RV and set the tire pressure to what your tire manufacturer recommends.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #22

Samll World

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredeere View Post
You actually know where I live other than just the town? That's kinda scary considering we are starting to travel a bit. I thought people could only see the town. Yikes.

Karen......I don't intend to alarm you. You are quite safe. I used the term "just down the street" as a figure of speech. As our world gets smaller and smaller, "just down the street" merely meant "the next town over". We live in Iowa too.
Lindan n Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:04 PM   #23

Hello tiredeere, Thought I would jump in on this. We have camped for 38 years now, starting from tent to trailer and now 2 class A's. Our first class A was a 1986 Winn. Chieftain, 32ft no slides. We used it for business and pleasure. My first trip driving it was up from the valley to Sonora, CA. in a 25 mile crosswind, 2 lane road. I fought it all the way. It had no steering stabilizers what so ever and we thought that was just how it drove. It did have the airbags for the ride and leveling though. In 2014 we bought a 2002 32v, 2 slides.What a difference. It has a steering stabilizer bar in the front which seems to make all the difference in being pushed all over the road by the wind, semi's and other RV's.
As for the A/C, we try to leave early so the front air with the 2 fans in the middle of the windshield keep it cool, if it gets to uncomfortable for us and the dog and cat we use the generator and cool the whole RV.
We have had more than our share of problems with most of them coming from the 1986 and being out on the road sometimes 3 out of 4 weekends a month plus vacations.
We don't travel as much as we use to and have not had any problems with the new to us 2002. Just had front brakes done and two new Michelins on the front. Rv was well maintained with records before we bought it.
I don't know if you got your owners manual with yours, but I read ours from cover to cover, plus all the individual instructions for each appliance and system and than found this forum.
Hopefully you will get all the kinks worked out and enjoy your RV.
P.S. I do all the driving

Tags
air, brave, dash, dash air, winnebago