Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 11:41 PM   #1

2002 Slide remodel nightmare!

2002 Journey DL. Have remodeled most of RV into my sleek condo on wheels. Decided on a whim to take out dinette booth. Easy Peasy. Then took carpet off the top to add wood to match main flooring. My problem started because I cut the carpet to the floor instead of leaving it on the facia portion of the slide. (About 2”). Can’t move slide in out because of the carpet catching underneath. Also it ripping up my existing wood floors. Does the carpet serve a purpose under the slide. Can I remove it? If so how? I’m leaving 2 weeks from today. Gotta get this finished. Remove subfloor and get down to the open frame? Suggestions, help.
Attached Images

dianna119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2019, 05:27 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I would get that carpet out from under the slide then check clearances. Depending on how far back it wraps you could use an oscillating cutter with a scraper blade to cut it loose. It does not look like a flush slide so there may be some plastic runners the slide comes in and out on and perhaps some of that carpet wrapped under one affecting the clearance. I have never seen carpet wrapped under the slide It does not belong there. Did you install the wood flooring? If so did you make sure the thickness after install matched the original flooring ?
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:10 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carpet on slide

I replaced the carpet on our old Winne a few years ago. NOT a fun job, but do-able. And yes, the carpet is supposed to be under this particular setup.

What spdracr39 said, the new wood on the main floor has to match original thickness. When the guy put new wood floor in our old Monaco, seems he had to adjust the height somehow to compensate for slightly thicker flooring, but I don't know how he did that.

With slide out, look under from outside, you can see where that outside end is attached. Seems there was a strip of (metal?) with screws thru it, and plenty adhesive so it is stuck pretty good.The carpet has to go all the way back to the outside on the underside, else it will catch when you run the slide out, thus the carpet wrapped all the way around. Get that old stuff off than proceed. That oscillating cutter should help, and several (expletive deleted) comments to encourage the team.
With the slide IN, you can tilt the top back out, allowing you to get at the bottom of the slide, and it seems we used some 2x4 scraps under it to give a bit more clearance, otherwise there is almost no space to work in.

Start from the Outside bottom with the slide out when installing the new stuff. Slide the carpet under from inside, than fasten it securely on that outside end. You will need a second set of hands here. I found some REAlly sticky tape to help hold the new carpet, Capitol Grip double face adhesive tape, great stuff; and be sure to get all those fasteners back in, you don't want that stuff coming loose under there. A rubber mallet and a wood block worked great to help set that carpet into the adhesive and make the bend as you fold it around. I used my air powered crown stapler too.

When we got done, it was great! The professional carpet installer said what he mostly learned was, this was his first, and LAST, recarpeting job in an RV!!
If you are not going to put carpet back on, no idea how to fix that. Perhaps install the carpet up to the top of the facia, and find some sort of strip to help hold it in place. Maybe the adhesive and LOTS of staples will do it, not sure. If that facia is metal maybe a strip of metal with screws will work?
Good luck
Old 10-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianna119 View Post
2002 Journey DL. Have remodeled most of RV into my sleek condo on wheels. Decided on a whim to take out dinette booth. Easy Peasy. Then took carpet off the top to add wood to match main flooring. My problem started because I cut the carpet to the floor instead of leaving it on the facia portion of the slide. (About 2”). Can’t move slide in out because of the carpet catching underneath. Also it ripping up my existing wood floors. Does the carpet serve a purpose under the slide. Can I remove it? If so how? I’m leaving 2 weeks from today. Gotta get this finished. Remove subfloor and get down to the open frame? Suggestions, help.
There is an individual named Ernie that installs rv wood floors as a profession, dont remember his full name but some searching should located some posts here from him and sending him a PM should get you the best answers to your issue. He is also supposed to have a facebook page as well. Good luck as when i go to replace our carpet with bamboo i also plan on doing the slide but luckly i am only a couple hours from Winnebago and will have them install the slide guides that are for solid surface floors.
neub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remodel, slide