Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2003 Journey - Right front jack won't retract

Hi Everyone- Last camping trip out I had to extend the jacks quite a bit to get it level. Should have used blocks I know but didn't realize it until afterwards.

Anyway when I went to leave all jacks came up except the front passenger side jack. We got it up using the pry board and block method :-)

I tested it again today by installing new tires.. just kidding. I did get new tires today (ouch!) and they lifted the coach up by using large wood blocks and the coaches leveling jacks.

Same issue with the same jack. It would not retract.

What could cause just one to fail? Is it likely a weak spring? It does stay up when pushed back into the stored position.

Thanks for any help!

Ben
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #2

Most of us have Jacks, but not knowing the brand, elect, or hydraulic it is hard to give advice.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Extend that jack, open the solenoid for that jack to relieve the hydraulic pressure and see if the springs will retract it. New Springs might help. If it does not come up, you may have a bad jack. I had similar problems with my left rear jack, had to pry it up to get it to retract. I did replace the springs but the problem persisted. We stopped by the HWH facility without an appointment. They checked it out, had problems with the jack piston and they replaced the jack. Been working as advertised since.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:30 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry forgo to mention it is the standard HWH hydraulic jacks found on most Winnebagos of that era.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:33 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
carry a square bladed shovel and use it to get under the jack and pry it up. I had the same problem and finally had to have the jack rebuilt. Any local hydraulic shop can to it.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I'll echo the other responses. I had this problem with 1, 2, 3 and sometimes all 4 jacks. It seems that the hydraulic seals harden over time causing the problem of not retracting. I replaced all springs to no avail. I finally replaced all jacks. Now I can retract all jacks in less than a couple of minutes even in the coldest weather. I tried to have my old ones rebuilt but the shop I tried couldn't (or didn't want to) repair.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:40 AM   #7

I also had the same problem and no hydraulic shop would touch them. Said the repair would be more money than the replacement. So I extended the jacks and scrubbed the shaft with WD40 - Dry Lube (PTFE). Now I wipe them down whenever it's convenient. They work just fine again. The left rear is always the lazy one, but only by about 30 seconds
Stan
Old 08-16-2018, 06:56 PM   #8

I would try to lubricate the shaft -- as mentioned above (HWH recommends WD40) and then wipe it down with a clean cloth. If mine get lazy at times, I lubricate them like this and they seem to retract quickly then.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #9
Commercial Member

we all know what the final answer will be, we just dont want to spend the money. ive done it myself. i see the shovel, or the 2 x 4 and block at every rally i attend.
and, yes i carry one in case of the need.
cleaning the shaft with wd40 may help. unless you have the old style springs, or your springs are extremely rusty, replacing springs dont normally help.

the problem is that if the cylinder doesnt retract fully, it can burn out the solenoid for that jack. sometimes even the one next to it, since they ground thru each other. (parallel grounding)
either have the cylinder repaired or replaced. hwh does not sell the seals. they will repair the cylinders at a reasonable price. they will only quote a price for a reman cylinder because they dont know whats wrong with yours.
send an email to service@hwh.com , ask for a rga number, include name, address, phone number, vin, make and model of your coach. this is for the warranty on the repaired part. it take about three weeks to get it back.
paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If coming up part way...

Clean per HWH instructions. Sounds like you never have. The jacks are not powered up - the springs simply pull up the jack when pressure is released by the solenoid opening.

This is what HWH has to say about maintaining their jacks using WD40. http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml47149.pdf
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had your jack issues.. As mentioned, open the solenoids manually and the springs will more than likely pull all the jacks up, the common problem is the solenoids not opening..

Rather than pry your jacks up utilize your air bags.. so air up, block jack, dump air, jack will be pushed up, repeat until jack is fully retracted...

Tech with HWH shared all of this info with me when I was stuck and could not get a couple of jacks to retract.

Take a trip to Moscow, Iowa and have your jacks repaired and or serviced, your slide hydraulic system is also HWH, they will service your systems, good company to do business with.
Petesflhtk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey