Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #1

2003 Winnebago Journey DL 34HD HW Bypass

I am in the process of replacing the possibly original Attwood hot water heater with an Atwood GC10A-4E gas & electric 10 gallon water. The water heater was old, rusty and would not stay lit despite cleaning the flame sensor. We have looped the engine coolant back to the engine since I did not want to spend the extra money on an unneeded feature.

The fresh water holding tank is nearly full so I expected that when we cut the water lines on the old heater, there would be a continuous stream of water. It released maybe a quart of water from the hot and cold lines. The old water heater was full of stinky water. Since we had disenfected and flushed the hot and cold water lines but had not managed to purge the ransid water from the water heater, I am now in search of the bypass valves.

The Winnebago Owners Manual indicates the water heater bypass is mounted in the wet bay. I am not finding it. It is possible my MH is actually the 34H rather than the 34HD.

Can anyone point out where the bypass control valves are?
MartinGale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your description certainly conveys that the HW bypass valve is indeed in the BYPASS position.

For 99% of RV installations, this valve is in the immediate vicinity of the HWH itself. Can the valve be around back? Sorry, but other than that, I got nuttin'
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #3

Where is the HW bypass?

Thanks for the reply Robi.1014.

On my rig, there is not enough room behind the water heater for a bypass kit. I know because I bought one anticipating changing out whatever was there.

I have started opening up all the places where bypass valves could hide. I think I will take photos so other owners of my model will be able to see what lurks behind all those panels.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #4

On my 2001 Journey the bypass switch was electrically operated. The switches for winterizing and hot water bypass were in the cabinet between the kitchen and bedroom. The actual valves were in the water bay.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #5

Found the Bypass - Pilot Error

The valve is on the water control panel. The bypass label was missing. Due to the valve location being right above the outdoor shower faucet, I assumed it was for the shower source.

I do not understand why the previous owner put the water heater on bypass while it was filled with stagnant, smelly water. Thanks to those of you who helped. I was about to get a can opener to aid my search.

Now if I can get the wiring right on the new water heater, I should be able to wash dishes and shower with hot water.

Tags
journey, winnebago