Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #1

2004 Adventurer 40,000 miles maintanance

I am looking for advice on recommended maintenance on my RV.

This is a quote I received...
Transmission flush $940
Brake fluid flush $300
Differential flush 400
Cooling flush $360
Tune Up plugs,wire fuel and air filter change $1150

My question is all this necessary at this time or can some be out off?

David
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I would hope the tune up is $1150 not$11,500.
From my perspective if it is done now you have a base starting point for all future maintenance.
However
Brake flush likely highly important.
Cooling flush yes.
Tune up if you are not happy with the way it runs.

Good luck Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is an absolute total ripoff.

I'm assuming an 8.1 engine and an Allison 1000 transmission?

Allison says never flush the transmission. It has a drain plug and spin on oil filter. I do mine myself.

Differential flush??? Drain and refill. Way over priced.

1,150 for plugs and wires!!!!! No way!

Where are you located? You need to go somewhere else for sure.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #4

Thanks for the input, I am in Conroe (Houston texas).
Old 10-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I have heard this referred to as a wallet flush.

Dirty/worn out fluid is never good, and I second the importance of establishing a mx baseline.

That being said, what are the manufacturers recommended service intervals? Have they been followed?

Are you willing/capable and have a place to do your own work?

If you pop the radiator cap and the fluid has good color and you don't see slime, scale or rust I'd consider just a drain and refill. You can buy a lot of coolant for $350.
Same for rear axle if mx schedule calls for it. Buy a suction gun and new fluid pretty cheap.

Flushing brakes is a good idea. Usually done when I replace pads. Not hard with a helper or a suction tool. But depending on age, salt, corrosion ppening the bleeder might be problematic. A few shots over several days with penetrating oil prior to the work would probably be wise. Once they are loose I'd remove and coat threads with anti seize.

I probably have over serviced most of my auto tranny vehicles, but first time I drop the pan I put a drain plug in. Makes the next service so much easier. Knock on wood I never had a tranny issue with my old class c with over 100k or my old 1980 Caddy with 350k. My 2007 Caddy doesn't even have a radiator drain plug. Go figure- GM cost savings I guess.

Even if you decide to let someone else do it all, it might be wise to get a second quote from a good independent shop.
I know I am getting older and remembering times past, but the numbers seem high to me.

Good luck
JPO1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #6

self maintenance

I have a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 33V with 54,000 miles.
At about 40,000 miles I had a bad miss, and I changed the spark plugs myself. This cleared the miss, and is easily doable when you remove the dog house in a couple of hours. Only thing is you will be laying down over the engine to reach the plugs. I think I spent $30 to do it.
Once In there I noticed a small leak on the upper radiator hose, and ordered from ultra RV. Took about 15 minutes to change.
Also, from Ultra RV, the engine belt was shredded, and wrapped around the fan. This arrived quickly from Ultra RV, and the longest time was spent getting it off the water pump. Once off, it took about an hour to put the new one on.
As far as differential fluid, have you had the brake recall done? If yes, it may have been done then. Checking the fluid level in the differential is simple with a 1/2" ratchet wrench, and remove the fill plug and look in. If you pull plug, and the oil does not stink (smell burnt) you should be ok, as long as the level is correct. The air filter change takes about 15 minutes, located under the passenger front cab ahead of the tire. 4 simple clips, and remove and replace.
fltharleyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, vent