Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-17-2017, 10:19 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Forkyfork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 544
2004 Adventurer basement heat question.

I have a 2004 Adventurer 38R. No manuals, Ive been gathering things off Winnebagos site and other places.

In the sales brochure it mentions basement or tank heat. I found an electronic copy of the owners manual and didn't come across anything about this feature or what type of heat it is.

I understand there are tank heaters and some basements are heated only by running the heat system. Im trying to determine if we are in-between trips and its 32* do we have to run the gas heat or drain the water lines and put in antifreeze. How can we keep it protected in the 4 days we have to work before we can take off again. We could run a space heater but how would we keep the below floor plumbing from freezing.

I was also told when I had my '77 class c that I didn't need to worry about freeze damage until 20*. Worked for me then but the system was simpler.

Ive also noticed there are a few places we can see daylight like under the bathroom sink. Still trying to wrap my head around how that would be kept from freezing.
__________________

__________________
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R
Proud Navy Mom
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2017, 11:00 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 951
Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
the winnebago tech support phone line is an excellent resource. call, give them the last 8 of the VIN and they can answer all your questions.
__________________

__________________
'73, Rich, N9DKO
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
Retired 9-1-1
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Forkyfork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
the winnebago tech support phone line is an excellent resource. call, give them the last 8 of the VIN and they can answer all your questions.
Cool, good to know. I guess I figured they were like all other manufactures, once something gets to a certain age they don't want to support it. Hmmm, better get my list out. I have another mystery or two I haven't been able to figure out. haha

When I was looking at a coachman of the same year and could find nothing on their website. I was impressed that winnebago had all the support info on theirs. I have used a lot of paper printing out diagrams.
__________________
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R
Proud Navy Mom
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:20 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,180
Forkyfork,
Your basement heat, is also basement A/C. It's basically a residential air conditioner. The ducting for it, is ran up inside the back cap, split at a wye about 3/4 the way up and, then is ran in two runs along the ceiling, one on each side. When using the basement heat or, the basement A/C, all your air, heated or cooled, will come from the ceiling. That residential type basement A/C - heat, is 120VAC controlled and powered.

You also have a floor furnace. It is 12VDC powered and, it is its job to handle heating your basement compartments and, tank heaters. If Bill, aka "Duner" sees this thread, I'm sure he will chime in 'cause he's got an Adventurer and knows all the details of how those systems work. He's done some pretty extensive work on his so, he's the top dog for info. Anyway, hope this info helps some. Good luck.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 616
Our 2003 Adventurer does not have any type of tank heaters. Only heat from the propane furnace or when driving from the motoraid heat.
__________________
Hank & Lynda
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
70ChevelleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Forkyfork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Forkyfork,
Your basement heat, is also basement A/C. It's basically a residential air conditioner. The ducting for it, is ran up inside the back cap, split at a wye about 3/4 the way up and, then is ran in two runs along the ceiling, one on each side. When using the basement heat or, the basement A/C, all your air, heated or cooled, will come from the ceiling. That residential type basement A/C - heat, is 120VAC controlled and powered.

You also have a floor furnace. It is 12VDC powered and, it is its job to handle heating your basement compartments and, tank heaters. If Bill, aka "Duner" sees this thread, I'm sure he will chime in 'cause he's got an Adventurer and knows all the details of how those systems work. He's done some pretty extensive work on his so, he's the top dog for info. Anyway, hope this info helps some. Good luck.
Scott
Your right its probably the way the furnace is ducted that heats it. I forgot that the basement heat pump doesn't run when its cold enough to freeze outside.

So now I just need to figure out how to keep everything from freezing without having to run the propane heater during the 4 days between camping.
__________________
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R
Proud Navy Mom
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:16 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
Your right its probably the way the furnace is ducted that heats it. I forgot that the basement heat pump doesn't run when its cold enough to freeze outside.

So now I just need to figure out how to keep everything from freezing without having to run the propane heater during the 4 days between camping.
In that kind of situation, depending on your outlook and what's important to you, some folks have used a 100 watt or so light bulb (maybe even higher than that) constantly on in various areas to keep things just warm enough to prevent freezing. Never done it so, can't really verify this.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:15 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
DAN L's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
I have a 2004 Adventurer 38R. No manuals, Ive been gathering things off Winnebagos site and other places.

In the sales brochure it mentions basement or tank heat. I found an electronic copy of the owners manual and didn't come across anything about this feature or what type of heat it is.

I understand there are tank heaters and some basements are heated only by running the heat system. Im trying to determine if we are in-between trips and its 32* do we have to run the gas heat or drain the water lines and put in antifreeze. How can we keep it protected in the 4 days we have to work before we can take off again. We could run a space heater but how would we keep the below floor plumbing from freezing.

I was also told when I had my '77 class c that I didn't need to worry about freeze damage until 20*. Worked for me then but the system was simpler.

Ive also noticed there are a few places we can see daylight like under the bathroom sink. Still trying to wrap my head around how that would be kept from freezing.
I use remote temp sensors and trouble lights in my wet and tank compartments.
__________________
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:19 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,178
That's sad that the previous owner didn't leave the black bag with all the manuals, build sheets, warranty cards, etc that came with the coach in it. Its a file folder bag with compartments for each type of paperwork covering everything installed by the factory inside the coach.

I have traveled all over New England with my 2001 in late fall and never had a problem with freezing as long as the tanks were not completely empty. Some find when storing the coach that leaving an incandescent lamp running in the sewer bin is sufficient to keep things from freezing when it drops below 32 degrees at night and the heat is not running.
__________________
Neil V
2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U
NeilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:16 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
tmw188's Avatar


 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Charles MO
Posts: 2,321
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
It probably has one run going into the basement tank area via the LP furnace only. Depending how cold and for how long I would be comfortable just running the LP furnace set as low as you can, they heat up fast and don't run long.
__________________
W-24, Toyo tires, Blue OX Aventa LX, Patriot brake assist, 09' Saturn Vue
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,178
You should only see daylight under the sink when the Sewer Bay door is opened since that is where some of the heat coming through the floor vent in the bathroom flows through to the sewer bay to keep it from freezing.
__________________
Neil V
2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U
NeilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Forkyfork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
You should only see daylight under the sink when the Sewer Bay door is opened since that is where some of the heat coming through the floor vent in the bathroom flows through to the sewer bay to keep it from freezing.
Wow that explains the faint light and why it looked like the back of the sewer compartment although the compartment was closed. Iíll have to have a closer look.
__________________
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R
Proud Navy Mom
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Winemaker2's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western NY
Posts: 872
Had a 2003 Adventurer 31Y
For short durations...days... in cold Wx I blew out the lines w compressed air.
About a 10-15 min job.
To be safe I drained WH and FW tank if expected much below 32.
__________________
Don & Marge
'13 Newmar Ventana 3433 - '14 CR-V TOAD
'03 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y - SOLD
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
Wow that explains the faint light and why it looked like the back of the sewer compartment although the compartment was closed. Iíll have to have a closer look.
The bottom of the compartment is somewhat translucent on the newer ones however double check that the light has not been left on inside the compartment. If you forget to close the hose shutter that would let extra light into the compartment too.
__________________

__________________
Neil V
2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U
NeilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adventurer, heat, vent



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 Adventurer 38 Q heat in basement compartments Americanrascal Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 9 08-23-2016 11:36 AM
Hydro Hot basement heat ?? no fan at heater vent in basement wernie1 Travel Supreme Owner's Forum 3 01-02-2016 12:55 AM
Winnebago 2004 Adventurer Basement AC/Heat, Colman Mac Model 6535 and 6536 Heat Pump CarlJudy Class A Motorhome Discussions 3 11-05-2012 06:19 PM
2004 Adventurer/W22 Basement A/C CMcCardell Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 11 09-11-2009 11:34 AM
2004 Adventurer gas heat question. JWatkins Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 15 03-02-2008 03:40 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.