Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
2004 Journey Can’t find a way to get to the Air Filter to Change.

air filter
I have 2004 journey and i cant find a way to get to the breather to change the air filter.Does anyone have a 2004 journey that maybe tell me a easier way to change the air filter? Thanks for any info!
sewerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a good blog posting with pictures for changing the engine air filter on a CAT powered Journey (don't know if it's the same arrangement on a Cummins powered one, but my guess is it would be similar). R Sanity RV Adventures: Replacing The Air Filter

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerdog View Post
air filter
I have 2004 journey and i cant find a way to get to the breather to change the air filter.Does anyone have a 2004 journey that maybe tell me a easier way to change the air filter? Thanks for any info!
sewerdog,
We have a close, sistership to yours. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. But, while the coaches have a zillion similarities, the layout of the air cleaner access and, exhaust systems are considerably different. I'd bet dollars to donuts that your exhaust exits at the rear of the coach, on the drivers side. Whereas, on ours, the exhaust exits the rear, on the passengers side. And that difference makes for access to the air cleaner, much, much easier than it does on yours. At least that's what I think anyways.

There was a thread on here not all that long ago that referenced the access to the air cleaner on your type of coach. If I recall, the gent writing the thread said the shop he had working on his coach, had to remove the exhaust to gain access to the air cleaner. I don't know if yours is the exact same as his or not but, take a look at your exhaust and see if it, in fact, needs to be removed, to remove your air cleaner.
Scott

On edit: Chris beat me to it.
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
air filter

The exhaust does come out on the drivers side. Thanks
Old 01-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
On my 2004 Journey the air filter comes out the bottom. Not real easy, it's a tight fit but wiggling twisting and pulling it does come out. You do have to remove the clamps and hoses.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:46 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Be careful breaking the seal between the rubber elbows and the metal surfaces of the filter on disassembly. Careful use of a flat blade screw driver has worked for me after loosening the clamps. Reassembly tip, use a little Dawn dish soap or similar on the rubber elbows as a lubricant. Makes them slide on the metal filter surfaces much easier.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerdog View Post
air filter
I have 2004 journey and i cant find a way to get to the breather to change the air filter.
From a strict reading of your words above, it sounds like you're wanting to replace the filter element. Unfortunately, the air filter element is most likely not serviceable. The canister containing the filter must be replaced as a unit. The manufacturers do this to avoid the misguided practice of trying to clean and reinstall the filter element. These efforts often result in damage to the filter media and resulting damage to the engine.

Your profile doesn't disclose your location, but if you have a Freightliner chassis - the easiest way to replace the air filter is a quick trip to Gaffney. Fortunately, I'm only about 200 miles from there and recently had the air filter replaced for around $200 total. It's a much easier job when you have access to a lift!

Reservations at Gaffney are tough to get, but I was able to drop in and get the filter changed as "fill in" work right before 5:00.
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:43 PM   #8

Had my '02 Journey filter changed last year at a diesel shop. Bought the 'cartridge', which is the metal case and the paper filter, from Amazon for $118. Paid $60 for the shop to change if from underneath. Took 1/2 hour. Pretty easy for a pro to do it. He used all new clamps.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:17 PM   #9

Location: 2007 jeep wrangler toad. lifted and locked.US Army Vet 1972-1975 2nd Armored Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Had my '02 Journey filter changed last year at a diesel shop. Bought the 'cartridge', which is the metal case and the paper filter, from Amazon for $118. Paid $60 for the shop to change if from underneath. Took 1/2 hour. Pretty easy for a pro to do it. He used all new clamps.
If that's a cat engine in your journey can you give me the part # for Amazon?

Thanks Gary!
G jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by G jeffers View Post
If that's a cat engine in your journey can you give me the part # for Amazon?

Thanks Gary!
It's a Cat 3126e. Wix P/N 46748

Amazon Link

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:43 PM   #11

Location: 2007 jeep wrangler toad. lifted and locked.US Army Vet 1972-1975 2nd Armored Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
It's a Cat 3126e. Wix P/N 46748

Amazon Link
Thanks Jim, should be it, I have the same mh. I will double check though!
G jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:54 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2006 Journey, cat 350 hp, exhaust on the driver's side. Watched a video just to be sure and changed it out in less than an hour, and that was going slow as it was the first time.
Ditto on the dish soap or, in my case, silicon spray.
Good luck

PS Helps to have a gopher to get different size wrench, whatever, so you don't have to keep crawling out from under.
JPO1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here’re some more part numbers for that ECO-SE air filter (from another posting by JaminSamin):
Parker Rancor and FL Far: 114880.003
Wix: 46748
Donaldson: P537454
Baldwin: PA3493
Fleet Guard: AH1197
Luberfiner: LAF1934

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks