Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2018, 07:34 PM   #1

2005 Adventurer suspension upgrade help

Hello All
We bought a 2005 Adventurer on a Workhorse chasis last fall. Love the motorhome but it rides very very rough and has lots of sway. Bought it from original owners with original shocks. Thinking about changing out shocks first, have seen posts about Koni shocks. Do you guys have any suggestions, everything is great about it except the ride. It tracks straight, just very rough. Thanks so much for the help...
Clint
airmoore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmoore1 View Post
Hello All

We bought a 2005 Adventurer on a Workhorse chasis last fall. Love the motorhome but it rides very very rough and has lots of sway. Bought it from original owners with original shocks. Thinking about changing out shocks first, have seen posts about Koni shocks. Do you guys have any suggestions, everything is great about it except the ride. It tracks straight, just very rough. Thanks so much for the help...

Clint

Just curious how many miles are on those shocks?
Old 03-12-2018, 08:07 PM   #3

30000 and 12 years old
Old 03-13-2018, 07:09 AM   #4

New shocks is a good idea. Also what air pressure are you running in your tires? You really need to have front and rear axles weighed to set the pressure properly. If they have more air pressure in them then they need that can lead to a rough, very rough ride.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:25 AM   #5

I put Konis on my 05 Adventurer last spring. Made a big difference going over road cracks, bridge seams, etc. Did the job in my driveway, if you’re handy give it a go. You’ll need a breaker bar to get the bolts loosened....probably.
G3G4G5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I had KONI Shocks and SUMO Springs installed on my Winnie2015 30T. It has made a major difference in handling. At time of purchase, I had the dealer install a steering stabilizer. Waiting for her to return from getting her trip ready and having my garage install Centramatics wheel balancers.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #7

Previous MH was a 2003 Adventurer 31Y - not sure which model you have.

Had similar ride complaints - replaced shocks w/ Bilsteins but read Konis may be a step above.

Re: what i felt as excessive roll...
Workhorse rep at the Hershey show yrs ago suggested examining the rubber? "bumpers"? on the suspension - I thought they were stops but he indicated they should be in contact w/ the springs when loaded for travel. He said if they aren't additional load would improve the ride / roll characterisics.
I normally didn't travel heavily loaded and decided to add about a 3/4" - 1" spacer block to put the bumper in contact w/ my normal travel load.
It seemed to make some improvement - enough that I didn't take the next step which was to add 1/2 after market HD roll bars
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For my 2007 Adventure I did the following. Safe-T-Steer, Anti-Sway bar for rear axel, slightly lower tire pressure . New tires. Have not changed out shocks yet.
Side note: the ride is fine...EXCEPT in really bad roads...lots of shaking! No way around this with gasser Class A. Sway bar nice, BUT you still cannot take turns hard or do a dipping turn quickly! Go slow and your OK. Passing semi trucks do not rock the RV! Nice!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #9

My tires are new with recommended pressures. The motorhome is a 2005 35a. What is the advantage of the Sumo Springs?
Clint

Tags
adventurer, suspension, upgrade, vent