Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2010, 06:12 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2005 Vectra/Horizon Questions

We have been looking for a Meridian 36G (2006-2008), but have not had luck finding a good deal where we can also trade in our C. We had the opportunity to look at a local 2005 40 foot Vectra and really liked the upgraded feel to the interior as well as what appears to be better storage because of the different chassis? The 40 foot is too big for us, but there is a reasonable deal on a 36 foot about a 2.5 day drive away.

Questions/concerns regarding a 2005 Vectra 36RD:

I read something about possible overloading on the steering axle, but that the tires went to LR H in 2006 and that solved the problem. We will be towing an enclosed trailer (close to 10k pounds) with a weight distribution hitch. Anyone have firsthand experience with the weights on this model/year?

Is the coach fully functional with all of the slides in? We overnight a lot at Flying J, and I could probably extend a bedroom slides, but not much else. Additionally, any issues with leaving the passenger living room slide in all of the time? We don't think we are going to like eating into the awning space outside. We have a one living room slide coach now, so I am guessing we will end up with the same amount of space.

Will the Evolution chassis be an upgrade over the chassis on the Meridian? Any other major differences between the two coaches?

If you own a Vectra, are you happy with it? Anything I should watch out for or ask about? I have read about slide leaks and that is definitely my biggest concern. Were they common on this model?

Sorry for so many questions. This coach is just so far away and it's on consignment, so I cannot speak with the owner. Thanks for your help!!
FLgatorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2010, 07:22 AM   #2

36RD

We have a 2005 36RD and love it we went from a 42 foot Dutch Star. We overnight alot while traveling and with 1 bedrom slide out there is plenty of room. The storage is great. The one thing we did last year was upgrade the tires to 275/70r22.5 xza2 and that improved the ride tremendosly. any question give me a call Karl 407-340-5975. We drove 2 days to look at ours and buy it.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #3

FLgatorgirl I thought you had already made up your mind? Believe me, you will not have issues with this coach. We've put 10's of thousands miles on ours pulling a 10K race trailer with all the goodies with no problems. We, like you, from time to time have to stop at Flying J's and other places for the night and although it's not the rommiest thing with the slides in, it is passible. Besides, putting the slide out for the night it no big thing, we do it all the time.
Go get and enjoy
Old 08-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Mikeso--
I had made up my mind on a Meridian, but have been unable to find a workable deal with our trade in. I found what I thought was a great deal and the dealer jerked us around when it came down to the final numbers. We just lost out today on a Vectra, so I am still looking. We have our class C Granite Ridge up for sale locally and on Ebay and had a possible buyer look at it today. If we could sell ours instead of trying to trade in, it would make things MUCH easier. There are two Meridians as well as another Vectra in our price range with private sellers. The whole thing is just getting really frustrating!
FLgatorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #5

2005 Vectra

I have a 2005 Vectra 40FD. It is wonderful. I have 40K miles with cummings ISL 400 engine. Have pulled 10K boats without knowing they were there. I have heard the CAT engines on the shorter coaches are underpowered for heavy towing. I strongly recommend my coach. We have dry camped for 3 weeks without dumping. The down TV system is great and huge storage compartments. I keep 2 small motorcycles, 2 fold up bikes and a blow-up boat in 2 compartmemnts on the left. The big ones are on the right. We often carry a 1/8 chord of wood also in the right bay. All the camping chairs in the right bay. This leave the large slideout bay open for everything else. The 400 engine is the best as it has a two stage jake-brake for grades--very important for heavy towing and better than an exhaust brake. Our only problem is on the combo door latch as it resets when the batterys die and its tough to recode.
RocketmanRV is offline   Reply With Quote