Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2005, 09:47 AM   #1

Help---
The RV Consumer Group, in its CD rating info, has given a 1-star, poor rating for handling capability (ratio of wheel base to length of coach) and payload to capacity ratio for this unit. They state that the coach tends to "...wander and cause driver fatigue..." when confronting windy conditions, passing trucks, and other than level road conditions.
Your input (comments concurrence, rebuttals) positive or negative would be extremely appreciated!!
Larry the "Redrocker2"

35' Voyage-2005
RedRocker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2005, 09:47 AM   #2

Help---
The RV Consumer Group, in its CD rating info, has given a 1-star, poor rating for handling capability (ratio of wheel base to length of coach) and payload to capacity ratio for this unit. They state that the coach tends to "...wander and cause driver fatigue..." when confronting windy conditions, passing trucks, and other than level road conditions.
Your input (comments concurrence, rebuttals) positive or negative would be extremely appreciated!!
Larry the "Redrocker2"

35' Voyage-2005
Old 02-14-2005, 11:50 AM   #3

Larry (from another Larry),

As you can see from my sig, I own a 2005 Voyage 35D. I have only had the opportunity to make one trip in it so far but did not find the handling to "wander and cause driver fatigue". (Although I must admit that taking the North loop around Atlanta at 5PM in the rain did cause some driver fatigue - and tension. ) This must be qualified based on my own RV experience. I traded a 32 ft. Minnie Winnie for this Class A and found that the MW would more accurately fit the RV consumer group info with regard to handling.

If this floorplan and model are really appealing to you, visit a dealer and take it for a test drive. Be sure to drive it on highway/interstate conditions where you will meet, pass, and be passed by trucks. See how it feels to you. Wind gusts (of the natural kind) will likely be a whole new ball game. RVs are probably the least aerodynamic vehicles any of us will ever drive.

If you do a forum search, you can also find a number of posts regarding after market suspension additions which claim to improve handling for many motorhomes. I cannot comment on these as I am still driving my MH absolutely factory stock. Would I add something for handling? I would not rule it out, but cannot presently justify it.

Best of luck in you pursuit of a new MH no matter what direction you ultimately take.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:51 AM   #4

Larry (from the other Larry),
Thanks for the prompt reply to my note! Was very pleased that you didn't find the handling a difficulty. The floorplan and model are very appealing and we will be visiting a dealer soon for an extensive test drive. Again, your input was much appreciated and we'll let you know how we made out!
Larry

35' Voyage-2005
Old 03-11-2005, 07:36 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Late post, for what its worth, I have the 05 Voyage 35D. Just got back from our first trip. So Cal to Parker Az across Az in the mountains to Silver City, NM. An back to So Cal. Mountain driving, rain, sleet, camping in the snow. Driving in traffic, passing trucks and windy highways. Had no problem with handling or driver fatigue. Fun to drive and ride in.

Happy trails.....
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote