Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2006 Journey 36SE

I'm seriously considering buying one w/ 12.5k miles. Looks really good. Any feedback from curent or past owners?
rdabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have the same unit exactly and have a friend who also has the same unit. Neither of us have had any major issues or concerns. If you have the original tires, check the sidewalls for any checking (cracks) and if not original look for the 4 digit date code on the tire to determine their age. A new set of 255x80Rx22.5's can run anywhere from $2500-$3500 depending on brand and mounting & balancing. At 12.5K the unit hasn't been run very much and I'd advise spending some quality time looking at the engine's front & rear main seals, oil pan gasket & trans seals. At 6 years old it's nearly overdue (regardless of miles) for a trans fluid change, engine coolant flush & refill, possible serpentine belt replacement (due to age) and gen set service if not already done. Throw in an oil change for good measure if you don't know when the last one took place and don't forget the fuel filter INCLUDING the ever elusive 104 micron fuel strainer located on the inside of the passenger side frame rail just above the RR air bag. The Cummins 5.9L is a great engine that delivers good fuel economy. On a recent trip out east we averaged 9.4 through the mountains towing 2700 pounds behind. If possible see if you can get the previous owners maintanence records. It's not likely that the batteries are original but if they are expect to replace all 5.
Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I would echo the same comments as the poster above as everything he said is right on the money. I have the Meridian in the same model and engine. Bought new and have had very few problems, mostly little items when it was new. I would check around the windshield if this unit has been sitting outside for rust. Good luck.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We have the 2007 Meridian which I believe is essentially the same. I agree with the previous posters on things to look for. We bought our coach used so I took it to the Freightliner Service Center in Gaffney and had them go over everything and perform the M3. Attended Camp Freightliner while I was there (highly recommended). In 3 years and 18,000 miles, we have had no major issues with the coach and have enjoyed it tremendously.
David49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the info and advice. I'm going to look for the nearest Freightliner Service Center and Camp Freightliner. What's "the M3"?
rdabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

M3 is a level of service that can be performed where the servicing dealer basically goes through the entire chassis/power train top to bottom, front to back and left to right. Everything is done from an oil change to topping off the tire pressures and everything in between. It is a relatively expensive service, but no stone will be left unturned. Once your unit goes through that level of care, sit back and enjoy the peace of mind it will bring.

Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Until a year or so ago, Freightliner used the M1, 2, 3 designations for the services with M3 being the most comprehensive. They've changed their service schedule designations so I'm not sure what the equivalent would be now.
David49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey