RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2019, 06:47 PM   #1

Location: Land of high fuel prices and poor roads; Kalifornia
2007 Journey-Headlight Replacement?

The headlights on my 2007 Journey 34H are getting kinda foggy so I thought I would replace them. I bought new ones. But I have no idea how to get the old lights out. I can see the light adjustment rods, and I can see 2 screws on the top of the bulb housing that you can access from the front of the vehicle. Access to the back/underside/topside of the housing is very limited.

Does anyone know how to remove the headlight housing?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 06:20 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
This was covered in some posts a while back. Check the archives. There are several screws that you can access from the front and pull the entire light fixture out. On ours, the screws to one headlight are readily accessible, I’ll have to either trim some fiberglass or do some real finessing to get at one of the screws on the other.

Post a followup after you replace the headlight units.

US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #3

Search for journey headlight upgrade by Greenhorn1
Old 10-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
If you figure out away to remove the headlight assembly without removing the front cap or cutting pieces out, let me know!

Easiest option is to polish them. Thatís what I did. Iíd like to put HIDís in, but, that requires retiring them so the low beam doesnít go out when high beam is selected. Relay kits are available, I most havenít gotten around to ordering everything you need to do the job, and then doing it.

Oh, why the HID and not the LED? Canít get LEDís in because the back of the headlight housing is to close to the beam the housing mount is mounted to. Also, Iím not a contortionist anymore!
Old 10-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #5

Location: Land of high fuel prices and poor roads; Kalifornia
O.K., I am the OP. I did do a search, but didn't find the post from Greenhorn1. Thank you so much for providing the information about that link. Journey headlight upgrade

By the way, I purchased both of these headlights, new, including bulbs, including shipping, for less than $100 on eBay.

Unfortunately, the Greenhorn1 link seems to have instructions for replacing 2 completely different types of headlights; round ones Vs. the Pontiac ones. The instructions from Greenhorn1 apply to my 2007 Journey (Pontiac lights). I think the other set of instructions regarding round headlights apply to older years.

Here is what I have learned, so far. I have removed the old headlights, but am waiting for new LED lamps to arrive to install the new headlights.

Don't even try to remove your old headlights until you have the new ones in your hand. The headlight is attached to a bracket. Once you see the new ones on your work bench, with the instructions from Greenhorn1, it will make more sense.

Following the pictures from Greenhorn1, Post #10, it was pretty easy to remove the 2 10mm bolts that hold the bracket (not the actual light) to the RV. Could not reach the far bolt on each light from the center front of the RV, and had to remove it from underneath the RV and reaching up. When you are looking at your new headlights, notice that there are 2 locating pins on the bottom of the brackets. After you have removed all of the bolts, get under the RV and lift up on the headlight bracket to disengage these pins from the RV frame.

The brackets were now loose, but still wouldn't come out the front of the RV. See Greenhorn1 Post #25. Like this post, on my RV, there are headlight adjusting rods that must also be removed from the bracket before you can remove the whole assembly from the front of the RV. Removing these adjusting rods require the removal of one more 10mm bolt from the top of the bracket, and one (torx) screw from the top of the bracket, from each headlight. Then... the headlight and bracket come out the front of the RV. There is plenty of wire length to easily remove them.

I won't say how long it took to get the first headlight out, but the second one only took about 10 minutes.

I am more than a little concerned about getting those adjustment rods re-assembled and working when I put the new headlights in.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:30 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you. Looks like a project for next summer after this yearís Quartzsite experience trip. Ainít been, heard about, so here I go!

Tags
ace, headlight, journey, light, replace, replacement