Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2019, 06:47 PM   #1

Location: Land of high fuel prices and lousy roads; Kalifornia
2007 Journey-Headlight Replacement?

The headlights on my 2007 Journey 34H are getting kinda foggy so I thought I would replace them. I bought new ones. But I have no idea how to get the old lights out. I can see the light adjustment rods, and I can see 2 screws on the top of the bulb housing that you can access from the front of the vehicle. Access to the back/underside/topside of the housing is very limited.

Does anyone know how to remove the headlight housing?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 06:20 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
This was covered in some posts a while back. Check the archives. There are several screws that you can access from the front and pull the entire light fixture out. On ours, the screws to one headlight are readily accessible, I’ll have to either trim some fiberglass or do some real finessing to get at one of the screws on the other.

Post a followup after you replace the headlight units.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #3

Search for journey headlight upgrade by Greenhorn1
Old 10-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
If you figure out away to remove the headlight assembly without removing the front cap or cutting pieces out, let me know!

Easiest option is to polish them. That’s what I did. I’d like to put HID’s in, but, that requires retiring them so the low beam doesn’t go out when high beam is selected. Relay kits are available, I most haven’t gotten around to ordering everything you need to do the job, and then doing it.

Oh, why the HID and not the LED? Can’t get LED’s in because the back of the headlight housing is to close to the beam the housing mount is mounted to. Also, I’m not a contortionist anymore!
Old 10-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #5

O.K., I am the OP. I did do a search, but didn't find the post from Greenhorn1. Thank you so much for providing the information about that link. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/jour...de-428884.html

By the way, I purchased both of these headlights, new, including bulbs, including shipping, for less than $100 on eBay.

Unfortunately, the Greenhorn1 link seems to have instructions for replacing 2 completely different types of headlights; round ones Vs. the Pontiac ones. The instructions from Greenhorn1 apply to my 2007 Journey (Pontiac lights). I think the other set of instructions regarding round headlights apply to older years.

Here is what I have learned, so far. I have removed the old headlights, but am waiting for new LED lamps to arrive to install the new headlights.

Don't even try to remove your old headlights until you have the new ones in your hand. The headlight is attached to a bracket. Once you see the new ones on your work bench, with the instructions from Greenhorn1, it will make more sense.

Following the pictures from Greenhorn1, Post #10, it was pretty easy to remove the 2 10mm bolts that hold the bracket (not the actual light) to the RV. Could not reach the far bolt on each light from the center front of the RV, and had to remove it from underneath the RV and reaching up. When you are looking at your new headlights, notice that there are 2 locating pins on the bottom of the brackets. After you have removed all of the bolts, get under the RV and lift up on the headlight bracket to disengage these pins from the RV frame.

The brackets were now loose, but still wouldn't come out the front of the RV. See Greenhorn1 Post #25. Like this post, on my RV, there are headlight adjusting rods that must also be removed from the bracket before you can remove the whole assembly from the front of the RV. Removing these adjusting rods require the removal of one more 10mm bolt from the top of the bracket, and one (torx) screw from the top of the bracket, from each headlight. Then... the headlight and bracket come out the front of the RV. There is plenty of wire length to easily remove them.

I won't say how long it took to get the first headlight out, but the second one only took about 10 minutes.

I am more than a little concerned about getting those adjustment rods re-assembled and working when I put the new headlights in.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:30 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you. Looks like a project for next summer after this year’s Quartzsite experience trip. Ain’t been, heard about, so here I go!
Old 12-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
dmevis,

I am curious as to how the final outcome of your headlight install went?
Did the adjustment rods go in smoothly?
Old 12-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #8

Here is the not-yet-complete saga of replacing my headlights...

I decided to replace my headlights because the existing ones were kinda foggy and the new replacements were cheap. In hindsight, I would not replace them, I would just use one of the many polishing methods to improve the existing ones.

As background, I am a pretty mechanically inclined person. I do all of the maintenance and many modofications on my vehicles, myself.

Without the information I found on iRV2, I don't think I could have even removed the existing lights. However, with the information I found, removing the old lights was not difficult. The hardest part in removing the old lights was disconnecting the light adjustment rods so that the light would actually come out. Still, not that difficult.

As for installing the new lights; that is a different story. Just installing the new lights is not that difficult. However, installing the new lights with the light adjustment rods is a real nightmare. I spent hours and hours getting the drivers side light adjustment rods in place. It is sort of like a Chinese puzzle, you have to do it in a particular sequence to make it work. I installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled numerous times before I was successful. As for the passenger side light, I decided not to even try installing the adjustment rods. My reasoning is that, 1) you don't need to adjust your lights very often (if ever), and 2) it is easier to completely remove the headlight and adjust it off-vehicle, than it is to mess around with those adjusting rods. If you don't bother to reinstall the adjusting rods, then the light replacement process is not that bad.

I almost never drive my RV at night, so I have not even tried to adjust them yet.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:17 PM   #9

I’d love to see some pix on all this as I have considered the same. My reason is replacing the lights with LED if at all possible. I’ve been the HID route with two cars and the results are awful because an HID arc curves up between the electrodes and the result is blotchy light with all kinds of shadow areas on the ground. Filament lamp reflectors cannot cope with this arc. That’s not where the reflectors were focused. This coach has driving lights and I swapped the lamps to LED. Those alone have made a huge difference in illumination

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
I’d love to see some pix on all this as I have considered the same.

This coach has driving lights and I swapped the lamps to LED. Those alone have made a huge difference in illumination

I'd like to hear how the upgrade to LED lamps went?
Was it doable , given the pita access? and would you do it again or recommend anyone else to do it.
I don't often drive at night but when I do the lights are poor and high beams are the only salvation.
And since it has auto daytime headlights the bulbs will eventually fail. And require replacement.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
2007 Journey-Headlight Replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDiesel View Post
I'd like to hear how the upgrade to LED lamps went?
Was it doable , given the pita access? and would you do it again or recommend anyone else to do it.
I don't often drive at night but when I do the lights are poor and high beams are the only salvation.
And since it has auto daytime headlights the bulbs will eventually fail. And require replacement.

I installed these in a 2006 Itasca Suncreiser and a 2013 Tour.
Amazing difference
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	269721

Name:   Adjustments.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  18.2 KB

Jesse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	269719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	269720  

Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:18 AM   #12

Unfortunately the Journey/ Meridian is unique to itself. Gotta see someone that’s does this model: ~2003-2007

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:41 AM   #13

Interesting read about the LED bulbs, etc., may look into that some day. In my case, I rarely drive at night and try to avoid doing so. On my particular rig, my passenger side headlight lens was somewhat foggy, although the driver side looked fine. I bought one of the RainX headlight lens restore kits to use on the fogged side, not really expecting much from it. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked, both sides are perfect now.

Tags
ace, headlight, journey, light, replace, replacement