Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2014, 05:42 AM   #1

2007 winnebago steering issue

I just brought a 2007 Winnebago Sightseer and when ever I hit bad bumps, big trucks go by or heavy wind the RV wants to go in its own directions. I have to oversteer to correct it. What can the problem be and what solution is available? We love the room and comfort of our Winnebago. We are first time owners.
Ron and sue

Adrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2014, 06:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrion View Post
I just brought a 2007 Winnebago Sightseer and when ever I hit bad bumps, big trucks go by or heavy wind the RV wants to go in its own directions. I have to oversteer to correct it. What can the problem be and what solution is available? We love the room and comfort of our Winnebago. We are first time owners.
Ron and sue
Not sure what chassis your Winnebago sits on. There are some things you can do to help out with the dreaded all over the road syndrome. Google or search in this site the following: CHF (Cheap Handling Fix), Steer Safe, SafeTPlus, TruCenter, Roadmaster Reflex, Blue Ox TigerTrak. Also, make sure you have the correct tire pressures.

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:17 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Ron and sue
WELCOME to iRV2.com and the WBGO forum. After you determine which CHASSIS you have, I suggest you look in the respective forum (Ford or Workhorse) here on iRV2. You'll find LOTS of threads on the subject.

Most likely, after air pressure adjustments, your first mod should be a rear trac bar to reduce the "tail wagging the dog" effect, but I suggest much reading before throwing money at the problem. It may be that you just need to get more experience driving these bricks on wheels.

Again, WELCOME!
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Ron and sue
The first two things to do are: weigh the coach and adjust the tire pressures according to the tire manufacturer's load table, then have the front end aligned by a good truck service center.

Do a test run and if there are still problems, I would start with adding a HD anti-sway bar (such as the Roadmaster HD) to the rear end. After each change take it for a road test. If there are still problems you can proceed with additional steps such as a steering stabilizer, etc.

In my experience, the proper tire pressure, front end alignment and the additional heavy duty rear stabilizer gives the biggest bang for the buck in improved handling.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had the front aligned, adjusted tire pressure, installed a Blue Ox rear track bar, a TruCenter, and Sumo Springs on all four corners. Drives wonderful now. Did all of the installs myself, which helped a lot on the cost.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What brand of tires and what is their size?

Next how much does the RV weigh...you have to go to a scale and weigh it.

Tire pressure is very important in handling.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago, steering