RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #1

2008 Adventurer 38T

I am seriously looking at this 2008 38T. My DW and I love the floor plan and the interior room is quite large. The MH is in exceptional condition and only has 3,000 mi on it (no that's not a type o) The paint is perfect with no clearcoat blistering and the interior is immaculate. I've never owned in Winny product so if there is any known or common problems with this year or model please speak up. Thanks
Tom

MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
I am seriously looking at this 2008 38T. My DW and I love the floor plan and the interior room is quite large. The MH is in exceptional condition and only has 3,000 mi on it (no that's not a type o) The paint is perfect with no clearcoat blistering and the interior is immaculate. I've never owned in Winny product so if there is any known or common problems with this year or model please speak up. Thanks
Tom
The Adventurer was the top-of-the-line GASSER back then, and IF that one is on a WCC chassis, I believe it will be the W-24 that was NOT involved in the infamous "brake recall". Sounds like you've found a real gem, assuming the price is right for a 12 YO coach.

The only downside, IMO, is the "basement" AC/heat pump unit instead of roof-top units. Most owners LOVE it, but if you get a bad one like I did in my 2010 Suncruiser, you will find that support from the maker (RVP) is non-existant. They do make a total replacement unit, but not the same as the one used by WBGO.

edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #3

Thanks Ed, it is on the W-24 chassis with 6 speed Allison. This is the only only 38 ft gas model Winny made with a 266" wheelbase which helps with the wb to length ratio. This thing is still shiny underneath and has tires that are 1 year old. It is on consignment at a local dealer for $49,000
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:07 AM   #4

I have a 2008 35A Adventurer on a workhorse chassis, which I bought new. Worst problems were the ABS system failed due to rusting of the back wheel hub sensor fins (or whatever they are called). This is a WABCO system that no RV repair center or GMC center could fix due to lack of software for the ABS system. Workhorse is defunct and no one will work on them. Finally got a garage in Maine who bought the WABCO software to identify the problem and replace the back wheel hubs and sensors. Basement a/c has been a serious design defect, since the a/c can't keep up with the combined heat rise in the full sun with the generator going and outside temp in the 80's, even using shore power. Plus the ac is very noisy in the bedroom. Check for proper operation of the electric couchbed, which has a weak DC drive motor and fails to close without tugging hard on the couch. Other than that it has been a great unit for winter, spring and fall, and in shady RV parks with shore power in the summer.
Smilin Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The rig sounds great. We have the '08 Sightseer which has been nearly perfect. We would have bought the Adventurer but it didn't have a bunk floor plan. Best of luck with the 38 T, it's a nice design.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Jack View Post
I have a 2008 35A Adventurer on a workhorse chassis, which I bought new. Worst problems were the ABS system failed due to rusting of the back wheel hub sensor fins (or whatever they are called). This is a WABCO system that no RV repair center or GMC center could fix due to lack of software for the ABS system. Workhorse is defunct and no one will work on them. Finally got a garage in Maine who bought the WABCO software to identify the problem and replace the back wheel hubs and sensors. Basement a/c has been a serious design defect, since the a/c can't keep up with the combined heat rise in the full sun with the generator going and outside temp in the 80's, even using shore power. Plus the ac is very noisy in the bedroom. Check for proper operation of the electric couchbed, which has a weak DC drive motor and fails to close without tugging hard on the couch. Other than that it has been a great unit for winter, spring and fall, and in shady RV parks with shore power in the summer.
You are correct that Workhorse is out of the RV business (thanks to Navistar) but it is not true what you said about "no one will work on them". In fact, there are more than a few Authorized Service Centers (ASCs) that do just that and some of them are still doing the "brake recall" that was issued in 2010. Navistar is still providing the parts and reimbursing the ASCs that complete any open recall that was ever issued, no matter how old, because they are required to do so by Federal Law.

Sorry you did not find an RV service center capable of working on WABCO braking systems, but "most" of the Workhorse ASCs have them.

Those "finned" things are known as "exiciter rings" and they are a cast iron ring attached to the wheel end that allow the ABS sensor to read the revolution spped at each wheel to prevent lock-up and skidding.

I certainly agree with your assessment of the performance of the basement AC, and agree it isn't "enough" capacity for the cubic volume of air inside these huge floor plans caused by slideouts.

edgray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, vent