Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2015, 05:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2008 Latitude 39W questions

We are love the floor plan of the 2008 Itasca Latitude 39W. Lucky for us there are 2 that suit our needs - so the question is Gas -vs- Diesel.
Basement air if cared for should last how long before major expenses start to occur.
Any specific areas that I should be looking at for problems that a newbie would be able to spot before we hire an inspector? Any things he/she needs to pay special attention to?

I have searched and have read several threads about this model. Including finding additional information about the power chip for the gas. We will begin by bringing our toad - Flex and then at some point adding the HD Ultra - so know this we may just invest in a trailer (will be reading about those) TTL trailer weight over 6K lbs.

Thank you for any assistance.
AngusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
JBP
Winnie-Wise

I really appreciated our base air in our Itasca Meridian 36.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusT View Post
We are love the floor plan of the 2008 Itasca Latitude 39W. Lucky for us there are 2 that suit our needs - so the question is Gas -vs- Diesel.
Basement air if cared for should last how long before major expenses start to occur.
Any specific areas that I should be looking at for problems that a newbie would be able to spot before we hire an inspector? Any things he/she needs to pay special attention to?

I have searched and have read several threads about this model. Including finding additional information about the power chip for the gas. We will begin by bringing our toad - Flex and then at some point adding the HD Ultra - so know this we may just invest in a trailer (will be reading about those) TTL trailer weight over 6K lbs.

Thank you for any assistance.
As you apparently already know, the coach was built on either the Workhorse R-26 (UFO) gas pusher chassis OR on the FCCC straight rail DP chassis (not sure about the specs on it). The Gasser provides a GVWR of 26,000 and a 30,000 GCVWR. Therefore, I suggest you determine what those numbers are for the Diesel and make your decision accordingly because of your plans to eventually tow / haul considerable weight.

To be clear, I'm a huge fan of the UFO but I recognize it has limitations, and "chipping" the engine is not going to address them.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have had an an Adventurer (Ford), a Suncruiser (Workhorse) and now a Journey. I test drove a UFO and liked it but the price over a gas was too much for the benefits, to me.
Also usually it's the transmission that limits the tow capabilities not the engine power. The UFO has steel springs while the Freightliner has air suspension. If there isn't a BIG price difference, I would go with the diesel. If the was a big difference and I could afford it I'd go with the diesel. We loved the two gasssers we owned but the diesel is way better and costs more to own.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:00 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
We have had an an Adventurer (Ford), a Suncruiser (Workhorse) and now a Journey. I test drove a UFO and liked it but the price over a gas was too much for the benefits, to me. ......................
The UFO is gas powered. They never actually produced the diesel options promised in the original brochures.
Ed
Old 12-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The Destination was available on a UFO and a Freightliner XC chassis. They produced both.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
The Destination was available on a UFO and a Freightliner XC chassis. They produced both.
Yes, I already posted that fact in post #3 above. My confusion is about your post which I quoted that implies the UFO you test drove was a diesel.
I simply tried to state the UFO was never a diesel.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

test drove both. found the diesel worth the cost. going down the blue ridge mtns put it in 3rd set the engine brake and never touched the brakes on a 35 mph switch back road. it stayed at 35. the air bags absorb the bumps. towing the diesel has more torque. btw bought the diesel. very happy
Dennis just my opinion
stuck in first is offline   Reply With Quote