Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
2010 DP Models - First Hand Feedback

Got to see some 2010 DP models up close at the Washington State rally last week.

The new 40CD floorplan for Tour/Ellipse with the rear bathroom is amazing. Not one person I talked to, man or woman, found any issues with the design. My favorite interior engineering items were the standard AquaHot system, two gray tanks, and a water pump switch in every location that matters (galley, mid-lav and rear bath). The new in counter range top with folding glass cover was a big hit with the ladies.

I'm sad with the demise of Vectra/Horizon there are no chassis options for IFS and disk brakes on Tour/Ellipse. Many folks at the rally were upset the Cummins ISL 425hp isn't an option either.

It wasn't clear to me how the whole split personality of the Journey/Meridian lines was going to be based on the web site. Now things are much clearer.

What was the 2009 Meridian/Journey for 2010 is now called Meridian V-Class and Journey Express. They are essentially unchanged and still share the same Daimler chassis as Destination/Latitude with the Cummins ISB. They dropped the horrible "European" style cabinets from this and all other lines.

The new 2010 Meridian/Journey on the other hand are amazing. The best part is it shares the same drop rail Maxxum chassis as the Tour/Ellipse just with 2000 lbs less GAWR for the front axle. The Cummins ISC is back (hasn't been offered in a Winnebago since 2004) at 360hp/1100ftlbs. The model at the rally was the new 40L and belonged to the Winnebago Western Area rep. I could not find anything negative about the design and neither could the DW.

One really huge thing that stood out which I had not heard about before is the new roof design on the Merdian/Journey and Tour/Ellipse. The exterior design of the roof is much closer to flat and the edge seal seems to be a new design as well. The insulation is now thicker as well. The interior ceiling has been lowered to 72". The change is most noticeable in the vents. The squared off design should help minimize heat/cold losses at the sidewall to roof edge as well.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Nice write-up. We spent considerable amount of time in the 40CD at GNR, and have a different take on a few items that you liked. First off, the new range with hinged glass burner cover is not a good design, in that the cover only lifts to the 90 degree (straight verticle) position. Put a big pot on the big (rear) burner, and the cover is in the way. They should have either made it removable, or at least let it fold back to the wall, out of the way of cooking.

I think AquaHot as standard is a mistake. If you do little or no cold weather camping, you do not need the AH, and it is an expensive to repair system, (even the annual maintenance is costly). What's more, is there is no propane/electric water heater/storage tank. Just the AH, which makes plenty of hot water, but have you ever been parked next to a motorhome on the AH exhaust side? Stink and noise, to the point of some people becoming very angry about it. (just search this forum, for lots of reading about that).

I would have liked to see AH as an option, or at least with a standard electric water heater as an option.

I wanted IFS on my next rig, and it is not avaiable either. We were ready to buy a 40CD while at GNR, but this was the deal-killer.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

The 40CD production unit I saw (delivered to Roy Robinson on 9/15) the glass cover tilted back past 90 degrees, seemed like 110 degrees. Seemed like you could release the back hinge and take it off too.

The AH water heater control board showed a 120V low-demand option. Verified at http://www.hydro-hot.com/b2c/ecom/ecomEnduser/default/FAQs.aspx.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I didn't like the glass cover on the cook top stove either. It needs to be where you can lift it off. I see they have made the Itasca top of the line with the Ellispe being the top runner. I wasn't impressed with the salad bowl sink either. I wouldn't have a RV without the Cummins diesel engine.
I like the aqua hot feature, but it does bring the price tag up, I would also like to see the keyless entry and a dishwasher in the mid grade. Guess that will never happen.
There wasn't many to look at when we went to the Hershey RV show, was really disappointed.
The ellispe had the sectional sofa which slides in, doesn't look like it is made very well, it was a struggle with two people getting it in and out. We got a laugh out of one of the ladies, she stepped in the coach and seen the couch hanging out from the kitchen, made the remark "I don't want to be looking at the back end of the couch while standing in my kitchen". She didn't take time to see that it slides in especially when you are traveling.

All in all I like the TD models on the Tour, Vectra, and Horizon. The 2010 models just don't impress me.....

Wanda
dr.koolwanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

A point of info on Aqua Hot systems. There have two sources of power for their function. One being diesel fuel and the other being electric. The one thing you get that is really nice is endless hot water.......
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I like the sound of that!
dr.koolwanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The Winnebago Western Area sales rep said there have been untold number of meetings over $10 items in trying to find ways to cut costs and standardized the production line. For the foreseeable future Winnebago is out of the luxury RV business and the associated options that go with it. It's all about practical stuff now.

If you want a new rig with IFS and all the bells and whistles I think the best choice outside of Winnebago/Itasca would have to be Tiffin Allegro Bus.

While a large number of folks are pro-Cummins, , the long term track record for CAT engines (now International MaxxForce) has always been lower maintennce and longer life before overhaul. Unlike International, Cummins is not investing in re-engineering their engines for emissions but rather bolting on more stuff which in turn means more stuff that can fail and additional maintenance. Scuttlebutt is the new International engines will get better mileage than Cummins in the same discplacement/power class too. If there was an option for the International MaxxForce engine when it comes time for me to buy the next (full time) rig then that would be my preference.