Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #1

2010 Freightliner alignment and air bag info

I learned a couple things these last two months about the Freightliner chassis used by Winnebago for the Itasca Ellipse and Winnebago Tour (and other) models.

Winne orders the chassis from Freightliner. Almost everybody BUT Winne orders chassis with two air control valves in the front and one in the back. Winne orders 2 in back, 1 in front.

My coach pulled to the right. Had it alligned, still pulled to the right and could not further adjust. Finally learned about Winne's order method. What this means is the one valve in front can't operate two air bags (left and right) to same inflation so the coach leans (in my case to the right) and pulls to the side. Freightliner dealer has ordered a kit to move one of the valves to the front to fix the problem. (Freightliner / Winne rep knows all about the problem, ie a known issue).

Also picked up the coach from a local dealer recently ( for another minor issue) and discovered the two front air bags would not inflate. Techs checked a number of things for 30 minutes until one checked one last thing. There is a linkage rod on the driver side behind the generator that links a lever on the air bag control to the frame. Some how this control the air bag inflation. The issue is the rod has a loop at each end with a rubber gromet in each loop. These gromets fit over a pin on the frame and air bag control. But only the gripping force of the gromet keeps the rod on the pin. No attachment method, pin, ring, nut, etc. Seems my rod just slipped off. The tech layed down, wiggled under the coach, reached up, re-attached the rod, and the air bags inflated. Total time to re-attach the rod, 15 seconds. Hopefully a Service Bulletin is out to fix this. Local Freightliner checking for me.
Phil
philbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Smile

I had the same issue on my 10 tour...As it was an issue for me before delivery ,Lazydays made the same reconfiguration on the controllers sensors as you..that fixed 80 % ..a visit to forest city that realign the rear axle..made it 99%!!
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #3

It's a shame the customer has to end up being the test dummy on so many things the manufactures should have already been through and did the corrections before the coach left the factory.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote