Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2011 Ellipse Tag

I am looking to purchase 2011 Itasca Ellipse,same as Winnebago Tour. Any info "good-bad-ugly". Appreciate feedback. Thanks.
elmer zilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Which floor plan, just curious. We like the 42 QD.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We bought our 2011 Tour 42QD in May, but haven't been able to use it much yet. My wife's health has been really bad. We have spent a week with it and haven't been disappointed. For us, the floor plan is exceptional. The equipment hasn't been a problem.

We did replace the in-motion dish with a Winegard Trav'ler and the 211 receiver with our 722. There wasn't a feed from the front receiver to the rear TV so we'll put one our 612 receivers in the bedroom.

The floor plan is very comfortable, with lots of space in the right places. Closet space is a definite weakness. The stacking washer/dryer do allow you to travel lighter than normal. The dishwasher is pretty quiet and does a nice job. We spend most of our time in the living room area and it wouldn't disappoint in a home. Access to the bed is narrow on both sides. The bed must be in the upright position for travel and it's glacial in its movement. It is a lot more comfortable than the Select Comfort bed in our previous 2008 Tour.

I don't know that it would be especially good a dry camping, but if you have full hookups, you're fine. The toilets and other appliances do tend to go through water and fill the waste tanks. The toilets are programmable, so you do have some control there.

In travel mode, access to the half bath is snug. Access to the rear bath means crawling over the bed. Once setup, with the slides out, it's huge. You could almost walk into the bedroom with your arms straight out and not touch anything.

As with anything, there are pluses and minuses you have to weigh. For us, this is the sweet spot in the price range. Actually, we haven't seen anything above this range that would entice us. The more expensive coaches don't offer anything we'd want and don't include this floor plan, regardless of price.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmer zilch View Post
I am looking to purchase 2011 Itasca Ellipse,same as Winnebago Tour. Any info "good-bad-ugly". Appreciate feedback. Thanks.
There's another thread here a few below: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/cons...ur-112694.html

with info as well.

Have 9K miles and spent about 2 months in our 2011 42QD Ellipse. We got it last July. Took off on a 5K cross country trip for a maiden voyage. It was a move up for us from our "starter" 2007 Tropical LX T370. No comparison in room, ease of driving and comfort. Yep, pluses and minuses at any given time but overall no regrets about buying it. We bought it after seeing the floor plan and test driving this rig, so did not get a chance to order or customize, it was pretty much optioned out with about everything. Only 8 months and only 9K miles hard to tell but everything is holding up well.

I'm off tomorrow to get solar installed and after that rip off the In-motion dome and install Motosat HD. Didn't want another dome but it was already there and installed when we bought it.
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

It is the 42QD. We like this one also. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Which dome was on the unit? Thanks.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have the 2010AD Ellipse ...no idea why dry camping is a question...we dry camp at least 50% of the time and are full time for last 2 years.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2010 42AD Tour and love it. We fulltime in it and find that the ride is great as are the living accommodations. We have done some dry camping and found that the large grey and black tank capacity was wonderful - it is nice not to worry about dumping very often. This is our second Tour (had a 2008 40TD before) and we have been very pleased with the build quality and the few repairs we have needed. We would certainly buy another Tour/Ellipse.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have the Tour 42QD. As far as the floor plan, we think it is the roomiest and best available, when set up. Before you buy, and if this is the floor plan, make sure you check it out with the slides in. It is a little tight getting around, and for those nature calls while on the road, the powder room is a little tight getting into. But, we believed and we were right that this would not be too big a problem. Just so you know.

Operationally, have had a few issues. Most were trivial and easy to correct. However, I have an appointment Forest City for a couple of items that have eluded local dealer repair.

1. The cargo doors can be adjusted to work properly (easy close, solid lock, etc) when the rig is on level ground. When I extend the front jacks to level on uneven ground, the doors will get into a bind and become hard to open and almost impossible to close without slamming them, hard. I am not talking about front wheels off the ground type of jack extension, either. The local guys around here have told me they can not fix this. I have spoken to Winnebago about this and they say they really need to see this. So, they will in April.

2. I had a previous tread on the auto start feature for my generator does not work and thought that Onan had fixed it by replacing the EC-30. But turns out, the first time I tried to us in an operational setting, I learned that it is not fixed. Onan now says that it is something that had to occur during the installation, which they say is a Winnebago issue. The local guys again have referred to Forest City. Since I will be out that way, they are going to look at in April.

Even having detailed these two problems, I will still say that of the four previous motorhomes we have had, this one ranks best for overall initially quality.
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmer zilch View Post
Which dome was on the unit? Thanks.
Kingdome In-Motion. Nothing against Kindome, but wife wants HD (we're with DirecTV, not Dish...that's many other separate threads elsewhere). And domes cause the picture break up with heavy morning dew or moderate rain.

Regards,

Todd
2011 Ellipse 42QD
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote