Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/wind...er-116909.html

See my post on elimination of window flutter.
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

Post Update ! Update !

I drove my new 2012 TOUR today after it arrived at the dealer. I will take delivery next week.
I had carefully read each post on the subject of the "wind noise".

So here we go getting up to highway speed, then I would have never thought that it could be that bad. Wind noise around the front of the drivers side window. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE !
The sound is not the sliding window, and I am wondering about the weep holes. I think there are 4 pairs of holes in the frame. The front holes have a tubular cover,the other 3 pairs have a small rectangular cover over each.
My salesman says it is the mirror location. This had been suggested in earlier post.
I am not sure what years share this mirror location - at least 2011 & 2012
Tour and Ellipse.
I hope others who have these models will comment.

IF,the problem is the mirror location I hope Winnebago will hear this,
it is poor,very poor. Move the mirror back to the front for future purchasers who will spend more than one/third of a million dollars.
Shoe Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoe Sales View Post
I drove my new 2012 TOUR today after it arrived at the dealer. I will take delivery next week.
I had carefully read each post on the subject of the "wind noise".

So here we go getting up to highway speed, then I would have never thought that it could be that bad. Wind noise around the front of the drivers side window. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE !
The sound is not the sliding window, and I am wondering about the weep holes. I think there are 4 pairs of holes in the frame. The front holes have a tubular cover,the other 3 pairs have a small rectangular cover over each.
My salesman says it is the mirror location. This had been suggested in earlier post.
I am not sure what years share this mirror location - at least 2011 & 2012
Tour and Ellipse.
I hope others who have these models will comment.

IF,the problem is the mirror location I hope Winnebago will hear this,
it is poor,very poor. Move the mirror back to the front for future purchasers who will spend more than one/third of a million dollars.
It's not the mirror. I moved my drivers mirror right in up close to the windshield pillar, 90 degrees out, and then angled back along the drivers side. No impact on noise. Next put the mirror back in factory position (out front maybe 6 inches from windshield pillar) and taped up the 4 weepholes. All of them had black plastic rectangular covers on them open at the bottom. Taping the weep holes closed made a significant difference in the wind noise. Note also checked the square tubing supporting the front cap (open ends in that were factory plugged with sealant foam). Have put weather stripping around slide out for genset but have not road tested that yet. This (wind noise) and an annoying rattle near the door (it's not the striker and it's not the screen door, been there fixed or checked those) are the only annoying things I don't like about this rig.

2011 Ellipse 42QD.
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

It does seem like the noise comes from the mirror because the reflective glass bounces at the same time the noise is heard. That is the reason I requested the mirror be changed on my Journey. Changing of the mirror did not cure the issue. However, as I posted above, mine was caused by window glass flutter. My shop has changed out the entire window assembly on the drivers side. I have not had a chance to get the coach on the road since the window was changed. I am hoping I had a bad window in the first place and the new one will cure my noises. I will certainly report the results when we get on the road later in April.

TxTC
Old 03-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TC
It does seem like the noise comes from the mirror because the reflective glass bounces at the same time the noise is heard. That is the reason I requested the mirror be changed on my Journey. Changing of the mirror did not cure the issue. However, as I posted above, mine was caused by window glass flutter. My shop has changed out the entire window assembly on the drivers side. I have not had a chance to get the coach on the road since the window was changed. I am hoping I had a bad window in the first place and the new one will cure my noises. I will certainly report the results when we get on the road later in April.

TxTC
I had a bad wind noise in mine, granted everyone's problem is not the same. On the front of my winne there is a trim piece about 4 inches wide, thar runs down the side of the front window. It is held in by 3 screws. One of the screws had come loose, and the trim piece was not caulked. Wind was catching under that trim piece. The noise was horrendous. Tightened up the screws, ran a little caulking....all is well!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Mine had terrible wind noise. They didn't put the plastic covers over the side window weep holes. Covers installed wind noise totally gone.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

I taped the drain holes located on the lower driver side window and so far through 3000 miles of driving the major noise has not appeared. I will be contacting Winnebago Tech Services for drain hole covers seeing that my new Itasca Ellipse was not delivcered with any in place.
MikSher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

When I replaced mine,I put a little silicone on them and they have stayed in place for 3 years now.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Talking Window flutter cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TC View Post
. Changing of the mirror did not cure the issue. However, as I posted above, mine was caused by window glass flutter. My shop has changed out the entire window assembly on the drivers side. I have not had a chance to get the coach on the road since the window was changed..

TxTC
Check out the window flutter reduction :
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/wind...er-116909.html
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca