Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #1

2011 Tour overheating/need help

Some of you on this forum know I am in process of purchasing a used 2011 42 Tour with just over 10,000 miles, 400 Cummins, rear radiator. I have a deal with the owner and a deposit down. We took the coach out for test drive today and here is what happened.
All was good for the first 10 miles but then all of sudden the temp gauge and alarm came on. It had been running between half and one quarter on the gauge (slightly below normal) but all of sudden jumped into the red. This happened within less than a minute.
Before I shut it down I went out back by the rear radiator to see if the fan was blowing. Hardly any air coming out? Let it sit for 10 minutes then started it again and wow the gauge went back to normal and alarm stopped. Went out back and now I could really feel the fan blowing. Went back to campground, 10 miles and no problem. Never drove the coach over 60 before and after this happened. Coolant level was full. The owner said he has had this happen before and Cummins adjusted the computer and it did not do it again until now?
Any thoughts on this and have any other owners with this engine and model ever had a similar problem?
I really love this coach and want to complete the deal but only with this problem fixed. Thanks for your help
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #2

Here is what was happening on our Freightliner chassis in our Newmar. Ours is a side radiator, but still a Freightliner control. I did this back in Nov. This was my post in the Newmar section.

When we were driving down the road and pulled over for a quick stop (1 min or less) and I left the engine idle when driving again the engine would overheat. The fan would not kick in to high speed. Not even if I turned the AC on to max.

However if I shut the engine down, then restarted and drove off, all was fine.

When it would heat up all I had to do was shut down the engine for minute and all was fine.

I could replicate at will.

So I contacted Freightliner help and they said it will need a fan control module.

I made an appointment at the Troy IL location. They got me right in, the tech Dan called Freightliner right away. Freightliner says "oh yeah that is service special 3737, we'll send the part straight down to you". This was last Friday.

They called Monday morning to say they had the part, I told I'll be up Wednesday. Slipped up there this morning and Dan got us right in. It took all of 10 minutes to install. It goes inline right at the fan pigtail.

Here is the part.

And should anybody encounter a fan control problem, just unplug the pigtail right there and your fan becomes fixed speed fan. High speed only, so it will take down the fuel mileage till it gets fixed.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I also heard there is fuse you can pull that will also keep it at fixed speed. I am sorry I don't know which fuse but Freightliner Help Line will tell you.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #4

Hey Guys,
Thank you so much for the valuable information and reply to my thread. I think that is exactly the problem you described. Makes perfect sense. I hope I can return the favor to both of you someday.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #5

Had the same overheat with ours. It was the fan not coming on. Had to replace the fan clutch. After that no more overheat.

Hopes this helps.
Tom_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
That should be a covered warrenty item.
Hopefully there is a liscenced shop in your area.