Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

A couple more things:
1) I noticed that my battery cells are a little over filled. They water actually is past the plates and about 1/4" up into the plastic area where the caps snap into. So I thought I'd do a hydrometer test. The battery of the left had good readings on 5 cells (all the beads floated) but had 1 cell bad. On the battery to right, no beads floated at all. That tells me that battery is no good. Looks like time for 2 new batteries.

2) I still have shore power plugged in. When I turn the chassis disconnect switch on—meaning green light on—and the house batts are providing power—I get a reading of 13.6. If I turn hit the switch to OFF the green light still stays on (I guess because I'm still plugged into shore power) the reading is 12.95. What position should I leave the switch in?

3) Well I thought I'd do a hydrometer test. The battery of the left had good readings on 5 cells (all the beads floated) but had 1 cell bad. On the battery to right, no beads floated at all. That tells me that battery is no good. Looks like time for 2 new batteries.

So, I have in there now 2 - Marine RV Deep Cycle, SRM-24, 690 MCA, 140 RC for the house batteries which seem to be 12 volt. After reading much on this subject in past and everyones opinions, I have the money so how about just buying these:
http://www.bestconverter.com/GPL-24T...l#.WDHVZjb5x3k

And, is there any special procedure to changing out these batteries other than, disconnecting from shore power, turning off the batteries at the disconnect switch, and then removing the neg. cable 1st? I know with changing the chassis battery you can have computer memory issues if you don't apply supplement power prior to changing out.

thx
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:36 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Mity-Mite SARVC

I have owned two Winnebagos. The first was an Outlook Class C 30 amp service. The converter in that was a single stage charger. Leaving the coach plugged in boiled my batteries and bulged them out. I don't know what model that was.

My second coach is an Itasca Sunova with 50amp service. This one as the Schumacher Mity-Mite SARVC converter. My research on this converter told me it is a converter Schumacher makes exclusively for production at Winnebago. Thus, the specs and manual I found online were very lacking. I have included the manual, since that is what they call it, on this post. The number for Schumacher is on it, maybe they can tell you more. Winnebago ought to be able to tell you where it is. They recently sent me a CAD 3D plumbing diagram when I called them at the factory customer service. Very helpful.

MY research told me the Schumacher Mity-Mite is a 55 amp chager and that was pretty much it. I have a digital "One Place" display. The amp draw when only the charger is operating goes from 3 to 2 to 1 to 0 over the course of a day or two. My coach stays plugged in constantly and I have never boiled a battery in 5 years which leads me to believe it is a low end 3 stage charger.

Enjoy the manual, it is a joke. And really, I have always found Winnebago very responsive to my questions. I never asked them about this converter. You can email them at [email protected] or call them at 641 585 1885 https://winnebagoind.com/contact.

Best of luck!
Old 11-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

marjoa, Looks like the readings confirm what we were thinking, the convert and wiring are good to go. I would not spend a lot of money on AGM batteries without upgrading the converter/charger to a good 3 stage charger which I pretty sure the one you have is not. AGM batteries are sensitive to overcharging. Having one bad battery in a 12VDC side by side hookup and cause all kinds of issues.
I keep my coach connected to shore power anytime I'm not driving it and it has a good 3 stage charger
I only time use the disconnect switches is when I not going to use the coach and it is not connected to shore power.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
marjoa, Looks like the readings confirm what we were thinking, the convert and wiring are good to go. I would not spend a lot of money on AGM batteries without upgrading the converter/charger to a good 3 stage charger which I pretty sure the one you have is not. AGM batteries are sensitive to overcharging. Having one bad battery in a 12VDC side by side hookup and cause all kinds of issues.
I keep my coach connected to shore power anytime I'm not driving it and it has a good 3 stage charger
I only time use the disconnect switches is when I not going to use the coach and it is not connected to shore power.
Ok, well I'll just replace the batteries with what I've got for now. I don't want to get into changing chargers/converters right now. Maybe later. Do you think I should replace just the one bad battery on the right? The one on the left all the cells are good but one? Or just replace both.
OR how about this matched pair. These should work with my existing converter/charger shouldn't they? And they have more reserve power.
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/p...v=N~2147384903

Here's a chart of this type of series batteries. The SRM-29 is up the ladder a bit from the SRM-24 that I now have and I do have that room in my battery bay.
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/m...rine/deepcycle

Your thoughts.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

marjoa, replace both batteries with the same as you have now.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:40 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
marjoa, replace both batteries with the same as you have now.
Ok.

Tags
cat, converter