RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #1

2013 Ellipse DVD Player

So our mh surround sound goes thru the DVD player and works well but what happens if the DVD player fails? I could not find a replacement dvd player that has the surround function. My first thought was that I could use a standard DVD player and replace the hdmi matrix with a home theater receiver but the interface to the other tvís from the matrix is via cat 5/6 wiring and I could not find a receiver with cat 5/6 outputs. Any thoughts?

clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #2

I have a 2015 Itasca Ellipse and I never use the surround sound. It is not really surround sound just several speakers in the ceiling. I got a sound bar, hooked it up to the television and itís much better sounding. Just remember to turn off the sound on the tv.

TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:58 AM   #3

Our surround sound works well, but only when playing a DVD. The AUX input on the DVD system is from a stereo output on the TV, which doesn't sound as good.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #4

Whatís interesting is the way the sound is connected from the tv back to the DVD player. The factory wiring diagram shows connecting a digital optical cable to the back of the tv that simply splits into rca cables which is interesting since the only way I know of to do this requires a converter and needs to have power neither of which is indicated on their diagram. I decided to pull the tv down and what I found was kinda weird. It appears that a small hole was drilled thru the back of the tv and an rca cable was somehow attached inside the tv.
I guess this explains why we do not get sound from the tv to the DVD player.
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:54 PM   #5

My Samsung TV has an Audio out mini-jack, level volume. This is run to the AUX input of the DVD/Surround sound system. I turn off the TV speakers, and use the AUX volume control on the DVD system. But this input is only stereo and is sent to the surround sound speakers.

I split this output and attached a bluetooth transmitter for my wireless headset.