RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #1

2013 Journey 36M Full Slide Issue

First let me say that I have spent many hours reviewing forums for this issue and what I have found is that most are years old and no longer active. Second none describe an issue exactly like the the one we are having.
Has anyone experienced a problem with the full slide-out like this. Our full slide goes in and out and makes no unusual sounds that we can hear while inside coach or outside standing near the corner having the issue. The lower front corner of the slide is pushing the screws that hold the cover to the body of the RV out as the slide-out is retracted into the RV. When the slide is pushed out there is no pressure against the screws.
I spoke with tech support at Lippert (SP?) and they felt that the slide mechanism was out of adjustment and I should take measurements top, middle, bottom of slide front and rear with slide 3/4 out. If the measurements are off I needed to lift the motor and the drive shaft out of the lower track than reinstall.
Here are the measurements:
3/4 out Full out
Rear top: 11 3/16" 16 1/16"
Rear middle: 11 1/8" 15 15/16"
(37 1/4" down from top):
Rear bottom: 11 3/16" 16"

Based on these measurements I don't believe the slide is out of aliment. I checked with Winnebago tech support to find out what the measurement specs are for this slide out and they really don't have one. They stated that the inside trim should be pushed up against the wall of the RV top to bottom front and back. I can get my fingers between the slide trim and the wall but the space is even front and back top and bottom.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full_Wall_Slide_Injpg.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	267290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Full_Wall_Slide_Out.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	267291  

Name:	Full_Wall_Slide_Out_2.jpg
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	267292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Full_Wall_Slide_Out_3.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	267293  

JoeAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I see your slide side seal is no longer held in place. You might reseat the seal and see if this might solve the problem. I have an old 2005 Itasca Maridian and replaced the side seals on one slide. It wasn’t that hard on my coach, so I can’t say about yours. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:04 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAnt View Post
First let me say that I have spent many hours reviewing forums for this issue and what I have found is that most are years old and no longer active. Second none describe an issue exactly like the the one we are having.

Has anyone experienced a problem with the full slide-out like this. Our full slide goes in and out and makes no unusual sounds that we can hear while inside coach or outside standing near the corner having the issue. The lower front corner of the slide is pushing the screws that hold the cover to the body of the RV out as the slide-out is retracted into the RV. When the slide is pushed out there is no pressure against the screws.

I spoke with tech support at Lippert (SP?) and they felt that the slide mechanism was out of adjustment and I should take measurements top, middle, bottom of slide front and rear with slide 3/4 out. If the measurements are off I needed to lift the motor and the drive shaft out of the lower track than reinstall.

Here are the measurements:

3/4 out Full out

Rear top: 11 3/16" 16 1/16"

Rear middle: 11 1/8" 15 15/16"

(37 1/4" down from top):

Rear bottom: 11 3/16" 16"

Front top: 11 3/8" 16 1/8"

Front middle: 11 3/8" 16 1/8"

Front bottom: 11 3/8" 16"

Based on these measurements I don't believe the slide is out of aliment. I checked with Winnebago tech support to find out what the measurement specs are for this slide out and they really don't have one. They stated that the inside trim should be pushed up against the wall of the RV top to bottom front and back. I can get my fingers between the slide trim and the wall but the space is even front and back top and bottom.

Any advise would be appreciated.

JoAnt
Your trim needs to be removed and your mechanism needs to be re-attached.
Notice on the attached pics that some of the screws are missing the mounting beams.
This is not a big job. I can walk you through it.
I wouldn’t operate it until repaired.

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	267330Attachment 1
We should talk.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #4

Thanks Jesse will send you a e-mail
JoeAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:17 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAnt View Post
Thanks Jesse will send you a e-mail
Joe

Repair info

https://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5046327

Jesse
Old 11-21-2019, 03:52 PM   #6

Thank you Jesse.

It is in the low 60's here in Hilton Head, and we are in the shade, so I may wait until we move to Jensen Beach on 1 Dec as I don't want to damage the painted plastic.

If I understand you correctly I just need to pry the curved end that is furthest from the slide and work my way from bottom to top. Once off the screws are accessible.

I have been working my way through the 68 page thread and see that you had the same issue with your transfer switch that I had. I would not have removed the cover of the transfer switch if I were not installing an Autoformer. I will be checking those connection routinely from now on.

I will provide update once I work on the slide.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Old_Transfer_Switch._7pg.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	267559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old_Transfer_Switch._6pg.jpg
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	267560  

Old 11-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club

Joe
I love Hilton Head. Yes that is correct.
Great to hear you are reading the posts.
I enjoy passing on my experiences to help
What’s an Autoformer?
Jesse
Old 11-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #8

Hughes Autoformer provide surge protection but it's primary function is to boost voltage. If line voltage falls to 109 volts it can boost by 10%.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:07 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club

Joe
I will be looking into that.
That could be the answer for many having to reset the RVComfort due to locking at low voltage.

Thanks
Jesse
Old 11-24-2019, 11:27 AM   #10

I hope it helps. It always adds 2% voltage so even though I have excellent power at this resort (118 - 121 volts) once I plug in the autoformer I am at 124 volts.

So the temperature rose to 70 in Hilton Head today so I got my courage up to remove the plastic that covers the screws. You have to be very patient and careful at the beginning but once started it peels off very easily. Here is what I found. The 5 screws at the bottom were just sitting in the holes I could pull them out with my fingers. I decided to see if I could tighten them and to my surprise all 5 tighten. I even used my 90 degree Phillip’s head screw driver so I could put more torque on the screws. All of them tightened. So not sure if Winnebago ever tightened the screws. About 6 inches above those 5 screws was another screw that was broken must have happen during install. I attempted to put a new screw in but it would not go in so will need to drill out the screw that is left. Once settled in Florida will be checking all the screws on this slide front and back.
Does anyone have information of the slide locks Winnebago used for these slides? I am interested in purchasing a set. Also where on the slide do you put the lock.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screws_with_Trim_Removed.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	267805  
Old 11-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #11

The slide locks on our coach are built in to the slide tops. Two on full wall slide, one on dining room slide. The are electric and operated by switches next to the slide in/out controls.

Tags
journey, slide