Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2014/15 Itasca 27N Questions

Looking to buy one, and we are seeking some feedback, or opinions, from present owners e.g. what you like, maybe what you don't care for. From what little we could experience at a dealer, we did find general layout & amount outside storage appealing (except for the bedroom slide which consumes half the queen bed when retracted).
Thank you!! And happy travels..........
millwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2013 Winnebago Vista 27N. I've had it a little over a year, driven more than 8,000 miles, and have camped up to six weeks at a time. I can say the only thing I don't like about it is the small hole for the sewer hose in the floor of the compartment. It's too small to pass the hose through with the fittings attached. I traded a 2013 total dog of a 2013 Thor ACE 27.1 for the 27N. Took a loss but it was well worth it. In comparing the two, the Vista handles well without any modification to the steering or suspension. The fit and finish is very good. In that area I've only had one problem; the corner of one of the dinette benches (supporting the cushion) opened up. It was fixed under warranty with an "L" bracket and screws. The only other warranty problem was, when driving, the fresh water tank would siphon down to 1/3 tank. The dealer fixed that by rerouting the overflow pipe up then down to form a trap. The Vista has a huge amount of storage, about 30% of my cabinets are empty. I have made a few additions. I had upgrade kits installed in the Fantastic Fans to convert them to remote controlled, variable speed. with rain sensors. I put a Maxxair cover over the bathroom vent, and added a hardwired surge protector/power manager. I tow a CR-V without any problems.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwind View Post
Looking to buy one, and we are seeking some feedback, or opinions, from present owners e.g. what you like, maybe what you don't care for. From what little we could experience at a dealer, we did find general layout & amount outside storage appealing (except for the bedroom slide which consumes half the queen bed when retracted).
Thank you!! And happy travels..........

Our best friends and sometimes travel buddies bought a '13 new. They have been very happy with it overall. The single biggest deficiency is common to 30 amp coaches. The single A/C can't keep up when the outside temp is over 90. They now travel with a one of the portable 120 vac wheeled units that vent out a window. They installed a washer/drier in a cabinet across from the bathroom door.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Regarding Steve's comment, I've stayed in a couple of campgrounds when the temps have been 95+. I haven't had any problems keeping the coach comfortable. It's not refrigerator cold but is an ok 76-77 degrees. The dash ac is another thing though. Every time I pull a pretty good grade it blows warmish air.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Time View Post
Regarding Steve's comment, I've stayed in a couple of campgrounds when the temps have been 95+. I haven't had any problems keeping the coach comfortable. It's not refrigerator cold but is an ok 76-77 degrees. The dash ac is another thing though. Every time I pull a pretty good grade it blows warmish air.
Yes, we have the same situation in our present RV of about the same interior cubic ft. & attribute this mostly to the lesser effectiveness of our std. equipment 13,500 BTU AC unit vs. the optional 15,000'er. If we keep this RV we will swap to out the 15,000 job. Appreciate the comment.
millwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

We had a 2012 Sunstar 26P (Itasca product.) We traded after 2 years; could not effectively cool the unit with the air conditioner and the dash air conditioner did not cool enough either. Good quality construction - but road very rough due to shorter wheel base. It was 27' long. Huge mistake for us - went from 37' National Sea Breeze to this unit. Traded it in January, 2014 for a Newmar Canyon Star 3610 - 37 foot again. They also make a great Bay Star unit - excellent quality as well. Our new unit is insulated better, has insulated windows, better air conditioners (we only run 1 of the 2 units.) Check prices carefully; you can get a great coach for not much more money! Our Sunstar was way overpriced!
bwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Time View Post
I can say the only thing I don't like about it is the small hole for the sewer hose in the floor of the compartment. It's too small to pass the hose through with the fittings attached.
We have the same gripe about our 2014 Vista 27N. Sewer hose cutout way too small. Other than that.... it's great.

Tags
itasca