Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-08-2017, 09:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2014 Meridian Heat Pump Condensate Drain

The coach is equipped with plumbed drains from the heat pumps to the curbside rear. Initially they worked fine puddling water when they were operating. I noticed that the front unit was not draining into the tubing but overflowed the reservoir and ran onto the roof. I blew out the drain tubing with compressed air and it seemed to work OK for a little while. Is there a permanent fix to this issue? The rear unit drains just fine.
rvrlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

As I understand it, in air conditioning mode the condensation would be inside the roof unit, on coil, drip and be pumped to the rear of the coach.

In heat pump mode, wouldn't the operation be opposite. Condensation be outside, on the outside coil, and just run off the roof?

No pumping to rear of coach.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Each unit has a small condensate pump (similar to a swamp cooler pump), which runs anytime the compressor is on. I had to replace my front unit pump due to the motor shaft freezing up. I think I paid $62.25 + s/h in Jan 2016.

Email Eric Botts [email protected] with unit model number.

It wasn't very hard to change out. Just be sure to cut power.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Condesate pumps

Our 2011 Meridian had all 3 pumps not working. Same problem as previous listing. I removed the cover, then removed a couple of screws of the pump cover. Removed 2 more screws and removed the pump, Took pump to the bench and disassembled. Polished the shaft, cleaned the bearings, lubed the shaft and bearings, reassembled and tested. All worked just like new. Total time spent about 35 minutes. (even if coach is not plugged in to power, make sure inverter is off)
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

rvrlyle ,mjeffrey has a good point are you cooling or heating with the roof top units? I don,t believe our roof top heat pumps have a defrost mode but you could get some water from the outside coil in the heat pump mode.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The pump only runs in the cooling cycle. When cooling is when you get condensation that drips from the coil. (Thus the term "condensate") There is no defrost cycle on the Heat/AC units
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Per Airxcel, the pump runs whenever the compressor runs. I think it could be re-wired by adding a 12v relay controlled by the tstat Y1 which calls for cooling.

Another design flaw, IMHO, is that the blower does not shut off in electric heat mode, when units goes into lockout due to frost buildup on outdoor coils. You end up with the gas furnace on and the heatpump blower on. The roof vents produce cool air due to the outside cold penetrating the roof.

Tags
heat, heat pump