Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2017, 04:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2014 Navion

Hi All

Looking to purchase a 2014 Navion. Has anybody put an Automatic Transfer Switch and an Automatic Transfer switch in? If so, hard to do/expensive? Suggestions on the project?

Thanks
Woohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

A lot of the higher end inverters have a transfer switch built in so that you don't have to think about it.

Is there are particular function that you are hoping to gain? Just curious.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I kind of like the manual plug the cord into the generator outlet. It is foolproof and doesn't fail.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryn View Post
A lot of the higher end inverters have a transfer switch built in so that you don't have to think about it.

Is there are particular function that you are hoping to gain? Just curious.
I am concerned about leaving a pet in the coach. Was thinking of transfer switch and auto gen start,,,what do folks do who have a pet?
Old 07-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woohoo View Post
I am concerned about leaving a pet in the coach. Was thinking of transfer switch and auto gen start,,,what do folks do who have a pet?
We have a 2017 View and when you unhook from the campground you just plug your 30 amp cord into the genset receptacle. Keep it plugged in while you travel and when you stop to sight see, you turn the genset and the AC on for the dog.

There's not much room in the back compartment for the cord and receptacle so I'm unsure if you'd have room for the xfer switch, etc. Seems like overkill for very little effort to just plug in.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

The concern would be when I am plugged in and gone from the coach. If there is a power failure,,,either CG related or Coach related,,,,there will be no ac.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

There are many types of temperature monitors on the market that will notify you by phone/text if the temperature in the motorhome exceeds a pre-selected level. They work well.
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

There are 'auto-start' systems for most brands of generators. You'll have to check to see if yours has the wiring built in already. Because of the huge expense of adding that system to a RV, most people opt for the phone app system. Won't start your generator for you but will alert you when the temp gets too high.

But things are moving so fast these days, wouldn't be surprised if you could find an aftermarket device that'll do the autostart and even pet your dogs for you.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

This is probably overkill but it works as an optimization for all of the preceding listed short comings for my 2012 Navion. Go Power ATS from Amazon and ABS outdoor electrical utility box 8x8x4 $23 from Home Depot. 1. Removed the electromechanical relay, cut the flimsy Go Power box up to get the delay circuitry out. 2. mounted the above in the sturdy, watertight Home Depot box. 3. Made a cardboard template of the 4 mounting holes on the back of the new box 4. Positioned the template on the interior of the RV electrical compartment where the generator cord comes through the compartment wall. Marked the template with the location of the generator cord hole, marked the wall with the location of the 4 utility box holes. 5. Drilled a hole in the box to match the generator cord hole. Used the hole for the shore power cord. 6. Drilled 4 mounting holes in the interior of the electrical compartment. 7. Drilled hole in box for generator cord. 8. Made all electrical connections to box, attached lid, mounted box between the black water tank and the back of the compartment by using the shore power cord to position the 4 mounting holes to insert the screws. 9. secured cables with tie-wraps.

A lot of work and time to preserve space in the electrical compartment! Not sure I would do it again.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

After the ATS project I was left with two holes,one where the chasis 110 vac supply line enters the valve compartment and one between the valve compartment and the electrical compartment. I just received the parts to install a marine grade cigarette lighter that fits in the hole behind the removed generator J box and I intend to use the other hole to route the 12V wires to the fuse panel under the fridge. The 12V socket will be used to power a macerator or a fresh water pump (Harbor Freight) that I now have room for due to the absence of the J Box. I will be able to fill the water tank from a rain barrel or water jug with Camco in line filter.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

As LuvLabs said, you have the most reliable and simplest set up. Adding an autostart and autoxfer switch give you two additional potential failure points.

Better to be close by and have a temperature monitor.....
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Simple works

As an Electrician that loves Auto-Transfer Switches I also agree that simpler is better. I like the fact that our 2017 Navion Doesn't have an ATS. I also immediately plug the shore cord into the Generator plug for use if needed.
The only thing I will add ( And will do so this winter ) is install a Inline power monitor / protection system such as Progressive, etc to protect my coaches electrical from the many sub-standard power systems you fine at campgrounds.
Pam, GiGi, & Mark Traveling in GiGi's Dog House. 2017 Navion 24G w/ Dinette being pushed by 2017 Chevy Spark. Loss GiGi in 2017 to cancer. A part of her rides with us all the time but not the same. She really enjoyed Adventures
Bompa13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Agree with Bompa13 and OldCrows - For RELIABILITY, simplest is best. I've had two experiences with failure of the simple solution, a little off topic and not directly related to ATS, but 1. the shore cord plug bent the prongs from vibration when connected to the generator socket. I learned to coil the cord (while kneeling on my garden mat) by inserting the plug into the generator socket 1st then coiling in the direction of the cord leaving the plug. 2. I had an adapter (Walmart) that converted the 30 amp plug to a 20 amp receptacle. Totally by coincidence I plugged in a circuit tester, it indicated an open ground wire. It was the adapter. The bent prong problem would not have happened with an ATS.

The ATS offers added CONVENIENCE and CAPABILITY but decreases RELIABILITY and SIMPLICITY. If mounted in the electrical compartment, it also decreases valuable space. No free lunch!

It occurs to me that by adding the 12 VDC socket in place of the generator J-Box, it becomes possible to plug in an external solar panel to charge the house batteries. More capability and reliability! On the other hand, that capability may exist in compartment that is wired for an outside TV, I'll have to look and see if 12VDC is wired to the compartment.