Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2018, 09:57 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No matter what you decide to do you will be over the design weight of the MH. Ford has done their homework and so did Winnebago. Yuu have to understand that in most cases, the MH MFG has already added some length to the frame of the chassis. This has been calculated into their decision to only put a 5klb hitch on the MH. They already have calculated in the max hitch weight. If they wanted to allow you to be able to tow more on the hitch they would have designed it that way.
But as others have already stated, you already have your mind made up. All I ask is that you let those of us that have concerns know when you are getting on the road so that we stay clear of where you travel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2018, 07:37 AM   #16

Doing all the math of trailer weight, coach and contents like water,fuel,trailer base weight and contents etc, i can get within 800 to 1800 lbs of the combined max load for this combo. I am going to check on the brakes size and what they can provide for braking , the highest weight they are used for. The limit on total combined weight is somewhat limited by frame strength, which i will have taken care of.
For those of you that were rather sharp in your responses, best you watch out for the guy in a diesel pusher, going 75 mph pulling a heavy trailer. His 50,000 lbs at that speed is a he!! Of a lot more dangerous than my rig going 55 to 60 and having BETTER braking capabilitys at ANY SPEED. So feel free to pass me with care, because you will probably be going much faster than me. As for my background in figuring this all out, i design and build my own race cars that exceed 160 mph. That includes brakes, frames, suspension, and driveline. In forty years of racing i have never had an issue with handling or stopping. I think i can put appropriate limits on speed and distance to be much safer than well over half the rvs towing, not to mention vehicles like loaded dumptrucks. Ever driven one with 65,000 loaded weight? I have. It will scare you, knowing that you will be traveling the same roads after you drive one and learn how much distance it takes to stop one. So with that, thanks to those who provided constructive input. It is much appreciated, and always taken into cosideration when i decide on something!
gregsdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:46 PM   #17

Best of luck to you. You are the one who asked for the opinion of those who have years of actual experience and respect the design parameters Ford Motor and Winnebago have stated as their limits. You obviously disagree and are adamant to ignore them, again, best of luck to you.

Should there be a mishap of some kind just hope the injured parties attorneys and your own insurance company are ignorant you've chosen to ignore the design parameters. It could leave you totally responsible for all costs.

Just my .02 I'm over and out. I gave it a shot and tried to reach your sensibilities. If you were my kids I'd slap you upside the head, but You're not my responsibility.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, upgrade