Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2017, 07:48 PM   #1

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42 QD

I'm looking at a slightly used 2015 Itasca Ellipse 42 QD with less than 6,000 miles. The dealer is asking $239,998. Not sure if this is firm or negotiable. Going to look at it tomorrow. Anyone have any first hand experience with this make or model. I believe it is made by Winnabego. Your comments good or bad will be greatly appreciated. I believe they sold new at MSRP around low 400's.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We looked at a new never used 2015 Ellipse 42 QD last spring that the manufacturer suggested $398,000 and the dealer had it at $272,000. So your price sounds good to me based on that alone, but I haven't checked out any other Ellipses after that so someone else may have seen an even better deal.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2014 which is the same as the 2015. The only major issue I have had is with the Aquahot system. The pumps it was made with were bad and all 4 have needed to be replaced. Minor issues the convection microwave is 50 degrees low on convection and have had 4 warranty service calls but was unable to fix. The blower in the fireplace did not work and manufacturer sent a replacement under warranty. The 4.5 inch LED ceiling lights are failing one by one the manufacturer sent me replacements. Check the coaches in service date for warranty proposes. Winnebago will not fix any issues out of warranty. Make sure all needed services have be done.

The biggest thing I would have checked before you buy it is the coach batteries. Make the seller test and replace any battery that is not up to par. If it was me I would have them replace all batteries if any check bad. This is an all electric coach and the house batteries are very important.

If you decide to purchase the coach allow at least 2 whole days for a pre delivery check off all systems and make the sell fix everything they can before you leave. Start from the back and CHECK EVERYTHING. Check the bed tilt unit it is very prone to malfunction. Make sure the bed holds pressure on both sides. Make sure you understand how all systems work take notes. If you need work done that the seller can't do I recommend going to the factory in Iowa or the new service center in Oregon.

We have been in our coach full time for over 18 months and 8000 miles. We love it and believe it is one of the best floor plans in a 42 foot coach. We would purchase the same coach again. I could go on and on but the best thing I can recommend is check everything and understand it.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
I have a 2014 which is the same as the 2015. The only major issue I have had is with the Aquahot system. The pumps it was made with were bad and all 4 have needed to be replaced. Minor issues the convection microwave is 50 degrees low on convection and have had 4 warranty service calls but was unable to fix. The blower in the fireplace did not work and manufacturer sent a replacement under warranty. The 4.5 inch LED ceiling lights are failing one by one the manufacturer sent me replacements. Check the coaches in service date for warranty proposes. Winnebago will not fix any issues out of warranty. Make sure all needed services have be done.

The biggest thing I would have checked before you buy it is the coach batteries. Make the seller test and replace any battery that is not up to par. If it was me I would have them replace all batteries if any check bad. This is an all electric coach and the house batteries are very important.

If you decide to purchase the coach allow at least 2 whole days for a pre delivery check off all systems and make the sell fix everything they can before you leave. Start from the back and CHECK EVERYTHING. Check the bed tilt unit it is very prone to malfunction. Make sure the bed holds pressure on both sides. Make sure you understand how all systems work take notes. If you need work done that the seller can't do I recommend going to the factory in Iowa or the new service center in Oregon.

We have been in our coach full time for over 18 months and 8000 miles. We love it and believe it is one of the best floor plans in a 42 foot coach. We would purchase the same coach again. I could go on and on but the best thing I can recommend is check everything and understand it.
I agree 1000% except it "It IS Out of Warranty" So you may want to invest in an extended one. For at least the first year while you give ti a good going over.

As Ron Postma said, check out every thing, twice. If you have to make a deal, on paper, with the selling dealer to allow you take it camping for at least a week and check out every system that is installed. You know the generator, the gen auto start feature, the TV's from every source, all of the water systems, heating systems and AC's. Yes its cold out but you can heat the place up and then turn on all the AC's on both Shore power and on the genny. Fill all the tanks and make sure they indicate properly and empty properly. Check or have the engine and tranny systems checked out, get records of when they were last changed, if they don't have them then ding them on the price because you will have to put out 3 bones or more to get them done.
Oh and here is one most forget, take a look at the DOT date on the tires. They were most likely made in 2014 which now puts them at 3 years old so you will be buying 8 new tires about 3 - 4 years. If they are older than that then watch out.

Remember test, inspect, document and get it all in writing, but most of all enjoy it as soon as you can and keep it on the road as much as possible. The more you use it, the more you get your monies worth from it.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:51 AM   #5

We have a 2015 Ellipse and love it. We are full-timers and have been in it since April of 2015. I will agree the Aqua Hot needs to be checked. All of our pumps have been replaced and still do not have continuous hot water. The serial number will have a T1 or a T2 in it. We have the T2 in our serial number and it has many of the upgrades that are in the 2016s. The price seems reasonable. Our MSRP was just short of 409k and paid 292K and change. It drives well and is a great floor plan for us. Do your homework and if they will tell you the previous own, a call to them would be a good thing to do.
Lon
RETE8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:02 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've been FT for 2 years and about 20K miles - after working out the typical start-up bugs we've been very pleased with our QD.

Strongly support comments re: batteries - a sitting, slightly used unit means a good chance batteries have been depleted below 50% SOC a number of times. Ditto for AH pumps - the company has been somewhat good about replacing out-of-warranty though you may have to pay labor.

Negotiate for a full fluids, filters and lube job - engine, generator, AH and chassis. You could also negotiate with the dealer for something like a '6 month as new' - they can do anything they choose regarding covering stuff that goes wrong.

You'll love the ability of this coach to cruise and climb - we've been up and down 10% grades and up to 13K with comfort and ease. Our toad is a Jeep GC with Blue Ox and I don't know its back there. Definitely - once loaded with your stuff get a 4-corner weight for the rig and set the tire pressures - and then back that up with a TPMS.

Keep the questions coming - glad to help ...

Tags
itasca