Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2015 Itasca Solei 34T

I am looking at an Itasca Solei 34T. Does anyone have time in one? If so what is your opinion of the MH?

Thanks,
SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I don't have one, but gave it a serious look over. One thing that swayed me away from it is the potentially low towing capacity. If you are near the 26K GVWR, then you only have a 4K tow limit. This is based on the 30K GCWR and the Allison 2100 transmission.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubVet View Post
I am looking at an Itasca Solei 34T. Does anyone have time in one? If so what is your opinion of the MH?

Thanks,
:welcome:
Can't comment in depth on new Winnie's, but from our shopping they are good RV's with a good price point. Too bad they don't make a Class A Toy Hauler

Thank you for your service!

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the comments. I am waiting for a response from Winnebago on what the Dry Weight from the factory is. I know that the max cargo is 3900 and change. That includes the tongue weight for the toad, mine would be a Ford Escape on a dolly. So there will be a little penalty there.

We will see, thanks again.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Just got the response from the Winnebago Factory rep. The out the door Factory weight on the Solei 34T is 20,919. So using the numbers published by them.

Dry weight 21,000 or thereabouts.
Max add 4,000 fuel, water, people stuff.
Toad 4,000 Ford Escape/Dolly.

Looking at 29,000 lbs fully loaded with Fuel, Water, Black, Grey, Propane, Crap in the Basement etc.

Gives a 1 K cushion. So it is doable.

If there is anyone who owns one and can give me insight that would be nice.

Thanks,
Old 08-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I would research Schwintek Slides mechanisms it they use theses walk away, many problems.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks unfortunately most are using the Schwintek, or going to something else that Lippert makes. So it is a crapshoot.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Just a note about Schwintek slide drives...

In late 2014, these drive system were improved with hardened metal in the drive gear and shafts, and some had a higher drive gear ratios in the motor gear box (slows the slide movement, but gives the motor improved leverage).

So...if buying new, there should be less worry for breakages than we have seen reported in the 2012-2013 models.

Having said that, I would still worry about a 2 track Schwintek system on any slide over about 10' long. Lippert is selling a triple track system for larger slides (twin tracks on the top of the slide room wall).
http://lci1.com/in-wall-slide-out

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have the Forza 34T and love it. Biggest problem is the latches and holding rod for the "hood" in front are glued to the fiberglass and have fallen off. We have over 5K miles on it so far and have not had any real problems with the slides. We are concerned and had thought that we had the newer slides on ours but don't. There is a blog here that shows the differences. Be sure yours have the new ones.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the information. Good information to have in reserve. I am concerned about the slides and I am concerned about the LED lights. Seems that there is a systemic problem with the lighting also.

Thanks again,
Old 08-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We have one and love it. There is a very helpful Facebook page for Forza/Soliel owners and shoppers.

Once you find it you can ask permission to join the group.
RVLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:53 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We've been full-timing in one since Feb 2014. If I had to do it over, we'd still have our fifth wheel.

Make sure windshield is caulked. Make sure storage bays don't leak when driving in rain. Our Whirlpool appliances have been solid so far. The factory installed Winegard Travler has performed flawlessly. No issues with our slides (yet). No issues with our jacks (yet). AC's do an adequate job of cooling when in hot climate.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny1763 View Post
We've been full-timing in one since Feb 2014. If I had to do it over, we'd still have our fifth wheel.

Make sure windshield is caulked. Make sure storage bays don't leak when driving in rain. Our Whirlpool appliances have been solid so far. The factory installed Winegard Travler has performed flawlessly. No issues with our slides (yet). No issues with our jacks (yet). AC's do an adequate job of cooling when in hot climate.
I dont mean to hijack this post. Some useful information here though.
Lanny,

I too have a 2015 unlimited wrangler rubicon package and I am interested in the forza/solei 34T. I noticed the wrangler is right at the limit for the towing capacity of the MH. Have you had any problems towing your jeep? And why would you go back to your 5th wheel, just curious.

-James
jimmy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:53 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

James:

No problems at all towing the Jeep, MH does just fine. Only minor problem we have encountered with the Jeep is when we unhitch, I sometimes have to roll Jeep forward or backward some to get transfer case to go back into 2H. Other than that it tows like a dream.

I too don't want to hijack the post either. Our fulltiming has us going somewhere and staying put for a month or longer, so a FW just makes more sense. Also, a FW is more spacious inside than the floorplan of the 34T. We had a FW before and thought we would we be happier in a MH. We were wrong! Also, I'm more comfortable driving a truck/FW combo than this MH.

If you are considering the Forza/Solei MHs, look at the larger floorplans 36G or 38R.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Well, I spoke too soon on no slide problems. Took a trip up to the mountains this past weekend and the large passenger's slide didn't retract the front bottom all the way. Also gives out the dreaded 1-6 error code. Called both Winnebago and Lippert support. They both say to take it to an authorized repair shop and it will be handled under warranty. Winne support even said that they know about the slide problems from 2014 and think that they are fixed for builds late last year (mine was built last August).

Local shop (best around by far!) says they are booking November repairs. Next closest says October. Two others two hours away say September. But found one four hours away that will take us in next week. Called Winnebago Support and asked them if they knew if that repair shop was any good and they said they should be fine. We'll see.

September is my favorite month in Colorado and I don't want my new coach sitting in the shop and me sitting at home!

Moral of the story, I still love the 34T (right size for us, but we are not full-timing), but be SURE you have the latest slides!
Old 09-01-2015, 04:12 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Good luck to all you folks with the Solei/Forza, the RVing God has smiled on us and allowed us to right our wrong decision to try to full time in a MH. We got approval today to trade in the MH and Toad for a new Fiver and tow vehicle. I hope you all enjoy your Winnebago/Itasca's and everything works out for you!

Take care and Semper Fi, I'll be leaving the MH forum now and going back to the FW forums where I belong.

Tags
itasca