Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2016 View Upgrades

I am strongly considering a 2016 View (just sold a 2007 SunSeeker). Love the size, quality, and gas mileage of the View.

Dealer options - pretty much everything except the generator - sticking with LP.

My question is what add-ons / other options should I consider? I am thinking of the following - would love feedback.

1. Valve extenders for the tires. Hated this with the SunSeeker. Is it also worth remote sensors?

2. Full cover. I park outside and the sun damage on the SunSeeker was obvious. Tire problems as well.

3. WiFi range extender? Cellular extender? Can you get both in one unit? Worth it?

4. I've read a lot about improved suspension / anti-roll bar. Thoughts on this? Do some prefer the stock setup? One of my best friends is a mechanic - can this be down without lifting the RV?

5. Anything else I am missing?

Intended use: Weekend trips - state parks. A couple of long drives (15 hours / 2 days) to visit the grandparents. One day trips as well - one of my sons has autism and it's great to have an option for my wife and I to take him back to a comfortable / known location while the other parent continues on with the other child. So running the AC / fridge / oven / microwave from a parking lot / generator. Makes me think of solar but I'm pretty sure the house batteries / LP will be good enough - again, would love thoughts.

Thanks! I appreciate all the expertise.
vman4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I've owned a 2007 Winnebago 31' class C, then a Newmar 33' class A, and this past July we traded in for a 2016 Winnebago/Itasca Navion 24J. We love it! It's so easy to drive, like driving a van rather than a motorhome. I did some extensive (and expensive) upgrades to the suspension on my class A just to make it safe to drive, but wth the Mercedes Sprinter chassis I don't feel the need for suspension upgrades. Yes, it rocks a bit going in or out of a driveway, but nothing major. It feels very sure-footed on the road.

We had a 100 watt solar panel installed as we did with the class A, since about half our camping is dry camping.

We also had "Dually Valves" installed on the rear wheels which makes checking air pressure a breeze. They were $120 plus installation for a total of about $200, but well worth it! Motorhome manufacturers should be required by law to provide easy access to tire valves.

Other than that we haven't felt a need for any other upgrades. Tire pressure monitoring system would be nice, perhaps someday we'll consider that.

Good luck, hope this info helps.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
this past July we traded in for a 2016 Winnebago/Itasca Navion 24J.
Yeah, we are looking to go with the J as well. My youngest son likes to sleep in the top bunk area. The bunk area is a lot smaller than on my SunSeeker - sometimes my wife will sleep up there with him. Do you think there is enough room for 2 in the top bunk? I'm a little concerned someone will roll out / off of there.

Many thanks for the response - I'm very glad to hear that the suspension is not a 'must have upgrade'.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We had a 2014 24V-put 36K miles on it in 23 months.

Factory Suspension was fine, for us. I do not run with Hubcaps nor do I trust valve extensions. I checked the tire air pressure before every trip, for a while-then just every now & then, because there was no air leakage.

You have to get the dual air check down, it takes a good angled-but small air gauge. But, really easier to do than you might think once you get a little experience.

We use an ATT Unite hot spot, then the IPHONE-for a hot spot -Both worked.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Keep in mind "Dually Valves" are not like the braided extensions. They are metal valve stems which are longer and shaped to allow easy access, and installed in the wheels to replace the stock valve stems.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman4639 View Post
Yeah, we are looking to go with the J as well. My youngest son likes to sleep in the top bunk area. The bunk area is a lot smaller than on my SunSeeker - sometimes my wife will sleep up there with him. Do you think there is enough room for 2 in the top bunk? I'm a little concerned someone will roll out / off of there.
I also noted the top bunk is much smaller than a standard class C. I'm not sure if there would be room for an adult and a child. If you haven't already have your child and wife climb up there are give it a try.

We only use ours for storage when parked.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Well - we pulled the trigger on Saturday - got a new 2016 View 24J. Loving it so far. We did a tacky Christmas light tour last night for an easy first trip - going out to a State Park today.

Lots of really nice 'little things' that make this a big improvement for us.

Per this discussion - suspension seems perfectly fine for me. I'll continue to evaluate over time. Bunk area is plenty big enough for my son - not sure on sleeping 2 people up there comfortably but we are only traveling with 4 and have more than enough space.

Tags
upgrade