Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #1

2016 Winnebago 30j handling

I recently sold our 2007 23d Aspect. We are now looking at the 30J. Other than size the only thing I had a problem with the 23D was handling. The best way to explain how it handled is to refer to the Golden Oldie song "I'M A WANDERER" by Dion I believe. Needless to say after driving it a couple of hours I was exhausted. It had a mind of its own. I believe because of the short wheelbase and height it handled this way. By the way I tried many fixes which helped a little but not enough.

I am going to drive a 30J soon and was wondering what I could expect handling wise. I would appreciate any info from any veteran 30J owners.
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 10:49 PM   #2

We have a 2015 Cambria 30J with almost 6K on it now. Previously had a 05 Adventurer 35U and a 03 Minnie 31C

I feel that the handling on our 30J is much better than either previous rigs. Very little drift even when being passed by 18 wheelers, and it is not hard to put 300-350 miles in a day without being worn out.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:49 AM   #3

I've got 10,000 miles on my 2015 30J. There isn't enough bad with handling to spend the money, imho.

I don't like the shift pattern, but I don't dislike it enough to buy the 5star tune.

As to tail wag and wandering, it's so much better than I expected that I'm amazed at the owners who are putting all the shocks and sway bars on. But, I've driven this size trucks since I was a kid and this thing drives so much better than I am used to.
crh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #4

The 2016s have the 6 speed automatic which should help the shift points. And they do have the upgraded air shocks in the back that the Minnie Winnie and Spirit don't have. I am wondering if the J-Ride Jayco Cs have a better ride?
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:30 AM   #5

Winnebago 30j vs Jayco J-Ride

I have driven the 2015 Jayco Melbourne with Jride. It was impressive. It tracked well and did not get pushed by passing trucks. I probably would have bought it but the microwave location was bad and not much kitchen storage. I thought they would have changed it in 2016, but low and bold they dropped it from the line. I have not driven the Greyhawk which has Jride. The Greyhawk did not have the fit and finish the 29d had. It does have more room and numerous Floorplans. I will probably test drive it.

An update on my decision on the 30j. The ride I took was ok. Not a lot of steering feel though, some rear sway and push from passing vehicles. Inside fit and finish was very good. Inside and outside storage was adequate.Disappointed that you could not put a rear ladder on the RV because of rear door to storage and lack of surface to mount it on.
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago