Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-13-2016, 10:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2017 Sunova leaning badly by 4 inches

I posted this previous thread on what happened the first time the jacks went down on our new Sunova:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/1-da...ml#post3202016

Yesterday I saw the back of the coach was very uneven with the passenger side about 4 inches lower than the right side at the back. I climbed underneath and saw the leaf springs (towards the back) on the passenger side have gaps between them. On the drivers side the leaf sprigs are compressed tightly together with no gaps.

I am thinking in some way the jacks did something to the chassis before they failed.

Any ideas?
kwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It's not likely that the jacks did anything to the springs. What do the springs look like with the jacks retracted?
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
It's not likely that the jacks did anything to the springs. What do the springs look like with the jacks retracted?
Sorry I should have said that the leaning is with the jacks up, so the jacks are not causing the unevenness. I do wonder if they contributed to the problem when the detracted the first time, the RV shook a great deal before the jacks failed, and then the coach was uneven.

The springs have the gap in them I described in the original post.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

What you describe sounds like one or more of the leafs of the rear spring has broken right in the center above the axle. Same thing happened on a pickup I had once, didn't know it until the rear axle was taken off.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Sounds like something broke in the spring pack. I would take it to a Ford garage as soon as possible.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

If this is a 2017 rig, I would call the dealer before I drove it ANYWHERE and have them send out a tech on their dime. If this is a broken spring or anything to do with suspension, it could either be dangerous or further damage a new rig.
mtnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Just curious.

The hydraulic jacks on our MH are manually controlled. As far as i know, there is nothing, except my common sense, that would keep me from extending and really "tweaking" the chassis. I would bet that i could cause some problems, maybe damage, if for instance, i extended the left front and the rear right to maximum.

On auto leveling, will it keep trying to level no matter what? Or will a safety of some sort kick in and keep the jacks from twisting the chassis too much?
Old 08-14-2016, 05:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Sounds to me that kwilkins did just that. After reading his first post complaining that the jacks down alarm was making all sorts of noise while deploying (which is normal) and not being able to properly auto level it was suggested he try to manual level. After only having the coach for 1 day, with no experience in the proper operation of the leveling system, it seems he may have done a manual level and possibly twisted something.
One has to realize that the jacks only have so much stroke and may not be able to auto level if not parked on somewhat level ground to begin with without putting blocking under the jack pads. In doing so it is possible to lift the wheels off the ground which is dangerous. You never want to lift the rear wheels off the ground as this is the only axle that is held by the parking brake and the transmission in park.
Dealer should have been consulted upon first problem with auto level.

Just my 2 cents!
CFSUNRISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFSUNRISE View Post
Sounds to me that kwilkins did just that. After reading his first post complaining that the jacks down alarm was making all sorts of noise while deploying (which is normal) and not being able to properly auto level it was suggested he try to manual level. After only having the coach for 1 day, with no experience in the proper operation of the leveling system, it seems he may have done a manual level and possibly twisted something.
I can understand your reasoning on this, but the problem was not caused by manually leveling. I noticed the uneven pitch after the first attempt to auto level.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I think you need to review exactly what you did to level in a un-level situation and contact your dealer, Hope it is not CW, Something has happened on a new coach that you need to investigate before you do more damage!
Old 08-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

As another has stated, call the selling dealer and have them get someone there ASAP. Do not drive the coach until they determine it is safe and have them drive the coach so they take liability.
It sounds like FORD needs to be involved due to a suspension issue but let the selling dealer make that call and have them get it there on their dime. If you don't get help with this within a day or two call Winnebago and FORD directly and get hem involved ASAP. You don't want to have to pay for this out of your pocket because it will cost a lot.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I think you need to review exactly what you did to level in a un-level situation and contact your dealer, Hope it is not CW, Something has happened on a new coach that you need to investigate before you do more damage!

What is "CW" ?
Old 08-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
What is "CW" ?
Camping World. Have you checked the rear shackle on the leaf springs? They should look like the pic below. If a shackle bolt were broken or the spring broken right next to the shackle that could allow about a 4" drop in the motorhome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4463.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	136042  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
One has to realize that the jacks only have so much stroke and may not be able to auto level if not parked on somewhat level ground to begin with without putting blocking under the jack pads. In doing so it is possible to lift the wheels off the ground which is dangerous. You never want to lift the rear wheels off the ground as this is the only axle that is held by the parking brake and the transmission in park.
Dealer should have been consulted upon first problem with auto level.

Just my 2 cents!
There shouldn't be any problems twisting the frame when manual leveling as the jacks work in pairs to prevent that.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:59 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Camping world
Old 08-15-2016, 05:01 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
what is "cw" ?
camping world!
Old 08-16-2016, 07:24 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

The HWH jacks on my previous 03 Adventurer did work in pairs. The Power Gear jacks on my current coach deploy in pairs to level front to back. To level side to side they raise back corner and lower opposite front corner.

Not sure which jacks you have. Your manual should provide the proper method to manually level.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:55 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

What ever happened to the poster kwilkins ? I guess we will never know what his fix was concerning his jack/spring/leaning issue.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:41 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
What ever happened to the poster kwilkins ? I guess we will never know what his fix was concerning his jack/spring/leaning issue.
Sorry for the late update; we were camping in Cape Hatteras. The dealer send measurements to Winnebago and Winnebago said they were all within allowable tolerances. The measurements showed the coach does lean to the right; it still is. Winnebago said there is nothing structurally wrong and the issue is just cosmetic. We put about 800 miles on the RV this week and didn't have any issues with how it drove.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:52 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

What about the spring separation? Are the jacks working correctly?