Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2018, 11:45 PM   #1

2018 Vista 29VE Loud Thumping Noise??

I have a 2018 Winnebago vista 29ve with a full wall slide in it. And when we are driving over any little bumps we get a loud THUMPING noise coming from middle of the rv it also sounds like its right behind my head. We have check everything in side the rv and nothing in there that would be making this sound. So I'm just wondering if it might have something to do with the side out topper Like maybe the spring inside the tube. anyone have this problem and if so was there a fix.Thanks

New motorhome with so many things to be fixed in it after are first trial run!!!
MinnieSandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2018, 11:59 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Crawl underneath the MH and check the Sway bars and the hold down brackets for them. If you don't find anything have the service department take a ride with you and see what they think. You should still be under warranty aren't you?
Old 09-15-2018, 03:47 PM   #3

Make sure it is not coming from around the microwave area, Some of us had a problem with the fridge and awing area on the slide area. On your outside slide side get on a ladder and open the fridge area some of the metal was loose and banging as well as the awing tube. Gary 47 who has posts on this site did a great job explaining how to fix some of the issues with our 29VE s. His ideas really helped fix most noise being eliminated. If you have the loft bed be sure to check the rubber chains are correct ours was looped we had that corrected and that helped so much with the noise. Between the front of the loft bed get some foam rubber and cut into pieces put between the the areas of the walls that rub together. This really helped on rough roads. There are several posts on our 29's on this site. We really like our 29 but it had a few bugs and one big problem with jacks. Seems we have everything fixed at this point and if you are lucky enough to have a good service department(we didn't)take it in and get it fixed. Also contact Winnebago and ask them for help. They really were good with us better than the service department. Living in the west its really hard to get back to the factory in the winter. Wish they had a factory some where in the middle like Texas.
RonnTerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:47 PM   #4

Thumping sound

I am having a similar problem with my 2017 29VE. I took the unit to the Ford to have any potential problems mentioned within this site (sway bars, shock mounting bolts, etc.). The Ford dealer ruled those issues out. What I found (and the Ford dealer concurred) was an issue with the heat shield that is attached to the frame, above the muffler and extends back along with the exhaust pipe. I found that the front most heat shield was welded to the frame such that there is a drop at the leading edge. The front most heat shield has no support on its leading edge. In my case, on bumpy roads or when making a right turn in situations where the coach lurches left, I hear a popping sound. The Ford dealer and I agree that in this situation, when toenails is plied to the frame ina a certain direction, it causes the front most heat shield to emit an “oil canning” sound. I am taking the coach into the Winnebago dealer next week...I guess we’ll see. That said, however, i’m convinced this is the problem. While it did not make that sound when it was brand new (we bought it 10/17), as the coach was driven and the heat shield is subjected to prolonged periods of heat, then having the unit leveled at campsites, then allowed to cool, I am suggesting that ultimately the heat shield develops a “metal memory” over time that is resulting in that annoying and disconcerting “popping”or thumping sound. If you crawl under the RV, check the leading edge of the front most heat shield right over the muffler and see is there is a droop or bow. If there is, i’d bet $$ that’s your”s and my problem. I’ll keep you posted as to what my dealer says.
gschwob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:44 PM   #5

Thanks I will look into this. It sounds like its right behind my head when I'm driving
MinnieSandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise