RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #1

275/80 to 295/75 tires on 05 Vectra?

Anyone switched their setup this way? We will have to put tires on the rig next year and I like to do as much research as possible. Current tires are Michelin XZE2 275/80R22.5 which is the OE size for the rig. Looking at going to a 295/75R22.5 as are a more common size that provides more choices (like Toyos) and are more reasonably priced. I ask this question because the rear tires, especially the left rear, are already pretty close to the fender opening and if I can avoid doing damage to the fender or having to do bodywork would be ideal. Overall diameter is very similar, they are just wider by about 1/2" compared to the 275/80.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2019, 01:49 PM   #2

When I did the calculations, it appears that he 295's are .8" wider. I'd round up to 1 inch then divide that in half. Add the 1/2" to your existing tires and see if they will clear the fender. Actually I'd allow a bit more room for tire deflection. Also remember, tire size charts are not perfect. The actual tire may be larger or smaller than the chart information

LJowdy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaminoManT View Post
Anyone switched their setup this way? We will have to put tires on the rig next year and I like to do as much research as possible. Current tires are Michelin XZE2 275/80R22.5 which is the OE size for the rig. Looking at going to a 295/75R22.5 as are a more common size that provides more choices (like Toyos) and are more reasonably priced. I ask this question because the rear tires, especially the left rear, are already pretty close to the fender opening and if I can avoid doing damage to the fender or having to do bodywork would be ideal. Overall diameter is very similar, they are just wider by about 1/2" compared to the 275/80.

Thanks
I have an Itasca Ellipse (winnebago Tour) with tag. It came with Michelin XZA2's (8 of them). 295/80 r22.5. I can't complain. Beautiful tires. But at $600 a tire there must be something comparable out there. But it wasn't easy to find too many 295/80 r22.5's out there that met my price paramater. So I looked at 18 wheeler tires. And found some Iron Man 295/75 r22.5's. I'm not a tire expert but I reasoned that since I have Air suspension, and my rig Raises up 4-4 1/2 inches I have enough clearance for the 1.2" difference (295/80 and 295/75). When the rig is parked and off the clearance between the upper tire (tread) and the wheel housing (fender) is 2 1/2".
Also if you have any doubts you can always call Freightliner or whoever the maker of your chassis is.
If you find that the width will be an issue, I would look into some Truck tires (18 wheelers) like Hercules, Iron man, Cooper, power king, Samson, double coin. Uniroyal has good deals to. Just regulate the tire pressure for ride stiffness or softness. Since I have air ride suspension It wasn't really an issue to me. I love my 18 wheeler tires. LOL. Hope this helped a lil. Good luck.
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not a Vectra, but I made the swap on my 03 Ultimate several years ago. I have had no problems at all with the change. I am currently running Continental HSL2s. According to my notes 275/80R22.5 is very close in size, width, etc to 295/75R22.5 BUT the two sizes should not be run in a dual pair. 295/75R22.5 is 0.25% bigger in overall diameter and circumference than 275/80R22.5. Replacing 275/80R22.5 with 295/75R22.5 would raise the vehicle by 1.25mm (0.05 inches).

275/80
Dia - Width - Spacing - Wgt Spd
40.1 11.2 12.5 110 75

295/75
Dia - Width - Spacing Wgt Spd
41.3 11.8 13.2 126.3 75
Old 04-17-2019, 05:05 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 04 Horizon is on its 2nd set of the 295s. 1st were Bridgestones, they rode and wore great. I got a good deal on Toyos for the 2nd set in June.

They clear OK, be sure you park with the wheels straight and are aired up before turning the wheel.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:07 AM   #6

We have the same coach so let me share my experiences when it comes to new tires:

* Next to buying batteries, I don't like buying tires at all, but if you consider how much time you spend on the road, and the fact you will only buy one set in your lifetime, then I suggest you don't go cheap... and don't wait!

* My coach came with lots of good rubber, but the date codes were approaching 10 years.

* I had Goodyear 295-75-22.5 brand tires, but found they were stiff on the road. I also have one of those fancy $10,000 HWH "Active Air" systems, but even so the Michelin tires 275-80-22.5 were superior in every respect. ...BUT as I learned the hard way, not all Michelin's are created equal.

* My conclusion: Don't buy the Michelin RV tires or so called "Multi-Energy Z". These are inferior tires in my opinion and on my coach these tires caused a humming-road-noise right at 55-MPH that drove me crazy; and for the most part it did not matter what surface I was driving on.

* So I filed a Michelin claim (which you need to do), talked with the Michelin 800# office, never talked to the sales rep who the case was assigned to; and just like that the Portland Michelin dealer at Superior Tire took off all the Michelin RV tires and replaced them with the X-line Energy "STEER TIRE"...and what a world of difference!!!

These TRUCK "STEER" TIRES were quiet on the road, and now I glide down the road. These steer tires also grip the road better and feel safer on corners and any side-to-side action... so much so that you would swear you put on an different manufacture's tire.

* Don't compare Michelin tire quotes by contacting Les Schwab. They are Toyo dealers and will up-charge you ~$1,000 over the same Michelin tire you can get from an authorized Michelin dealer.

* Try to buy your tires in Oregon where you don't have sales tax. And shop around. Montana does not have sales tax, but were $700 more expensive than Portland, Oregon.

* I paid $3,850 out the door for new stems (and everything tire related) for the Michelin RV Multi-Energy Z 275-80-22.5 at Superior Tire in Portland, OR, but then Michelin Corporate authorized the dealer to put the X-Line Energy "Steer Tires" on my RV at no extra cost. My guess is that this would have added another $100/tire, but I can't say for sure.

* And all the other Michelin quotes I got in 4 other states were in the $5,000 range... due to the sales tax of 6-8%. (So save yourself ~$300 and get your tires in Oregon.)

* And I suppose I would try Toyo if they were at least $1,000 less, but they aren't.

So get happy. Get Michelin high quality steer tires and you love the hours and hours you drive down the highway. And after 3 months of driving on Michelin's steer tires you will not want to drive on anything else.

PS I did not find my miles/gal improved; so I wouldn't buy a tire that claims your will get 5-10% better fuel efficiency. This is bunk in the 30,000+ lb weight class.

PSS I am a big fan of adding those "Equal" tire balancing bags you put in the tire (10 oz) so you do not need to add tire weights. And if discuss this with the tire dealer, maybe they will drop their price $100 since they do not have to spend time balancing the tire. (Nah!)

Tags
tires