Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #15

Gary47p, how is your 29ve??
RonnTerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2017, 03:01 AM   #16

We just did one more trip in it of 4 days and so far so good. It handles pretty good and no major issues. The drawer locks are a bit weak holding closed the heavier drawers and had to replace two of the latches with heavier ones. The layout is great and space more than adequate for two of us and two dogs. Much better than the 26HE. I made some custom drip spouts for the roof drains but it hasn't rained for a long time here so don't know how effective they will be in reducing the drip stains. Took the tailgate package refrigerator out and mounted the grill and stand in the fridge spot. I also installed a Scangauge II which helps in watching engine temps. It's hard to just glance down and read the factory gauges when the glare is bad. Much easier with the scangauge. We have a local campground that just opened for the season. We might go there for a few days this week. I will take some pics and post them of the mods.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:44 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi all
This is our 3rd year rving. We first purchased a 25 foot Thor Vegas and began a quest to visit national parks with our granddaughter. We decided to trade the Vegas for our Winnebago Sunstar 29ve after 25,000 miles. We've taken one trip of 3,000 miles. Several issues had to be addressed upon our return. Hopefully, we are set for our trip to the California parks this summer. Overall, this is a good upgrade. A couple of questions - we have noticed a shadow on each headlight when we drive with lights on high beam. We prefer not to drive after dark but sometimes need to. We've been told it is due to the design of the headlights. Does anyone else have this issue? Also, we had a Safe T Bar Plus?? installed and are considering a rear sway bar. Has anyone done this?

Thanks,
Wes
Wes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:10 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
29VE experiences

We don't drive much at night, but when we do I have not noticed a shadow. I have always thought that given how small the lights are they work quite well.

I want to add a safe t plus to mine. Did it improve the constant steering correction?

Have you considered doing the chf? Cost is virtually zero and it really helps the handling.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:00 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Vista 29VE also and just love it. We have driven it a little at night and I don't remember any problems. I will pay attention next time and report back.

We have put a good 4-5K miles on the MH so far. I'm surprised that the only 110v receptacles that work on the inverter are the TV's and the ones inside the bedroom cubbyholes. I would be nice to have one in the galley too.

The only mods I've made are the addition of a TPMS, a LED light strip over the bathroom sink and a nice fabric shower curtain across the "passage way" at the thermostat area. This gives a little more privacy for the grandkids when someone gets up to use the restroom.

I will have a Safe-T-Steer unit installed at the their factory on June 5th. I only live a couple of hours away and they will install it for free. After that I will see if I need to do the CHF.

The outdoor kitchen sold me on this model as I had one on our travel trailer. I just love cooking outdoors and it is so convenient.

The next big item on my list is to rig my 2 door Jeep Rubicon as a Toad. I'm researching tow bars and braking systems. So far, the Ready Brute Elite is my favorite as it is all in one and simple (after running the cables).

Smooth sailing....

Patrick
Bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:41 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Larry and Patrick,
Thanks for the replies. We purchased the 29ve at the Hershey RV Show last fall and then waited several months for it to be built. By then it was winter so while in storage at the dealership we had them install the safe T plus. Adding this to our previous Rv did make a significant difference. When I asked, I was told it would benefit the handling of our new rv. I believe it has. Neither my husband or I are mechanical so need to rely on others. We have no skills to do the CHF.

Headlights ..... each light creates a mountain shaped shadow ten to fifteen feet in front of us. I guess I need to call Winnebago and ask.

Happy travels all and thank you to any veterans today!
Wes
Wes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:56 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks! Hope you enjoy your Vista as much as we do. If your ever down around South Carolina give send me a message, we might be able to meet up and compare VE notes!

Oh.. I did have a small problem with the water pump surging when in use. Thanks to this forum and YouTube, I was able to fix it. So if your water pump acts up PM me.

And someday I will tell you about my de-wintering the rig, thinking the winter was over. Well, we left town for a few weeks and low and behold we had sub freezing temperatures for a few days. I thought sure I was going to return to some broken/leaking fittings. I was saved by leaving the furnace at its lowest setting and that was enough to keep everything from freezing. That will not happen next year!

Take care,

Patrick
Bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
We took our 29ve out this weekend and there was a few things that needed to be taken care of, but after that we had an enjoyable time. We are looking forward to the next time we take her out.
Robleves0143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
After 9 years of owning TTs, we just took possession of our new 2018 29VE at the end of May. We immediately took it to Door County for a week.
Pros: Love the layout. Love the look. Love the storage.
Cons: White knuckled driving whenever there was wind or a semi. Not much room to walk around the far side of the bed.

Issues thus far: 1st night, couldn't get hot water. After posting to the Vista owners Facebook page, found the oblong-shaped dial that needed to be turned under the kitchen sink (very cleverly hidden behind an access panel). That resulted in hot water when hooked up to the city connection, but now we can't get the tank to fill. Will need to check the dials near the pump located under the bed in the master bedroom next.

Have any of you installed a TruCenter in your 29VE? How about a track bar and sway control? Love it? Worth it?
Sal3401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
29VE experiences

Check out the cheap handling fix, get the front end aligned and get the tire pressure set properly. I did this things to mine and it is like night and day! No more white knuckles. I am going to add a safe-t-plus and I think I will be all set. Others have added a rear track bar with good results as well. For me, the alignment was the most dramatic improvement, followed by the chf.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal3401 View Post
Have any of you installed a TruCenter in your 29VE? How about a track bar and sway control? Love it? Worth it?
I have a 31BE, very similar to the 29VE, similar issues with handling when I first got it.

I added a rear track bar first, it helped with semis passing and wander. Then did CHF, helped just as much. Just increased toe in helped just as much again, now it tracks straight with minimal semi push.

If I did it over again, first thing I would do is get it aligned to get the right toe and also balanced, I had noticeable vibration at highway speed that was solved by that.

After that I would do the CHF.

After that a track bar if necessary.

After that a steering stabilizer if necessary. Not sure about a trucenter though, I like the trim ability, but have seen many reports of the solenoid failing over time and its the most expensive. Would probably do a safe-t-plus, simpler and cheaper with good reputation but need to centered properly since it doesn't have trim.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #26

Hello Folks!
As a long time RV'er who joined this forum years ago, we've done the full monty, from tent, bigger tent, small tagger, bigger tagger, then 5th wheel 2011, we take delivery of a new 2018 29VE this Friday. I am posting to thank folks for posting about the Safe-T-Plus.
During the 29VE test drive two weekends ago, my bride assumed the helm first, as it is tantamount that she be comfortable driving the rig. While OK with it, she expressed concern at the tracking and sensitivity of the steering. In the cockpit, I noticed it a bit. Nothing that would otherwise cause ME concern. But I am used to towing.
On another forum, I learned that an alignment is a must, and THAT is getting taken care of pre-delivery. And armed with the information concerning the STP, I alerted our sales rep to get this piece installed. Now the question ....
What SHOULD this cost?
TIA for your responses!
And SO looking forward to auto-levelers!

Bud

'02 Ford F350 PSD CC SB 4x4 SRW Lariat
*Virginia Budman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Bud,
We got ours aligned before delivery, but alignment when empty is different than alignment when you move in.
We are having the alignment checked again this Monday.
I typically do the driving, but when DW tried, it was very, very uncomfortable for her. I'm looking forward to figuring it out a solution that will help her feel OK to drive.
Sal3401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:35 PM   #28

Well thank ya, Sal. Gotta say, she hopped into the cockpit before I did for the test ride as it represented the game changer. She was good with the 'feel', but questioned the excessive responsiveness to the wheel. I get that, as i too had some getting used to. Certain there is a learning curve. Guessing the Safe-T-plus deal may prove favorable. We'll see.

'02 Ford F350 PSD CC SB 4x4 SRW Lariat
*Virginia Budman* is offline   Reply With Quote