Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question 3 Rail Power Gear Slide

I have a 2008 Itasca Latitude 39W on the Workhorse R26 UFO chassis. The full length slide on the curb side is operated with the Power Gear 3 rail mechanism. 2 motors, one on each outer rail.
The lower left corner of the slide does not retract fully against the side of the coach by about 1" The top is good and the right side is fully retracted.
I have searched everywhere for instructions on how to make adjustments. I was able to find info on a 2 rail, but it is not the same. I have contacted Winnebago and waiting for a reply.
Anyone with info on adjusting?
Thanks....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I'm not familiar with this side at all, but if the top corner of the "bad side" is fully in against the wall but not the bottom, that side of the slide is maybe angled in towards the RV's wall. A possible cause could be the roller(S)(or nylon skid block) supporting that side of the slide is to too low compared to the other supports along the length of the slide. If so, probable adjustable by shimming or some other adjustment.
Maybe with the slide a few inches open, measure the slide top and bottom distances from the RV's wall, and at both ends of the slide as well , to see if the distance are the same or equal. Just a thought the problem may not be with the motors/mechanism, but un-even slide positioning. I hope Winnebago has an answer or suggestion. Good luck.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my 3-rail system with motors on the outside rails there are 3 options for some adjustment:
1. Extend the slide fully and hold the extend switch for 5 - 6 seconds after the slide stops moving - then retract and hold switches again. May need to repeat. Do not do this if there's unusual noise or binding of the slide or rams.
2. Manually disengage the motors and use a 3/4 inch ratchet on the motor gears to extend the side of the slide that is closed and flush to equal the open side. Once equal - use the ratchets on both motor gears simultaneously (takes 2 people) to fully close the slide - reconnect the motors and proceed with step 1.
3. Take it to a knowledgeable service tech.

These instructions are included in my manuals - if you have the same/similar instructions I encourage you to attempt the fix. If you don't - wait and see what WBGO says.

Let us know what results - we all learn ...
Old 11-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
On my 3-rail system with motors on the outside rails there are 3 options for some adjustment:
1. Extend the slide fully and hold the extend switch for 5 - 6 seconds after the slide stops moving - then retract and hold switches again. May need to repeat. Do not do this if there's unusual noise or binding of the slide or rams.
2. Manually disengage the motors and use a 3/4 inch ratchet on the motor gears to extend the side of the slide that is closed and flush to equal the open side. Once equal - use the ratchets on both motor gears simultaneously (takes 2 people) to fully close the slide - reconnect the motors and proceed with step 1.
3. Take it to a knowledgeable service tech.

These instructions are included in my manuals - if you have the same/similar instructions I encourage you to attempt the fix. If you don't - wait and see what WBGO says.

Let us know what results - we all learn ...
This was good info. Lv2Roam2 Thank you. I do not have a manual.
Anyway I performed step 1 several times.
Oh boy! I am in trouble. Now the total left side will not retract by 3" to the side of the coach. It is cold here up in Ontario Canada. No fun after winterizing the coach.
In step 2 what do you mean by manually disengage the motors? How? I am very mechanically minded and perform most repairs on my coach, been RV'ing for 37 years. Thanks for your help...
Old 11-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the slide is now evenly extended 3" there may still be hope. In the morning let me see if I can send you some pictures of my motors and the rubber boot that holds/covers the 'gear disengagement lever.'

Once that lever is rotated you put the socket over the motor gear and crank a stroke at a time. So...hopefully pictures and more instructions in the morning...
Old 11-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
May have a good resource for you:

Google 'Winnebago Industries Operator Manuals' -- from the results page click on one of the same title -- choose the manual for the 2015 Itasca Ellipse -- go to section 10 / page 10-9 and read about the 'Slideout Emergency Retraction' (and other stuff about the Power Gear system)

With the printed directions and photos it should make your task easier. Even better, if you can find your coach's manual you'll have even better instructions.

Let me know how this works for you - I had the pleasure of using this process when our coach was less than a month old - what a joy!

Remember! Any noise or binding - stop!
Old 11-12-2017, 10:24 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
May have a good resource for you:

Google 'Winnebago Industries Operator Manuals' -- from the results page click on one of the same title -- choose the manual for the 2015 Itasca Ellipse -- go to section 10 / page 10-9 and read about the 'Slideout Emergency Retraction' (and other stuff about the Power Gear system)

With the printed directions and photos it should make your task easier. Even better, if you can find your coach's manual you'll have even better instructions.

Let me know how this works for you - I had the pleasure of using this process when our coach was less than a month old - what a joy!

Remember! Any noise or binding - stop!
Thank you, thank you. The manual was on your link for my coach with full details and pictures. This will surely help me.
Thank you again.... and thanks for your time...
Old 11-13-2017, 01:01 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thumbs up Slide Now 100%

The slide is now 100% operational. Both ends are sealed against the side of coach. I did not have to use the manual crank at each motor.
Per the manual information I reset the system until both lights flashed. Then holding down extend and retract buttons it synchronised.
Thanks again to Lv2Roam2 for getting me here.

Tags
power, power gear, slide