Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2007, 05:54 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Well I spent pretty much all Saturday and Sunday working on the motor home - not complaining one bit though.

1) I installed a Cyclone vent for the black tank, which seems to work fine if nothing else watching it spin around is entertaining while on the roof.

2) Installed a Tornado black tank flusher. The Tornado was a PITA. On the 35J there is only one way to get to the black tank and that's removing the panels for the QuickPort connections. Ended up needing to loosen a lot more things to get those two panels off then I wanted to since they were installed first. The black tank really doesn't have a great place for a tank sprayer - if it was installed before the tank was put in it would be better. The tank itself stretches nearly from side to side of the RV - good for balance but not as good for flushing. I ended up mounting it on the end, bit close to the dump but at least it will help flush things down the drain and its better then nothing. (Photos at the end)

3) The top of the entrance handle by the door was coming loose and I tried several things to get it to really bite in place. Seems the screws would push anything out of the way, tried tooth pics, etc. and nothing worked. So I'll call the dealer and let them fix it under warranty - enough was enough on that.

4) We're also in the process of making our own front window shades to go on the outside of the RV. I always called my Dad cheap, he said he was thirty and I guess I have the same gene - why spend over $200 when I (think) we can make our own for much less. I got all the fabric and materials gathered and my wife is going to sew them and we'll fit them next weekend. Total cost invested so far is about $40, hopefully they will look good when we're done. I don't expect them to look as good as the $200 ones but as long as they work I'll keep my $160.

5) Also finished making a portable wood step for those times our site isn't level and we end up with a big 1st step. Just used pine boards and some 2x2 to reinforce and stabalize it. Added 4 screw in feet to allow me to adjust it. Varnish and then some non-skid tape.

6) Finished our our awning sun screen project by adding the grommets at the bottom and at the top corners. Used some beige sun screen fabric we bought at Lowe's and ran some plastic clothes line cord so it will stay in the awning and added some grommets and we're good to go. Total cost on that was about $25

7) The biggest part of the weekend was spent giving it a really good bath and then waxing. Even typing is hard now! I opted to use Nu Finish and do it by hand. That maybe the last time I ever want to wax a 35' motor home. I also got up on the roof and scrubbed it real good. The caulking was nasty almost black. I got it cleaned up a bit. After dancing around on the roof I decided not to wax the roof, I want to finish that but I had enough fun for the weekend. Finally I Rain-X'd the front windows. The whole thing looked really sharp when I was done.

Count down is on for our two week trip to Utah at the end of the month.

View of the black tank, Tornado installed right in the center of the pic.

Everything back together. Mounted the inlet for the black tank sprayer below the shower head.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2007, 05:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Well I spent pretty much all Saturday and Sunday working on the motor home - not complaining one bit though.

1) I installed a Cyclone vent for the black tank, which seems to work fine if nothing else watching it spin around is entertaining while on the roof.

2) Installed a Tornado black tank flusher. The Tornado was a PITA. On the 35J there is only one way to get to the black tank and that's removing the panels for the QuickPort connections. Ended up needing to loosen a lot more things to get those two panels off then I wanted to since they were installed first. The black tank really doesn't have a great place for a tank sprayer - if it was installed before the tank was put in it would be better. The tank itself stretches nearly from side to side of the RV - good for balance but not as good for flushing. I ended up mounting it on the end, bit close to the dump but at least it will help flush things down the drain and its better then nothing. (Photos at the end)

3) The top of the entrance handle by the door was coming loose and I tried several things to get it to really bite in place. Seems the screws would push anything out of the way, tried tooth pics, etc. and nothing worked. So I'll call the dealer and let them fix it under warranty - enough was enough on that.

4) We're also in the process of making our own front window shades to go on the outside of the RV. I always called my Dad cheap, he said he was thirty and I guess I have the same gene - why spend over $200 when I (think) we can make our own for much less. I got all the fabric and materials gathered and my wife is going to sew them and we'll fit them next weekend. Total cost invested so far is about $40, hopefully they will look good when we're done. I don't expect them to look as good as the $200 ones but as long as they work I'll keep my $160.

5) Also finished making a portable wood step for those times our site isn't level and we end up with a big 1st step. Just used pine boards and some 2x2 to reinforce and stabalize it. Added 4 screw in feet to allow me to adjust it. Varnish and then some non-skid tape.

6) Finished our our awning sun screen project by adding the grommets at the bottom and at the top corners. Used some beige sun screen fabric we bought at Lowe's and ran some plastic clothes line cord so it will stay in the awning and added some grommets and we're good to go. Total cost on that was about $25

7) The biggest part of the weekend was spent giving it a really good bath and then waxing. Even typing is hard now! I opted to use Nu Finish and do it by hand. That maybe the last time I ever want to wax a 35' motor home. I also got up on the roof and scrubbed it real good. The caulking was nasty almost black. I got it cleaned up a bit. After dancing around on the roof I decided not to wax the roof, I want to finish that but I had enough fun for the weekend. Finally I Rain-X'd the front windows. The whole thing looked really sharp when I was done.

Count down is on for our two week trip to Utah at the end of the month.

View of the black tank, Tornado installed right in the center of the pic.

Everything back together. Mounted the inlet for the black tank sprayer below the shower head.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote