Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2016, 02:57 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
38Q Gray Tank Problem

Always a challenge....my 2014 Itasca 38Q gray water only fills the gray tank located under the lavatories and not the second tank which is located forward and a little higher from the lav tank under the galley. When the lav tank fills and the shower floods the galley sinks burp and exhaust air but I show empty readings on the gray tank monitors. The monitors are located on the tank under the galley. In addition, I can flood the galley sinks and have standing water in the sinks without the shower flooding [even though the shower is lower] and I still don't get a gray tank level reading. Both gray tank vents are unobstructed clear.

Has anybody had a similar issue or anything close to this situation? Thanks in advance to anybody that response.
drivinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #2

You have 2 grey tanks......
Grey for bathroom sink & shower
Grey *galley for kitchen sink

Separate tanks not connected except at dump line

Tank level monitoring if faulty...either bad sensors, dirty sensors, bad wiring etc.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
drivinon ,the tanks are connected at the drain pipe before the dump valve. The shower and shower sink connect to the back tank. The stool sink and kitchen sink connect to the front tank. Did you check and make sure the vent pipes are not to long and sealing against the pipe top cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38Q Drain Tanks bottom view.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	122304   Click image for larger version

Name:	38Q Drain Tanks side view.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	122305  

grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
drivinon, can you see the section of the front vent pipe that is under the floor. Check that the elbow has not dropped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38Q Drain Tanks pass side view.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	122342  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:36 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Just saw the second thumbnail. Understand your comment and will attempt to view the elbow if I can find access. Thanks again for your thoughts.
drivinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:33 AM   #6

On my coach, the front Gray tank (12 gallons) is for the kitchen only, about same elevation but with no connection to the rear Gray tank (63 gallons), which is for bathroom shower and sink.

They do share a common manifold at the dump valves. If I wanted the rear gray tank to overfill, and backup into the front gray tank, (or vica-versa) I would need to add an additional dump valve where the end cap is now, then simply leave both gray tank dump valves open, and let the liquid seek its level through the manifold.

But the only time I see this as any sort of advantage, would be during boon docking times where the front tank fills up too fast. But we can control that with how we do the dishes.

Tags
gray tank, tank