RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2019, 09:00 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
39W Destination Generator nightmare

I have a onan 6000 quiet diesel in my 2008 winne. Destination 39W diesel.
When I go to start the gen, all I get is a "click" This has been going on off and on for some time now, but sometimes it will start and run. I just replaced the house batteries and that didn't solve the problem. To me it acts as a bad solenoid, or bad ground.
The gen is all enclosed and impossible to check the solenoid or starter for connections and don't no where they are located anyway and onan tech.support is no help.

Looking for any feedback that may help.

scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #2

Clicking when staring is probably a loose connection or corrosion

Old 07-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataska View Post
Clicking when staring is probably a loose connection or corrosion
I have cleaned all bat.connections and new battery's.
Only place I can think of is the solenoid, and I can't get to that.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:54 PM   #4

Or starter connection
Old 07-17-2019, 08:35 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Bob, I don't have an Onan 6000 diesel, but I did find an annotated picture of one online and it appears that the B+ connection to the unit "should" be accessible. If so, you could at least verify that the trouble is within the (non-accessible part) of the generator itself with a "quick and dirty" test.

Suggestion: Assuming you can safely connect an automotive jumper cable to the B+ terminal there at the left side of the generator, pull your car/truck close by and connect its positive battery post to that B+ terminal with a jumper cable. Then connect the negative terminal of your car battery to a good conductive spot on the generator itself (NOT the RV frame.) Then hit the local start button. If no joy, it will be time to drop the generator from your description of the lack of accessibility to the starter solenoid (or much of anything else.) Hate to hear that.

If the above approach is not feasible, it is probably time to get the voltmeter out and measure the voltage there at the generator's B+ terminal while (attempting) to crank the genny ………. to verify the 12 volt supply doesn't drop significantly (or disappear.)

No guarantee, but if the ground for your genny is set up like mine it's pretty robust and uses "star lock" type lock washers to "bite into" metal ……. pretty fool proof. Still, a separate "test" ground from the generator body to the RV frame would be a good idea for the testing with a voltmeter…….ya never know.

I learned of the "jumper cable thing" on this forum a long time ago. It was for trouble shooting a 4K Onan gas, but the cranking part of the diesel should work the same way methinks. If not, someone will comment, hopefully.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Good luck with a fix …… and safe travels.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:25 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
Bob, I don't have an Onan 6000 diesel, but I did find an annotated picture of one online and it appears that the B+ connection to the unit "should" be accessible. If so, you could at least verify that the trouble is within the (non-accessible part) of the generator itself with a "quick and dirty" test.

Suggestion: Assuming you can safely connect an automotive jumper cable to the B+ terminal there at the left side of the generator, pull your car/truck close by and connect its positive battery post to that B+ terminal with a jumper cable. Then connect the negative terminal of your car battery to a good conductive spot on the generator itself (NOT the RV frame.) Then hit the local start button. If no joy, it will be time to drop the generator from your description of the lack of accessibility to the starter solenoid (or much of anything else.) Hate to hear that.

If the above approach is not feasible, it is probably time to get the voltmeter out and measure the voltage there at the generator's B+ terminal while (attempting) to crank the genny ………. to verify the 12 volt supply doesn't drop significantly (or disappear.)

No guarantee, but if the ground for your genny is set up like mine it's pretty robust and uses "star lock" type lock washers to "bite into" metal ……. pretty fool proof. Still, a separate "test" ground from the generator body to the RV frame would be a good idea for the testing with a voltmeter…….ya never know.

I learned of the "jumper cable thing" on this forum a long time ago. It was for trouble shooting a 4K Onan gas, but the cranking part of the diesel should work the same way methinks. If not, someone will comment, hopefully.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Good luck with a fix …… and safe travels.
Thanks for the info, will try the jumper trick. I did notice that the radio dips when I go to start the gen, and just put new bats in yesterday..
Old 07-18-2019, 07:51 AM   #7

You should call Winnebago, they are very helpful.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
You should call Winnebago, they are very helpful.
^^^This.

I've noticed a reluctance to contact manufacturers. Maybe that's because we've become accustomed to lousy or non-existent support or because we don't know that we can do that.

I doubt Winnie will have a direct, simple, and complete answer but they'll be able to direct owners to the most likely sources of their problem.

That said, I agree that the first things to check are the DC grounding and starter wires, and any interconnections those wires make (batteries, etc).

Onan has exploded diagrams of their products available on line, complete with part numbers. While Onan isn't a great help with more general problems they've been good with assistance once you narrow down the possible causes to a couple of parts.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
^^^This.

I've noticed a reluctance to contact manufacturers. Maybe that's because we've become accustomed to lousy or non-existent support or because we don't know that we can do that.

I doubt Winnie will have a direct, simple, and complete answer but they'll be able to direct owners to the most likely sources of their problem.

That said, I agree that the first things to check are the DC grounding and starter wires, and any interconnections those wires make (batteries, etc).

Onan has exploded diagrams of their products available on line, complete with part numbers. While Onan isn't a great help with more general problems they've been good with assistance once you narrow down the possible causes to a couple of parts.
I have with no diagrams available..
Old 07-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
I have with no diagrams available..

Cummins-Onan or Winnie? I expect that Winnie can help with diagrams of all the wiring they installed in building the coach, but won't have diagrams for purchased sub-assemblies. With the model & serial you should be able to sign up with Cummins on line service to access diagrams, manuals, etc.

Good luck, Bob, and let us know how it sorts out.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I got it started today after speaking with Cummings yesterday they said to take all the load off of the motor sorry turn the breaker off in that coach and guess what it started right up.
I was getting a code 38 now I don't know how to erase that code??
Old 07-23-2019, 08:47 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
If front pull-out Onan genny battery starter wires are bottom center rear may be corroded by road exposure. Voltage drop on pins will be excessive on preheat/crank. Three clicks/fail to start triggers a reset timer 3 minutes delay. The contacts are not easy to access. Needs a skinny dude to get under the support bars and under the back of the unit.

Moto tool wire wheel the contact threaded posts, wire connector spuds and nut. Reinstall.

Worked on mine.. YMMV. Good luck.

Tags
generator