Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

5 Star Tune & Safe-T-Plus

I added the two items above. The Safe-T-Plus really helps driving in a straight line and makes driving much easier. We haven't had a blow out, but I assume it will help their too.

The 5 Star Tune really makes a big differance in smoother shifting and more power. I can't comment on the gas MPG savings as we haven't driven that far after installing it. I'll also add their customer service & support is great.

Take Care
Bob
Old 10-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

i'll be interested in hearing the results on the 5star
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have had my 5 Star for about 5 months now and 6,000 miles. The performance increase is noticable.
Fuel mileage increase was minimal. Mine still has a tendency to make the 5-3 shift and not use 4th if the initial increase of incline to the hill is steeper than the unit likes. It is better than stock in this regard but could be better still with more tuning. I found that I could manipulate the 5-3 shift by clicking the coast button on the cruise control once or twice just as the Rv starts to slow down. It will then shift to 4th and hold there longer.
I also installed a Scan Gauge 2 and that was a much better tool for fuel milage increases. It makes you aware of your fuel burn rate for each gear. If you can keep the RV from down shifting your mileage will increase 1-2mpg.
We also installed the Bilstein steering stabilizer shock. That was the final piece that improved the drivability of our RV. A rear track bar was the single biggest improvement.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velroc View Post
I added the two items above. The Safe-T-Plus really helps driving in a straight line and makes driving much easier. We haven't had a blow out, but I assume it will help their too.

The 5 Star Tune really makes a big differance in smoother shifting and more power. I can't comment on the gas MPG savings as we haven't driven that far after installing it. I'll also add their customer service & support is great.

Take Care
Bob
Bob,

Thank you for the feedback! I am glad to hear that the shifting and power are spot on. Please let us know how you enjoy after you get some more miles on the road =)

Chris
Old 10-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvbuzz View Post
I have had my 5 Star for about 5 months now and 6,000 miles. The performance increase is noticable.
Fuel mileage increase was minimal. Mine still has a tendency to make the 5-3 shift and not use 4th if the initial increase of incline to the hill is steeper than the unit likes. It is better than stock in this regard but could be better still with more tuning. I found that I could manipulate the 5-3 shift by clicking the coast button on the cruise control once or twice just as the Rv starts to slow down. It will then shift to 4th and hold there longer.
I also installed a Scan Gauge 2 and that was a much better tool for fuel milage increases. It makes you aware of your fuel burn rate for each gear. If you can keep the RV from down shifting your mileage will increase 1-2mpg.
We also installed the Bilstein steering stabilizer shock. That was the final piece that improved the drivability of our RV. A rear track bar was the single biggest improvement.
Rvbuzz,

If you would like us to revisit your tune to get it to hold 4th gear longer, please give us a call or an email at your convenience so we can revisit your tune. We'd be happy to get it spot on for you!

Chris
Old 10-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I just put over 3K on my 5 Star tune and yes it will down shift to 3 on some hills and by-pass 4. Getting that little shift corrected would be much better. But as said if you catch it and give it a little gas and or take it out of Cruz as you approach the hill so it would only drop to 4th then she doesn't have to work as hard and go into that high rev mode.
As far as MPG's I have averaged about 7.3 MPGs.
So how is everyone else doing?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
I just put over 3K on my 5 Star tune and yes it will down shift to 3 on some hills and by-pass 4. Getting that little shift corrected would be much better. But as said if you catch it and give it a little gas and or take it out of Cruz as you approach the hill so it would only drop to 4th then she doesn't have to work as hard and go into that high rev mode.
As far as MPG's I have averaged about 7.3 MPGs.
So how is everyone else doing?
On cruise control at 60 mph ours will stay in 5th gear on most all hills unless they get very steep and long. Very nice. I've had 5 Star tune for about 2700 mi and I love it. Gas mileage stays about the same, maybe a little better. I'm mostly using 87 octane with ethanol so that hurts the gas mileage a bit. I don't average 7.3 mpg though, it's more like 6.5 mpg towing. I'd like to know how you get 7.3 mpg!

I'm probably the only guy out there that gets 40 mph headwinds both coming and going!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Having had my 5 Star Tune for 17 months and 6000 miles, I echo pervious posts as the tune is better. But I too, frequently get the 5-3 DS on Hills and grades. Mike tweaked my original "87 Daily Tow " but it would be nice to have more 4th gear without having to manipulate the cruise or accelerator. I average 7.3 towing the toad.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
On cruise control at 60 mph ours will stay in 5th gear on most all hills unless they get very steep and long. Very nice. I've had 5 Star tune for about 2700 mi and I love it. Gas mileage stays about the same, maybe a little better. I'm mostly using 87 octane with ethanol so that hurts the gas mileage a bit. I don't average 7.3 mpg though, it's more like 6.5 mpg towing. I'd like to know how you get 7.3 mpg!

I'm probably the only guy out there that gets 40 mph headwinds both coming and going!
Use the Cruze as much as possible and keep the speeds down to about 63MPH. I am towing my 2014 Jeep Cherokee with a full load of water and other normal junk in the trunk. I use what ever fuel is available 87 octain and no more than 15% of that nasty stuff added.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghutch View Post
Having had my 5 Star Tune for 17 months and 6000 miles, I echo pervious posts as the tune is better. But I too, frequently get the 5-3 DS on Hills and grades. Mike tweaked my original "87 Daily Tow " but it would be nice to have more 4th gear without having to manipulate the cruise or accelerator. I average 7.3 towing the toad.
If you could get us data, either notes or data logged info from the device we can revisit those points in your tune where it downshifts from 5th in order for it to hold gear longer.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Lots of posts about these two add ons. My question is what does it cost to put them on by a qualified mechanic, not owner installed
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Lots of posts about these two add ons. My question is what does it cost to put them on by a qualified mechanic, not owner installed
The labor on a Safe-T-Plus wouldn't be much. It's just one add-on bracket and a clamp on the tie rod. The over-sized shock absorber bolts onto the bracket and the clamp. I had a shop put mine on while I had them do other things so labor for it wasn't itemized.

The 5 Star Tune is just hooked up to the OBDII, and you download a program from the Power Flash Device. Good instructions come with it so it's designed for the owner to do it. A shop could do it and it would take about 10-15 minutes including reading the instructions.
2. Ford 6.8L V10 RV / Motor Home ONLY! X4 Power Flash Device - 5 Star Tuning
Old 10-24-2014, 12:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Hi Mike, how do we get data logged from our OBD2?
Old 10-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I used the 5Star tune for 50,000 miles on a 2009 Winnebago Adventurer. It made a big difference in shift points when using cruise control. It made a small difference in mpg--an increase of about .2 mpg. I have just moved back to a diesel coach and the 5Star tune and a ScanGuageII for sale in the IRV2 classified section.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
You will need to download the Live Link data logging software (SCT Performance - LiveLink Datalogging Software Updated) from SCT. You can use this software while your device links the laptop with the vehicles ODBII port. From here the laptop/device will capture your data.

From the device select data logging and monitoring, then follow these steps:
1. With your key out of the ignition, connect your device to the OBDII port to power on your X4.
Using the down arrow, highlight “Gauges/Datalog” and select it by pressing the center button on
the keypad.
2. Turn the key to the ON position, and use the left arrow to select “Configuration” at the bottom of
the screen.
3. Select your vehicle type from the list of Datalog Files provided using the down arrow key and
selecting “Continue”.
4. See “Editing a Gauge” and “Editing Gauge Layout” to configure your display.
5. Once you have your layout and gauges selected, start your vehicle.
6. To record, press the center button on the keypad.
7. To stop/end your datalog, press the left or right button and select “Stop Datalog”.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We had a safe t plus put on a couple of months ago. Everything went smoothly on our 1600 mile trip until we were on our way home. When pulling into the last campsite I noticed something hanging down under the coach. It was the safe t plus. The one end had sheared off and was hanging by one bracket. The coach has been in the shop for that problem and some maintenance work for the last 3 weeks. Hopefully they can figure out what happened. We also heard that another coach came in a week later with the same problem. It really does make a difference in sterring so we can say that it is a good product and would like to try another.
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Rvbuzz,

Data logging can be done via SCT's Livegen software. It will run on your laptop while your device is plugged into it and the RV. Here is a link below:

SCT Performance - LiveLink Datalogging Software Updated
Old 12-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

LiveLink Datalogging Software Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
Rvbuzz,

Data logging can be done via SCT's Livegen software. It will run on your laptop while your device is plugged into it and the RV. Here is a link below:

For those who downloaded the LiveLink Gen II Datalogging Software before July 31, 2014 there is a new, updated version of the software available for download from the SCT website: