Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

50amp to 30amp adapter failure

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1469400620.052436.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	134061

Anybody had a problem like this? Awoke to electricity failing and found the adapter about to catch fire. All problems were at the 30amp end of the adapter. I guess it just overheated. Had rain earlier in the day. Don't know if that contributed. I had a load (25amps) on it over 2 days.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You were right up near max amps. for days........Max amps= heat, and over a couple of days.....melt down........
I am sure there are better quality adapters that would take the amp draw better than the ones that you had fail.......buy a good/heavy dog bone adapter........not saying the one you had was junk or cheap........but it failed.
Focus on the wire size on the new ones.......
Old 07-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have seen that exact same thing twice in the last year. I worked as an electrician for many years and the adapters are rated well above 30 amps. The problem most likely occurred from arcing as a result of a loose fit. The plug blades MUST fit tight. If the plug was lying on the ground during the rain, shorting at the connection is quite possible. As palehorse stated, a quality adapter is essential. The plug blades MUST fit tight.

What makes this situation so dangerous is that arcing DOES NOT normally trip the breaker as you are still below the rated current draw. A fire can be in full force and the breaker remains hot!! Hope this helps.
mtnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I'd bet it was the campground receptacle. We've seen 30 amp receptacles that were old, lose fitting, melted, and/or actually burnt. No way i'd try plugging into these. We've encountered this a few times and so far, have always had good luck getting park personnel to change the bad ones out.

Edited: Reread your post and see that what i wrote above wasn't the cause of your failure.

But while i'm here, what is that 2nd black cord on the right? Looks like two cords coming together before the plug.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Once a year, I polish my connections with emery cloth till shinny.......tweak the tabs till the plug in is tight........spray with a good electrical spray,not in excess, and also, go over the transfer switch's contacts.......
Old 07-24-2016, 06:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmike View Post
I have seen that exact same thing twice in the last year. I worked as an electrician for many years and the adapters are rated well above 30 amps. The problem most likely occurred from arcing as a result of a loose fit. The plug blades MUST fit tight. If the plug was lying on the ground during the rain, shorting at the connection is quite possible. As palehorse stated, a quality adapter is essential. The plug blades MUST fit tight.

What makes this situation so dangerous is that arcing DOES NOT normally trip the breaker as you are still below the rated current draw. A fire can be in full force and the breaker remains hot!! Hope this helps.

Mtnmike, you are correct. The breaker was still hot when I found it but the connection had already been severed by the melting/fire. I will monitor more closely when in high load situations. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

That's nasty. In looking at this, I would say that the campground has lousy maintenance when it comes to their electrical boxes.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
That's nasty. In looking at this, I would say that the campground has lousy maintenance when it comes to their electrical boxes.

Well, It was not a campground. It was at my farm. The problem occurred not at the receptacle but at the adapter to extension cord that then ran to the receptacle. Mid-span. I had the 30amp receptacle installed back when I had a travel trailer. I will be installing a 50amp soon.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

You have to watch the length of the run from the panel. 30 amp, you need at least #8 for a run up to 200', beyond that go to #6. You also have to add in the cord to your RV. Be sure ALL the connections are tight and waterproof.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:56 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Sorry to hear that happen. The fix for this is to apply some Dielectric grease to the prongs and at every connection wrap it in a plastic bag to keep out the moisture. You will be amazed at how little moisture it takes to cause problems at the connections.
Basically what happened is that yours shorted out.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
If you look at the picture closely you'll see the damage is between the 30/50 amp adaptor connector and the OP's cord. There is no damage at the plug end of the adaptor. This failure has nothing to do with the campground or it's maintenance. It's strictly a function of the OP's equipment.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

And there is something unusual going on with the cord on the right, is that a 30/20 to 50 amp adaptor? Also the rain the OP mentioned contributed to the problem.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada