Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #1

Today, after having a new windshield put in, I drove my m/h back to the storage lot. I proceeded as I normally do and disconnected the ground wires on both the chassis and coach batteries.

I went inside to close the drapes and curtains and the propane alarm started going off. The monitor panel ceiling light was also dim and the water heater light (electric) would come on if the switch was flipped.

I called Winnie cust Serv and they were perplexed. I then unhooked all the positive leads from all batteries. Same results. Propane alarm, dim monitor light, etc.

I've never had a problem just unhooking the ground wires on all batteries.

I even taped all the leads so I know they aren't touching anything. I can see that they are not in contact.

It is not hooked up to shore power. The invertor is off.

I finally left it beeping as I had some non-cancellable appointments.

What is the problem? Any ideas?

If I kneew what was giving me power without a source I could be a very rich man, unfortunately, being electronically challenged I haven't a clue.

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #2

Today, after having a new windshield put in, I drove my m/h back to the storage lot. I proceeded as I normally do and disconnected the ground wires on both the chassis and coach batteries.

I went inside to close the drapes and curtains and the propane alarm started going off. The monitor panel ceiling light was also dim and the water heater light (electric) would come on if the switch was flipped.

I called Winnie cust Serv and they were perplexed. I then unhooked all the positive leads from all batteries. Same results. Propane alarm, dim monitor light, etc.

I've never had a problem just unhooking the ground wires on all batteries.

I even taped all the leads so I know they aren't touching anything. I can see that they are not in contact.

It is not hooked up to shore power. The invertor is off.

I finally left it beeping as I had some non-cancellable appointments.

What is the problem? Any ideas?

If I kneew what was giving me power without a source I could be a very rich man, unfortunately, being electronically challenged I haven't a clue.

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 07-23-2007, 03:52 PM   #3

Is the lot outside? It's probably the solar panel. It is only 10-15 watts, but enough to trickle charge the batteries. Why are you disconnecting the negative cable on the coach battery instead of using the Power Disconnect button? With the disconnect off, the solar panel still provides a trickle to keep them topped off. The chassis battery does need disconnected (as you are doing) because it will slowly discharge.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #4

Yes - you can disconnect the batteries leads and you will still have a little 12 volts running around thanks to the solar panel.

Your battery disconnect switch will operate a solenoid to disconnect the house batteries, but not the chassis batteries. You coach might or might not have a chassis battery switch in/near the engine compartment. I would turn this one off as well if you have it.

Like Dmadzia says - use the battery switch

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:03 AM   #5

Thanks guys! I suspected the solar charger but when Winnie didn't mention it I was baffled (more than usual).

Since it's sitting now in a storage lot I'll leave it as is and then "play" when I have it home in Sept getting ready to go to MO and TX.

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 07-24-2007, 05:06 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Chippy,

A word of caution. This has happened to me, twice. Both times something minor was left on inside the coach for an extended period, effectively killing the batteries. The propane alarm will start to sound as the last remaining juice drains from your batteries. A couple of issues come up here. If this is the case then leaving the batteries discharged will sound the death nell for them. The last time this happened to me, I managed to resurect the batteries (or so I thought) by putting the battery bank on an exterior charger for a few days, then plugging in and leaving the batteries on shore power for the rest of the week until I was leaving on a two week trip.

As long as the rig was running down the road or plugged in to shore power, everything seemed fine. Then I pulled into a campground with no hookups. Within 15 minutes of running a few lights and a radio, the entire coach went dead, and the panel showed 10 volts and dropping. Yep, I killed them. 3 new deep cycle marine batteries later and all is well again. They had obiviously sulphated to the extent that they would not take a charge and hold it. You can't tell with a meter, it will show a good surface charge, but unless a load is put on the batteries, you can't tell until it's too late that you are dead in the water. I just had to drive 30 miles down a mountian to buy new ones.

The second issue is that I discovered that many of the electronic devices in our rigs really protest about having the eletric current pulled way down. I believe that it is as harmful as getting a sudden burst of excess power come into your rig. Many of the eletrical components in my rig needed to be reset, because the slow drain of current froze the displays and just reapplying power did not reenergize the device.

My advice is don't wait til September to handle the battery issue. It may cost you a lot more grief than you think, not to mention money.

Be careful out there, Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote